Sign in to follow this  
HughMongus

Furl Sails - Set Sails Ship-Boat speed control IS HERE - TY Dev's!!!

Furl Sails - Set Sails - An on going suggestion since 2013

We are still missing one major game improvement that would add to the realism of our medieval world.

Can the Dev's please bring in a speed selection toggle switch for boats and ships, with FURL SAILS and SET SAILS ?

FURL SAILS would reduce a boat or ship's speed to 2.5 km/ph  so you can maneuver in a tight harbour and dock your boat at the pier or wharf in a Strong Wind or Gale without risking ending up 4 tiles inland in your neighbor's house.

SET SAILS would allow a boat of ship move at what ever the wind or passengers rowing will push I along at.

Here in PvE folks love to build beautiful things, like a fancy Harbour's or Marina's.

But a fancy Harbour or Marina is impossible to use in Strong Winds or in Gale Force winds.

The FURL SAILS, SET SAILS speed selection for boats and ships would definitely enhance game play and enjoyment of the game.

We are a medieval era game and back in those ancient times, boat and ship captain did FURL SAILS to enter a harbour and SET SAILS after leaving a harbor. Can we please have this ability in Wurm?

80% of the Premium Customer base for WOL are located on the PvE servers, as per the Wurm usage graphs and just then numbers you see of people per server when you log on.

Can we ask that you look after us please for a change, with this small but very game enjoyment enhancing improvement. 

Oh.... and I can imagine that the PvP folks would enjoy it also, would give them a new tactic to use in ship to ship combat.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,

Hughmongus

Co-Administrator of the Albia Roads Map of Indy

Edit:  2018-07-21 ... I have re-added this suggestion to the Wurm On Line, User Voice Forum at...

Edit:  2019-11-03 ... and it appears that the WurmOnLine User's Voice Forum has been taken down, so I have removed the Link

Edit: 2019-12-28 ... A Lovely Christmas Present from the Dev's, Furl Sails - Set Sails has arrived.

..........  So to ALL Thank You for your support.  Our Six year campaign to get this improvement has been accomplished.

..........  Forum Mod's Can now Lock this topic.

Edited by HughMongus
2019-12-28 Furl Sails - Set Sails is here. Topic Lock Request
  • Like 24
  • Cat 1

+1

It is bad to have to dredge out nice docks just to give caravels and cogs room to turn in higher winds.

In the real world , part of navigating a sailing ship has always been choosing when and how many sails to use or furl, Wurm does not need to be 100% real , the proposed change should enough for more fun and less frustration.

• Like 4

+1 , but this has already been asked a few times pass year .

Just need reply from devs.

• Like 3

Can we add gangplanks to the wish list too? In Roman times, predating Wurm, Naval warfare was really land warfare on water. Ships would come alongside each other, grappling hooks would tie the ships together, gangplanks would drop and then essentially they had a stable platform to fight a land battle on. (One of the most extravagant examples from Roman Empire days was when they flooded an arena to showcase a major fleet battle).

If we had gangplanks in Wurm then we could actively do boarding actions to take over ships at sea.

+1 Anything that improves QoL "quailty of life" in my book is a good change to consider. The development team really ought to start thinking about QoL and how simple adjustments really help the game retain some of it's players and maybe even bring some back.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Niki said:

Anything that improves QoL "quailty of life

quality of life yes, quality of micromanaging every single thing we do in wurm, no.

Honestly, I can't agree to this, or support it, sorry Hugh, but there is enough things that we do to add to realism in the game as it is.  To have to manage sails just to be able to sail, soon we'll be flipping pans, shaking them, stiring them with those useless spoons we now have just to get a decent quality meal.  I mean wait for the event message, the meal needs to be flipped, 10 second timer to right click the pan 'flip' oh hey you get an extra 1 quality.  

Carts and wagon should break a wheel now and then, i mean seriously you've seen the terrain we go over, can you say a wooden wheel would actually survive long in that enviornment.  Or how bout a horse all the sudden 'throw' a horseshoe, and we have to stop, tame it, put it back on.  Lol i can see how well that one would go over with the pvp crowd.

Where does it end.

There is a difference between 'realism' in a fantasy game and Realistic. If you're going for total realism, a boat should be able to hold bout dam near what we put in a house, or realism means we can actually have a passenger that can access the hold the ship, or the ships should be about 100 times bigger than what they are now.

Realistically, that's not the way things are.  I mean, why not have to hold back on horses, or lean forward to get more speed, or 'balance' carts or wagons so their load is evenly distributed every 5 minutes from being tumbled around.

Honestly there are already mechanics in the game to help prevent dry locking your boat, turning around going into the wind, coming at an angle, holding the back wards key.  

I for one like it the way it is, get in and go. I don't want to have to micromanage every single thing i do with an extra 20 actions along the way. 

-1   again sorry Hugh.

Thank you for the support folks.  The more the merrier.

Cheers! Hughmongus

+1

This would be appreciated immensely by anyone who ever tried to do a decent looking parking job.

Some toggle to negate the affect of wind seems to be very easy to implement.

On 10/12/2016 at 3:53 PM, Stormblade said:

Honestly there are already mechanics in the game to help prevent dry locking your boat, turning around going into the wind, coming at an angle, holding the back wards key.  

I for one like it the way it is, get in and go. I don't want to have to micromanage every single thing i do with an extra 20 actions along the way. 

Yeah, "get in and go" is exactly how it is right now.  The moment you raise anchor, already holding your reverse key, you blast off at at uncontrollable speed and scrape your way all the way out of the harbor.  And you often have no control of your angle to wind when you're trying to park where you have to.  Finer control when sailing is hardly micromanagement, unless you then choose to better manage your docking attempts, but you would still have the option to crash-dock head first if you prefer to just "get out and go".

• Like 6

On 10/12/2016 at 0:53 PM, Stormblade said:

There is a difference between 'realism' in a fantasy game and Realistic.

As a stand-alone statement, I agree with this 100%.  But there's also a difference between adding an *option* to improve QOL, and adding things that we're forced to do (or prevented from doing) just for the sake of realism.  I don't like micromanagement either, it gives me a rash. lol

I see the OP fitting into the adding-an-option for QOL category rather than something that would force micromanagement on us.  If someone prefers not use it, they could just continue to function exactly as they do now. And of course with the smaller boats most people wouldn't need or want to use it. Those who want the ability to slow down in tight spaces during a high wind, (such as around harbors, docks, and canals), would have the option to do so. 

I rarely use my larger ships for just this reason.  Too uncontrollable.  I really hate not having the ability to control the ship in high wind, (where even hitting 'back-up' doesn't slow it down), and being dashed into the land, or docks, or whatever.  So, for me, they're nothing more than decorations for my harbor.

+1 to the OP and to many other suggestions that have been posted with this same goal in mind.

• Like 3

My thanks to Melichoir for further thinking of how this simple improvement will help all,

My thanks to Amadee for explaining why so few ppl make and use large ships, namely they are hard to control when docking or setting sail when the winds are high,

... and credit where credit is due to, my thanks to Stevelee for researching past requests for this improvement and showing us all the other times the PvE prem have requested,  in the past, this small improvement.

We have seen Crafting menus come in, new cooking come in, now a new highway system come in, all great improvements that took many months to work out, in some took close to a year.

Can this improvement be next please?

Respectfully I draw this topic again to your attention.

Thank you for your time and trouble.

Hughmongus

Co-Administrator - The Albia Roads Map of Indy

• Like 2

This improvement, as SteveLee researched, has been suggested 5 times since 2013.

I have suggested myself in the past via the Improvement Voting web site/page (which makes it 6 times actually).

Folks have been asking for this simple improvement for 5 years now, with many positive votes on most occasions.

The suggestion that a boat's, ship's top speed be affected by quality has finally been implimented.

Can we please have a Set Sails/Furl Sails speed toggle for sail driven vessels, so that one can moor their boat along side a dock, rather then embedded in a dock at a wierd angle.

Food for thought,

Cheers! Hughmongus

yep. +1.  I sail a ton IRL.  I've always been impressed with how far Wurm has taken sailing here, compared to any other game I've played.  This improvement would make it even better.  The new mechanic isn't something that would be required use, for those that think this is going too far.  Devs could probably pull off the changes with very little time and effort, if they skip any visual changes.  Visual sail changes would be sweet, but save that for later.

• Like 3

Oooo, If I +1 do I get a Like?

+1, amazing idea, would be very handy and the visuals would look awesome!

• Like 3

Thank you for your support Yiraia.  Docking ones boat should not be a struggle or like a hit and run accident.

Many folks have built lovely harbours only to discover that no one can get in there to moor their boat when there is a Gale Force wind.

Cheers!

Hughmongus

• Like 1

+1

because I really suck at parking in high winds. And also at trying to get my knarr out of the boat mine in a gale without ending up jammed into the wall instead.

• Like 3

Thank you for your support Grumpled.  I too got jammed up a the wall of the FM Cave Canal mine in high winds and Orcale himself had to come and get me out, so I know your pain.

Cheers!

Hughmongus

+1. parking in high winds suck cause of this...and its partialy why i didnt make a nice dock.... yea i'm also lazy/busy....but i had a perfect area for a dock i didnt use cause of this :( i wanted to be able to park my boat not have a wind death trap

• Like 3

+1....I might use my cave dock if I actually knew I could reasonably prevent my boat from being wedged into the wall.

• Like 4

I went out of my way in the design on my new village to build a dock that can by used in the winds, and it is still such a pain that I rarely use it. Having some control over the speed of your vessel seems like such a basic feature that it's silly that it's not in already.

• Like 3