Sign in to follow this  
Jonydowy

Long Spear with Small Shield

But a spear held in both hands should have a greater range than the one held in one hand, and the damage done with one hand should be much less than the damage done with a spear held in both hands. Parry in 1h spear mode also should be lower.

And when we get this spear, I'll ask for the bastard sword, because I don't see why you can't use a two-handed sword in one hand with a shield or other weapon 🙂

7 hours ago, Darnok said:

But a spear held in both hands should have a greater range than the one held in one hand, and the damage done with one hand should be much less than the damage done with a spear held in both hands. Parry in 1h spear mode also should be lower.

And when we get this spear, I'll ask for the bastard sword, because I don't see why you can't use a two-handed sword in one hand with a shield or other weapon 🙂

Not sure that makes sense. Range should be the same, but no or greatly reduced parry rate and slightly less damage perhaps. Shield would be used to block attacks and would add some protection against arrows.

Two handed swords and axes and such require two hands because they are so heavy and oversized, and difficult to wield one-handed, so I'd not agree with wielding two handed swords/axes/large mauls/halberds with a shield.

+1 for short spear being 1 hander! its already fairly balanced, may just need a little tweak 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thalius said:

Not sure that makes sense. Range should be the same, but no or greatly reduced parry rate and slightly less damage perhaps. Shield would be used to block attacks and would add some protection against arrows.

Two handed swords and axes and such require two hands because they are so heavy and oversized, and difficult to wield one-handed, so I'd not agree with wielding two handed swords/axes/large mauls/halberds with a shield.

I didn't said about axes and mauls only about swords, since bastard sword was a real thing.

As for shorter range in 1 hand spear, well can you see the difference in style of fighting?

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I would expect a reach nerf to using a spear 1h.  Damage too of course.  Still would be worth it for the looks if not for the mechanical advantages. 

I haven't really weighed on this yet since I stick mostly to swords, archery and a bit of shield. But if and when I do decide to go the spear route I would want the option to choose to use one with or without a shield. +1 From me.

More options is always good.  Plus a 1h spear and shield is such an iconic look... then we just need the red brush topped spartan helms! 

+1 have i +1:ed this already it is the best suggestion ever. Right after log cabin walls, and different roof styles

I feel like we might see a lot more use of spears if this was available. Plus I love the historical aspect. So many cultures used this. The medieval period Irish are one of my favorite.

On 9/8/2020 at 10:50 AM, Killroth said:

+1 have i +1:ed this already it is the best suggestion ever. Right after log cabin walls, and different roof styles

And in that order. ;)

Pretty sure the spear has been used by all cultures in human history.

Def would like to see even more spear users!

So we were talking about when we played Shroud, I have always favored the spear and shield combo.  In Shroud spears have really low damage but an insane crit modifier so when you crit you really crit.  While not a spear specific idea a bit more flavor between the weapons in this manner might be interesting instead of just strength and speed being the only real factors to damage. 

This was a glitch (purely cosmetic) but would love to see it working.

+1

. g3ym3H0.png

Edited by Hayzues
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2016 at 10:12 AM, Jonydowy said:

Do i need to say anything else?

Why can't we use that combo..It looks bad ass!!

Sureee..here comes pvp players '' yeaa but will do that and that and this and its not a great ideea'' Well! make it so that it wont be a huge deal on pvp servers.

Hi Jonydowy, i mention this last year so i can play a amazon, but they wasnt interesting doing it. It wont be a long spear along with a shield or buckler, it would be either a javelin or short spear. Wont be able to have the advantage for longer reach, but should be able to kite with a shield/buckler though.

I very much want this too, but they blew me off :(

Edited by Wildelf

1 hour ago, Wildelf said:

it would be either a javelin or short spear. Wont be able to have the advantage for longer reach, but should be able to kite with a shield/buckler though.

Do you have confirmation (a link) that they are working on this? Would love to see it come to the game.

5 hours ago, Thalius said:

Do you have confirmation (a link) that they are working on this? Would love to see it come to the game.

No i dont, i dont think they have planned at all. Maybe someday if they get enough pressure. I was thinking, i know the long spear require 2 hands to use, but what if you had enough strength, like 21 to destroy walls and structures? That would make sense if you had enough strength to use it along with a shield. Of course it would work with our model, wouldnt work on a smaller person of course.

Personally, i would put 24-26+ str to use it, for example: If the user have equip with a spear and trying to put a shield on too, there will be a check to see if the user has 24 or higher strength, if not then cannot and will get a message that you dont have enough strength to wield the shield. Otherwise you will noticed you are equipped with a long spear and a shield. Note the animation already showing the user walking or running with one hand with that spear by default. I think this should be the easiest way to do this without having too much trouble while coding the game file(s). They need to fix that spear animation though, just using one hand to jab at it, didnt look right and suppose to use 2 hands while in combat.

I was really hoping they put it in when i started playing, there have been number of voters that wanted it too. Enough upper body strength and good balance, should be able to use that long spear along with a shield as well.

Edited by Wildelf

Strength checks to use a 2h as a 1h sound like a slippery slope.  I'd prefer just adding in a 1h spear or allowing the weaker wooden spears to be used 1h. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 4:14 PM, Eleraan said:

Strength checks to use a 2h as a 1h sound like a slippery slope.  I'd prefer just adding in a 1h spear or allowing the weaker wooden spears to be used 1h. 

That because the whole weapon requirement system need to be rewritten, for example the game should start out with a short sword and maybe a buckler. In order to get to more advance weapons, such as 2handed axe, maul or sword would require more skill(s) and of course more strength is need to have the right balance. Shouldnt start out with a longsword though, that should be more than 19.5 STR for sure.

So i dont know if this 1handed long spear and a shield gonna kick in or not. Would be nice though.

I prefer more options with less wasted grind.  My priest uses a 2h sword because they have like 45 body str and we have a spare Supreme laying around.  They had like 3 maul skill before that using a 1h maul.  I'd hate to have to grind up a skill to switch to a different weapon.  Plus while combat could use some tweaking I would just be happy with the slightly greater choice.  Plus we are more likely to get a simple switch like this than a total weapon system overhaul.  I'm pessimistic so figure I'd only hope for the slightly less impossible miracle of a change. 

Bump this thread up there, instead i want to be able to use large wooded shield with this long spear. Make it count devs, lowbies couldnt use it cause they arent train or even in shape to do them both or even 2handed weapons.

Instead, giving out enough requirement of strength, body control as well fighting skills to be able to wield shield with a spear or large weapon checks. Been waiting for so long for this, doesnt look like they are going to do it :(

I have played games before where you could use spear and shield. The damege of spear was normal.or you could use same spear with 2 hands and have increased damage and shield would go to the back slot and be rendered as unequiped while weapon was used 2 handed.

Every weapon except short swords.small maul, knives or sickle could be used two handed for extra damage.

Anyway it has a +1 from me

Bumped because I'll never not want this. 

• Like 2