Sign in to follow this  
Aeris

Fix the permissions

The "new" permissions system is messed up in so many ways and it's definitely overly complicated, to say the least. I just died at a rift because apparently my village role that's supposed to have all the settings (+ all the rights for managing roles) had riding turned off by default, which none of us knew going in. I can't even see on my settings profile that I lack the riding settings since I have an "Animals" category where all the boxes are checked and that's it, so I naturally assumed that I had all permissions for it. So this is what I'd like:

- A way for us to see what permissions we don't have

That is one of the problems, but my main beef with the permissions system is this:

- What we wanted to see in the new permissions system was a way to separate "build" and "destroy" in the house building settings, and that's basically the only thing we didn't get

Edited by Aeris

19FmQxJ.png

So apparently the horse permissions are worse than we thought. There isn't a way to allow roles to ride as far as we can find, only indivual settings for each and every single branded horse. We haven't noticed this at all before since we've used carts and unbranded horses, neither of which pose any problems. So I guess we should unbrand all horses and hope to never disconnect while out riding?

I don't see the problem, as you just need to select a horse from the list there with radio buttons, and click 'manage permissions' at the bottom to manage the selected horse

d39c53bc8c4e4e559057cabefc87f5c7.png

be55a361fedf40a6b4b69c421ab184c2.png

easy :)

That is exactly the problem - We shouldn't have to go into every individual horse to fix the settings for them. There should be a role setting for "ride" just like there is for every other horse related thing. The fact that you have to go into every individual horse IS the problem - that should be a choice one should be able to make if the're into micro-managing.

• Like 8

You could do that when you brand it:rolleyes:, being lazy could be the problem, letting anyone to 'ride' your horse is not a good solution:huh:; one thing is to ask for a search option to type the horse name and see colors for example.. if you have 2-3-5 with the same name in a big stables deed.. but to have mass permissions is bringing us to the old dark ages of the times before permissions

I see no problem here

1 hour ago, Aeris said:

19FmQxJ.png

So apparently the horse permissions are worse than we thought. There isn't a way to allow roles to ride as far as we can find, only indivual settings for each and every single branded horse. We haven't noticed this at all before since we've used carts and unbranded horses, neither of which pose any problems. So I guess we should unbrand all horses and hope to never disconnect while out riding?

be55a361fedf40a6b4b69c421ab184c2.png

Nonsense..

Just type a player name under "Name:" and click Add, the name will show under 'manually added' and than give that person a 'can ride' checkmark, that's your role for the person, you have the tools you ask for.. mass setting for the deed is not a good idea for all deeds.

So instead of trying to see it from other people's perspective you call me lazy and roll your eyes at me? Even though my suggestion would literally not affect you at all since I'm not proposing that the current micro-management should be removed?

I can honestly say I don't see your motivation to -1 my suggestion, other than that you're misunderstanding the entire suggestion entirely.

• Like 8

So you want other roles that are 'global' for the deed and let certain person/deed/alliance to have certain permissions to ANY branded horse instead; sure... I do not want to see what the default setting after such patch goes live;

I could call this 'lazy' really(not as an insult, being honest here), as the current system lets you do all that needs to be done( I truly believe it.. we do lack a search option or any colors of the horses.. in case you have horses with same names.. you're currently just forced to go manually to them.. and manage them if the two need different permissions);

it's 1am.. I just saw the post and thought you're not familiar with the system and that made me log in the game.. and I made the screens to help, instead I get yelled at.. :huh:

Yes, you're such a poor fellow for being called out when "just being honest" and calling people lazy. I am not sure if you're expecting sympathy here or not, and I really don't care since this thread is about a suggestion and not about your personal opinions on me. I have never talked with you before and am not interested in letting your preconceived idea of me interfere with that. It's nice of you to post screen shots, but that's as far as you'd needed to go to make your point.

Even if my suggestion was made the standard it would still not affect you, since the individual settings you can make on the horses themselves would override the overall settings. I'm not looking to gimp your game experience, I'm looking to improve mine and everyone else's who don't want to micro-manage the horses.

• Like 6

I jumped in to my new deed and spent a couple hours familiarising myself with tue new management system.

It is almost everything i ever wanted. Had to manually add everyone of my alts and the few friends allowed on deed to be able to:

Pass gates

Ride horse

Do ###### anything.

Trial and error and tbh I do not know how secure my deed is at this point.

I am learning, but If a role option was added to toggle all or nothing perms here and there with micromanagement as an option plus manual overrides of any setting... sure.

+1. Enhance my controls.

In my past roles as ships engineer, for instance, reliance on current mgmt menu would have killed me and the crew and you'd have read about us.

"Unfortunate mgmt window accident at sea"

TL;DR:

I like simple overlays, combined with indepth submenus.

Ps. New system is beautiful.

All things can be improved.

Edited by Makarus
nerfs are deadly upgrades are fun
  • Like 1

Ya, this is a tad annoying.   I used to brand all my deed horses, for the obvious reasons.  But having to set permissions to each horse for villagers to use is kind of a pain.   I only keep my personal stock branded now.
They should really have a "use/ride branded animals" permission for village

• Like 1

"Manage Allowed Objects" setting also covers branded animals

• Like 1

What other management do they obtain aside from riding branded animals?

If they can strip shoes and barding, I cannot use this.

22 minutes ago, Makarus said:

What other management do they obtain aside from riding branded animals?

If they can strip shoes and barding, I cannot use this.

Anything you can manage, you can strip and run... anything you can lead, you can lead to death and butcher/'strip' or gear, etc.. you cant kill or tame etc a cow-horse with ql99/100woa? but you can lead it? take it for a walk to a lava tile -> free horseshoe set in 5minutes \o/, letting just about anyone to lead your horse is stupid.(imo); way to kill a branded-hellhorse -> AOSP gear.. let them attack you and eventually suicide.. as you can step aside, heal, repair, and repeat unil they rip.. and gift you with gear... current system isnt perfect but permissions are ~solid, I wish we could just get a few fixes for the cases above.. :/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aeris said:

That is exactly the problem - We shouldn't have to go into every individual horse to fix the settings for them. There should be a role setting for "ride" just like there is for every other horse related thing. The fact that you have to go into every individual horse IS the problem - that should be a choice one should be able to make if the're into micro-managing.

Good argument for a change to the system. We have the ability to manage each Mount individually, you suggest Devs add ability to manage them en masse. I agree. +1

Edited by geode
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Lisabet said:

"Manage Allowed Objects" setting also covers branded animals

I have that setting enabled but I couldn't ride, so it still means I have to go into each individual horse to fix it unfortunately

Edited by Aeris

It's under Settlement Roles, which means it's only available to citizens of the deed.  

Both below from the wiki:

Manage Allowed Objects

Allows ability to manage allowed objects, that's buildings, gates, and mine doors that have the Settlement May Manage flag set.

Animals must be branded by a deed to enable animal management. When branded, the owner defaults to the mayor of the deed that branded it. Like other managed items, Manage Allowed Objects does allows a villager the ability to manage branded animals. To access the management window, right-click on your body and click on Manage > Animals. This window shows you a list of all animals that you have tamed, are caring for, or that are branded on your deed. You may untame, stop caring for, or remove brands from this window. If the animal is branded, you may select the animal and click Give direction to. This will give you a message in the same way the Locate soul spell does and help direct you to your animal. To manage a specific animal, select the animal you wish to manage and click Manage Animal. You may also right-click on the animal you wish to manage and click on Manage Animal, which may be under the Permissions menu if there are multiple permission options for that animal.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Permissions

Edited by Lisabet
added permissions link from wurmpedia

The answer lies not in overriding/removing the fine control, but in improving the UI, making less granular changes less utterly obnoxious.

Filtering options for that menu + multi-select for mass editing would be a massive step in the right direction.

On a related note, why on earth does branding horses give manual permissions to each and every citizen, and not the citizen role?

• Like 3

It's not every citizen, it's only the ones you give the role.  You can make multiple citizen roles.

Hi,

23 hours ago, Lisabet said:

It's not every citizen, it's only the ones you give the role.  You can make multiple citizen roles.

Even if it is this way - it still only adds all players that satisfy the role/ citizenship (?) in the moment when you attach the permission. Removing a member from the role (or from the deed) later doesn't remove it from the permission ...

It uses the role just to fill a list of names ("Active Permissions"). And besides, it only works with the default roles, Citizens and Ally.

In my humble opinion the whole permission system is, even if based on a good idea, still only half done. Started with much enthusiasm but too few planning, carried on until half ways working, and since then patched and band aided into oblivion.

Every other month new bugs and loop holes come to light, read the forums ...

Fixing the permissions would be much desirable, so +1.

Another example how the permission system is only half ways done:

We have 4 tiers for friends (trusted, friends, contacts, other). Only "friends" are used in all the permission system, "trusted" only in a few cases. "Contacts" and "other" aren't used at all ...

Have fun!

• Like 3

I do agree it could likely be tweaked for easier use; but the ability to specify is already in the system.

12 hours ago, Xandra said:
Spoiler

Hi,

Even if it is this way - it still only adds all players that satisfy the role/ citizenship (?) in the moment when you attach the permission. Removing a member from the role (or from the deed) later doesn't remove it from the permission ...

It uses the role just to fill a list of names ("Active Permissions"). And besides, it only works with the default roles, Citizens and Ally.

In my humble opinion the whole permission system is, even if based on a good idea, still only half done. Started with much enthusiasm but too few planning, carried on until half ways working, and since then patched and band aided into oblivion.

Every other month new bugs and loop holes come to light, read the forums ...

Fixing the permissions would be much desirable, so +1.

Another example how the permission system is only half ways done:

We have 4 tiers for friends (trusted, friends, contacts, other). Only "friends" are used in all the permission system, "trusted" only in a few cases. "Contacts" and "other" aren't used at all ...

Have fun!

I wouldn't call it fixing, like it's broken... it allows you to do SO MUCH, it's a QoL patch.. to let your friends ride any branded horses:rolleyes:.. being trusted/friends/contacts/other.. from the 'friends' list.

9 hours ago, Lisabet said:

I do agree it could likely be tweaked for easier use; but the ability to specify is already in the system.

+1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Klaa said:

*padlocks his horse*

you can even throw away the key, they're practically useless now

9 minutes ago, Klaa said:

*padlocks his horse*

that is the problem.. kind of... even 'cared for' the venerables eventually die(so have heard..) so... branded/cared-for/hitched to a cart.. being at a random place offdeed etc.. and that happens.. you loose any way to claim that QL9*/9* woa shoes/saddle etc.. being normal/rare/supreme.. and these things cost quite a lot in wurm

rifts brought life to the market of horses with the traps etc.. but also some grief to some people loosing 'rare' names/colors etc. horses that they loved for year/s.... branded/cared-for... traps and mobs there just love them! Same thing there.. you die, you lose your gear, unless someone friendly helps to bring 'your' things back:rolleyes:.

12 minutes ago, KyleBooze said:

you can even throw away the key, they're practically useless now

not really.. you could grind key-mold making.. for locksmithing:huh::wub:

Advantages to hunting in crews you can trust... though that's old news in pvp.