Sign in to follow this  
HughMongus

Furl Sails - Set Sails Ship-Boat speed control IS HERE - TY Dev's!!!

+1
Speed control in general would be nice. Our characters only have full speed and stop at the moment.

• Like 2

Thank you for your support Darmalus.

This simple docking speed - cruising speed toggle would make sailing much more realistic.

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus

I literally just thought about this and was wondering why it isnt a thing yet? It would make sailing a lot more fun also if boat fights in pvp ever occured again.. would be more tactics. +1 for sure

Edited by Themystrix
  • Like 1

+1

I can imagine using this even in a small sailboat when exploring uncharted waters that look shallow.  Sometimes coasting is a good option, rather than ramming a sandbar.

• Like 3

Thank you for your support Reylaark.

Although I am a "Skiller, Not a Killer", thank you also to Themystrix for the suggestion on how use a speed toggle for water combat.

Thanks also to Steveleeb for the bump.

This simple docking speed - cruising speed toggle would make sailing much more realistic.

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus

• Like 2

+1 more boat functions. Maybe even make it a mini game some how. Where by you need a crew to do it all efficiently.

- Angle sails to get better wind, or take them down and so on. like you said.

- but you know there should be a counter to it also. if you mess up or push it too hard. Your sail could rip or a rope could snap. This could be used both on pvp/pve. But, Picture trying to max your speed to out. To try an out run an enemy on pvp.  Then your sail rips. Boy what a bad day that would be. XD 

And what about the oars. Can we use them when there is no wind? To work on body str. ext

lastly.... canons XD I would love to do sea battles. (we all know there is a market for sea battling. Might bring new players to wurm).

Any improvement would help out ships.

• Like 2

Neutral, I get it I just do not think it is entirely necessary or eye poppingly amazing, sometimes the simplest things work best.

• Like 1

Definitely agree with the OP. Being able to cut the speed to park exactly where I'm aiming for, would be awesome. And I also love the set sails suggestion, to just go where the wind takes you (when you're bored and you have nowhere particular to go).

+1

• Like 1

This would be a big quality of life improvement.

It's also super easy to do...

-From WU code since I can't see WO, (imo) but they are basically the same.-

MovementScheme class. 

1. Add code to MovementScheme.addWindImpact() that stops adding wind affects if sails are set to furled.
  2. Make a removing method that is the counter to MovementScheme .addWindImpact() which removes all wind effects on the boat.
  3. Make a new action performer + behavior provider so the player can furl or un-furl the sails. And this basically calls the new removing method that removes wind effects on the boat.
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 5:30 PM, Benie said:

Definitely agree with the OP. Being able to cut the speed to park exactly where I'm aiming for, would be awesome. And I also love the set sails suggestion, to just go where the wind takes you (when you're bored and you have nowhere particular to go).

+1

Thank you for your support Benie.   I originally made this simple suggestion way back in 2013.

Oh and boats used to "drift" with the wind if not moored.  I remember years ago waking up in the morning to find strange boats up against my seawall and then the wind would change and next morning they are far out in the inner sea.

Educated guess as to why they removed this?  To simplify the amount of work the code had to do.

But currently if a Commander is on board and logged on, a boat will be blown around by the wind.

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus

On 7/12/2018 at 4:56 PM, joedobo said:

This would be a big quality of life improvement.

It's also super easy to do...

-From WU code since I can't see WO, (imo) but they are basically the same.-

MovementScheme class. 

1. Add code to MovementScheme.addWindImpact() that stops adding wind affects if sails are set to furled.
  2. Make a removing method that is the counter to MovementScheme .addWindImpact() which removes all wind effects on the boat.
  3. Make a new action performer + behavior provider so the player can furl or un-furl the sails. And this basically calls the new removing method that removes wind effects on the boat.

Thank you JoeDobo.  Thank you for doing that research.   Very nicely summed up how easy it would be to implement.

Yes, some have said the graphics work would be a complex hassle, so ........... leave the graphics as is.

Look how long we were standing on horses when riding.  No one complained about that.

This speed control could be put in Now whilst leaving the graphics they way they are.

Food for thought!

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy

Co-Administrator - The Albia Roads Map of Indy

+1 for furl and set sails.

Also as Mordraug put it in another ship thread For the love of god get rid of light breeze.................pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rhianna said:

Also as Mordraug put it in another ship thread For the love of god get rid of light breeze.................pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

Server: Light Breeze

Me: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 7:30 AM, HughMongus said:

Yes, some have said the graphics work would be a complex hassle, so ........... leave the graphics as is.

There would need to be a state variable of some kind (Wurm would likely serialize this in data variable of 1-bit size for yes/no) in order for the game to know when it should or shouldn't add wind effect. There is a generalized data sent to the client intended to be used as a serialized storage tool and this could be used to tell the client which model to use.

It would be a  lot of work to make a nice looking model of each ship with its sails furled. But I agree with you in that we can add the feature mechanics now and then the art can come later.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 4:45 PM, Rhianna said:

Thank you for your support Rhianna.  This is long over due.

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus

+1 controlling ships speeds. This thread is great idea.

Lowering sails animation would be awesome, of course...but...

If code is too difficult for this particular concept then other options would be like:

> being able to anchor ur own ship, when standing on the pier (so u can push/pull park it where u want it). Maybe 1st leading ur ship like a horse while carrying the anchor

> or being able to push/pull ur own ship at anchor would work too, I guess

> maybe being able to push/pull ur ship at anchor w/I a certain radius... say 3 tiles

> dragging anchor to slow boat speed in wind, but not completely dropping anchor. Can drop anchor when u get ur ship parked where u want it

> or just putting a torch to the sails. Can replace those later... anything to get ur ships properly positioned.

I do have to admit its sort of hilarious that we got to bumble about in high winds trying to get our ships parked... but... ha ha. Jokes over? pls? w/ sugar on it?

TeeeBOMB

• Like 2

+1 a thousand times to this.

I've lost count of the number of times, when trying to move boats a little, I've unmoored and gone flying several tiles, while fumbling around to find the anchor and moor again! :P

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 2

On 5/7/2019 at 1:30 PM, syncaidius said:

+1 a thousand times to this.

I've lost count of the number of times, when trying to move boats a little, I've unmoored and gone flying several tiles, while fumbling around to find the anchor and moor again! :P

Thank you Syncaidius.  The support is appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

On 7/9/2019 at 11:36 AM, Blackhorseman said:

+1 to this!

Thank you for your support Blackhorseman.  We need this speed toggle for boats.

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus