header.png

Winter cottage by Goldgretel

Hi Everyone,

A big week with Rolf announcing taking a step back, he'll still be a part of the team, kept in the loop with updates and occasionally helping out with some old mechanics, but for the most part will be focusing on non Wurm projects. I'm sure we're all sad to see him stepping down but be sure his input will still be a big part of Wurm updates to come.

but now...

Spoiler

Patch Notes 6/OCT/2016

October 6, 2016
  • Added title for 100 Chain Armour Smithing.
  • Scaled down damage done to armor from arrows.
  • Equip timers have been removed from combat until a better PvE solution has been found.
  • Reversed the stop leading priority fix so that you can again lead, breed, stop leading.
  • Bugfix: Fixed bug which did not prevent traders from being placed underground.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an uncommon bug which resulted in skill loss when destroying a building wall due to a conflict of deed and building permissions.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a bug which allowed a mayor of one village become a citizen of another via the /recruit method.
  • Bugfix: Logs from chopping rift trees now display the proper wood type in a pile.
  • Bugfix: Fix so that anti-looting with enemies in local checks above and below ground.
  • Bugfix: Converting to Libila while in a HoTS PMK will not also convert you to HoTS.
  • Bugfix: Fix to allow converting to a player god as a HoTS template PMK.
  • Bugfix: Tweaked the build distance for walls and fences.
  • Bugfix: A better fix for being able to stop leading a hell horse if it attacks without affecting the lead, breed, stop leading queue priority which suffered with the first fix.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a bug that would not allow you to continue building floors, roofs and stairs in the crafting window for buildings on deed.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a bug where some items which were not lockable displayed the attach lock option while being held in inventory.
  • Bugfix: Addressed potential causes of items giving the ‘cannot used while banked’ message. Improved tracking of banked items to help with further diagnosis if necessary. If you wind up with an item giving that error message please log a support ticket ingame.

Dev road-map!
We also saw  Buddas release of the developer road map, we're excited to be able to share with you what we have planned, and will go into further details as time goes on. Needless to say some of these projects will require some big changes in how the game currently functions, so we will be sure to work with you all on getting as much feedback as possible.

Dev blog coming!
The idea of a dev blog has also been a popular one, so we'll be looking at moving ahead with it! The dev blog won't be held to a strict schedule, and might take a bit to come out, but it'll focus on in depth detail on a specific mechanic or decision, from time to time giving insight into why certain choices were made, or how the mechanics behind things work.

1.3 update

This weeks posts also saw another big bit of news, the cooking update! Wurm will be officially updating to version 1.3 with the new update, which is scheduled for around mid November! The exact date is still tentative, depending on bug testing, we'll be opening it up for you all to try out on our test server towards the end of October, so please jump on and try things when it's released.

Community Question

Spoiler

Wurm has always been an intensely challenging game to learn, which bit of knowledge helped you the most?

Community Content - Testing out

With the new cooking update coming to the test server, we've decided the old bridges test map is a little outdated. And since Wurm unlimited, we've had all these exciting new maps come up, so I had a thought... The new test map will be a map that's been created for Wurm Unlimited! We've chosen the Orion map by Ausimus. Check out the map here:

That's it for this week, with the update this week signifying the push into 1.3, in which a whole heap of changes will come (not just cooking!) We'll cover all of the changes the closer we get!

Until then though, Keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 12

I'd say the most useful bit of knowledge was how the skill gain system worked. It's not really advertised and massively counter-intuitive, I wasted so much time doing it wrong as a newbie.

• Like 1

Don't forget to give Tundra a revamp and allow it to be spread (or more easily created)

35 minutes ago, Darmalus said:

I'd say the most useful bit of knowledge was how the skill gain system worked. It's not really advertised and massively counter-intuitive, I wasted so much time doing it wrong as a newbie.

I was going to post the exact same thing. The fundamentals of skillcheck rolls and skillgain aren't really spelled out anywhere officially, but are extremely useful to know, since they form the foundation of a lot of what players are doing in Wurm.

• Like 1

Wurm has always been an intensely challenging game to learn, which bit of knowledge helped you the most?

DO NOT DIE.. - you'll lose more than you'd be ready to part with:unsure:

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

Keybinds. It was many years into the game that I learned about them and tool belts.  So many wasted hours of clicking :(

• Like 3

Remembering to carry more water than a normal human can drink in a lifetime in my inventory for a 10 minute walk.

• Like 1

How to terraform properly. Took me forever to figure that out. 

• Like 2

A lot of noobies say "I don't need help, I am going to do everything myself."  That is cool, but if you don't have a lot of time and struggle without higher ql tools, you may become discouraged.  Not everyone can be good at every skill.  Pick something (or a few skills) you like doing, skill up in those, and make friends who like the other stuff.  Trade with them for the stuff you can't make yourself.  Not only will you have more fun playing the game, you may end up making real friends in the game and have lots of laughs and adventures along the way.

• Like 5

I tried to think hard but Lolabelle made it easy to me. Absolutely keybinds - and mainly because that was pre-craftingwindow times...

• Like 1

I really like the idea of the new test map too!

"Mine up, level that new tile down (now with roof flattening)"

• Like 1

Yay! My house is on announcement's picture! That's so sweet :wub:

Thanks my friend Arjen for building it and Goldgretel for noticing and posting!

Best wishes to all! Love Wurm! ^_^

• Like 4

When you're brand new to the game, and you're still building your first house, and you're cooking your first meal in a campfire you tried 10 times to light before it finally got lit... and your meal is meat from one of the first mobs you've killed and you're still nursing your wounds....  and you see a Player on a barded horse wearing fancy green armor riding towards you... (or for that matter any Player that looks like they've played the game a while and is a Vet....)

Grab your dinner before that Player takes your dinner out of your campfire. Fast. If you don't secure your meal and other stuff you have laying around that's yours they may take it. They'll tell you they are just trying to teach you a valuable lesson... that's hogwash... they're just being a jerk because they can. There's better way to warn new players about other players being jerks than being one themselves and if they truly were a real Vet that cared about new Players they would know there's a better way and use it.

It doesn't take long to find out who you can trust and who you can't. Just like Real Life be careful whom you trust in Wurm.

Edited by geode

16 hours ago, geode said:

When you're brand new to the game, and you're still building your first house, and you're cooking your first meal in a campfire you tried 10 times to light before it finally got lit... and your meal is meat from one of the first mobs you've killed and you're still nursing your wounds....  and you see a Player on a barded horse wearing fancy green armor riding towards you... (or for that matter any Player that looks like they've played the game a while and is a Vet....)

Grab your dinner before that Player takes your dinner out of your campfire. Fast. If you don't secure your meal and other stuff you have laying around that's yours they may take it. They'll tell you they are just trying to teach you a valuable lesson... that's hogwash... they're just being a jerk because they can. There's better way to warn new players about other players being jerks than being one themselves and if they truly were a real Vet that cared about new Players they would know there's a better way and use it.

It doesn't take long to find out who you can trust and who you can't. Just like Real Life be careful whom you trust in Wurm.

I am pretty sure stuff you place down is protected from being snatched up by others.

1 hour ago, McGarnicle said:

I am pretty sure stuff you place down is protected from being snatched up by others.

You are correct, it is now and has been a few years, but it wasn't always that way. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by geode

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 3:01 PM, Retrograde said:

Referring to the online Wiki. It is very well done as a reference for so many aspects of the game. Any minor inaccuracies are of little significance when there are so many topics very well covered there. I still refer to it to this day now and then for certain creation combinations or parts of the game I had little interest in before. As for learning, I always learned much more from reading about things than from other people so I suppose that is why the Wiki worked so well for me.

=Ayes=

So what project will the staff be working on then? Is it another sandbox style game?

Sounds like CodeClub is still putting all their efforts into Wurm, just that Rolf is looking for new opportunities outside of wurm