Sign in to follow this  
Sillyturtle

I want to be a smith! Good idea or bad idea?

Hello everyone.

I have only just stumbled across Wurm Online, so I'd be starting completely fresh. I have always enjoyed games where I can work with metal and forge things, so naturally the fact this game has the aspect where -everything- is playermade intrigues me. I have done some reading, but I know there is much much more for me to go into, so while I do that I was thinking I should make this post to get the thoughts of the community.

As I understand it, skill level in a skill determines effectiveness and how good you are at something and that older players who have invested time and such will have an advantage over me. That is fine and something I experienced in EVE Online. NO issues with that at all. What I would like to know though is whether or not it's possible for me to focus on one aspect and 'catch up' so to speak to those people. So, focus on Mining and Smithing with the goal of being able to produce goods that will sell for money and make my character a useful citizen of wherever it is that I end up living. Is that possible? If it is, is Smithing a worthwhile skill, or is it just really saturated?

I don't understand it completely, but I believe there are servers where skillgain is vastly speed up. I don't want to play on those servers and want the traditional experience. I want my skill levels to mean something, etc. I also enjoy being part of a community and like having lots of people to potentially interact with, so high pop servers are fine with me. Knowing that, what server would you suggest I start on?

Finally, I will absolutely be going 'premium' I think it's called. Where you pay monthly for unlocked skillcaps and so forth.

I look forward to your replies folks and if you need any other info from me, just ask and I'll reply as soon as I can. Cheers!

• Like 1

Run. Run away as fast as you can... Erm, I mean welcome to Wurk Online. Easily catch the veteran players, more so if you focus on a few skills at a time. However the market is heavily saturated with every type of item due to the games age, very few players. The market depends mostly on reputation as much if not more than the quality of your goods or even prices. Make sure to deliver them in a timely manner and improve them slightly over customer order normally works to keep them happy and returning. Trust is everything here.

• Like 1

It is very possible to catch up with patience and perserverence. Do what you find enjoyable instead of grinding just to get that skill up and you will find joy in this game. Have fun and welcome to Wurm!

• Like 3

Welcome Silly and yes you can " catch up"  but imo , it is more about the journey. Find a good village to join / active and make friends because that is what will keep you playing. 

• Like 1

There is certainly lots of opportunity to be had still. Be prepared though that the skill grind is a little daunting at first, but once you start reaching milestones it is that much more rewarding. These faster skillgains you speak of are only on WU (Wurm Unlimited), and I highly suggest you come join us in Wurm Online instead.

• Like 1

It'll be easier and more rewarding to "catch up" if you worry about doing so less. Have fun, do your own thing, and achieve your own goals.

• Like 1

No no, I don't intend to just rush out and focus only on skilling up and grind myself into a burned out husk or anything. I enjoy the forging/smithing dynamic. Something about working with metal that has always drawn me to it and being able to say "yesterday I could only make Hammers but now I can make Files too!" or whatever is really satisfying to me. Small steps, etc. As you say Ostentatio, achieving my own small goals. I am certain I'll be able to enjoy myself doing this.

My main concern was whether I'd be able to break into the market and actually be successful - that the saturation would be too high, etc. I am glad to know that it is still very possible.

Which is the server you suggest? I do like high populations.

I'd say Xanadu for sure. Still plenty of space to claim for your own if that's your thing, and it's definitely the most populated.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Budzilla said:

I'd say Xanadu for sure. Still plenty of space to claim for your own if that's your thing, and it's definitely the most populated.

Sounds great. I'll be looking into this for sure when I get home from work. 

Currently reading the guides on the Wiki to try and wrap my head around some of the stuff on Wurm. :)  (When I'm not working anyway haha!)

• Like 1

Welcome to Wurm! My way to pass 90 smithing on a few subskills was to team with great people where we worked out things for our community. The demand on metal stuff from friends gave the drive to have myself chained to the forges :)

Best approach is not to look forward for coins but the accomplishment.

• Like 1

if are new to wurm, there are lots of tutorials online including my own channel:

and All Things Gaming:

and of course, Wurm in real life:

• Like 1