Sign in to follow this  
Budda

Late 2016 Roadmap

I was hoping buddah would be the Gorbachev of wurm :( Oh well i sure am NOT repreming in november.

Edited by Checkmate

I am salivating over the UI overhaul. Wurm needs it so badly.

• Like 2

So, new player here (like yesterday new). I'm pretty glad to see the tutorial is being improved because it's pretty rubbish really, thankfully some nice players helped me out, gave me advice, and I managed to make some Rare Scissors from improving a normal pair...which apparently it's pretty cool.

I've poked around a bit and seen the new interface changes and they'll be a welcome addition. Some of the interface mechanics from the client loader through to the game are pretty dated albeit still functional.

That aside, it seems there's some very vocal PVP fans in the game based on what I can read around here (which is a bit strange to me given the heavily PVE nature of the game, but that's the joy of Wurm I suppose). What I have to ask though is how is PVP broken? Does it not work like regular combat against creatures or what?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Violints said:

So, new player here (like yesterday new). I'm pretty glad to see the tutorial is being improved because it's pretty rubbish really, thankfully some nice players helped me out, gave me advice, and I managed to make some Rare Scissors from improving a normal pair...which apparently it's pretty cool.

I've poked around a bit and seen the new interface changes and they'll be a welcome addition. Some of the interface mechanics from the client loader through to the game are pretty dated albeit still functional.

That aside, it seems there's some very vocal PVP fans in the game based on what I can read around here (which is a bit strange to me given the heavily PVE nature of the game, but that's the joy of Wurm I suppose). What I have to ask though is how is PVP broken? Does it not work like regular combat against creatures or what?

There's many threads that have been made explaining how it's not working and how it could be fixed but i guess it's not the dev's priorities even though they've been promising changes for several months.

2 minutes ago, Checkmate said:

There's many threads that have been made explaining how it's not working and how it could be fixed but i guess it's not the dev's priorities even though they've been promising changes for several months.

Fair enough, are there any links to these things? I only ask because PVP in this game seems weird to me so I'd love to know how it works (or doesn't) before I even touch it lol.

On that note I assume there's like PVP zones or something? The area I'm in doesn't even allow stealing so I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get in a fight with other players.

That said I do agree with the other posts in this thread, regular updates from developers are awesome because it builds a timeline that can be tracked...kinda like a mini product roadmap (if it's not obvious by now, I do IT projects for a living so I know how impossibly hard it can be to develop ideas and fix bugs simultaneously).

If there's unanimously known issues and it's clear how to resolve them, then slotting them into a roadmap shouldn't be too difficult. After reading the rest of this thread it sounds like that's the sort of thing that should be happening from now on at least.

1 minute ago, Violints said:

Fair enough, are there any links to these things? I only ask because PVP in this game seems weird to me so I'd love to know how it works (or doesn't) before I even touch it lol.

On that note I assume there's like PVP zones or something? The area I'm in doesn't even allow stealing so I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get in a fight with other players.

That said I do agree with the other posts in this thread, regular updates from developers are awesome because it builds a timeline that can be tracked...kinda like a mini product roadmap (if it's not obvious by now, I do IT projects for a living so I know how impossibly hard it can be to develop ideas and fix bugs simultaneously).

If there's unanimously known issues and it's clear how to resolve them, then slotting them into a roadmap shouldn't be too difficult. After reading the rest of this thread it sounds like that's the sort of thing that should be happening from now on at least.

I couldnt give you a link since they've all been archived/locked but im sure if you read through the skimish threads you can see what sort of complaints we have. Also there are no pvp zones, there's pvp servers 5 of them which many people find as too many since most of the playerbase from those servers left ages ago. All you have now is the epic cluster mostly deserted. Pvp is on at all time in those servers.

5 minutes ago, Checkmate said:

I couldnt give you a link since they've all been archived/locked but im sure if you read through the skimish threads you can see what sort of complaints we have. Also there are no pvp zones, there's pvp servers 5 of them which many people find as too many since most of the playerbase from those servers left ages ago. All you have now is the epic cluster mostly deserted. Pvp is on at all time in those servers.

Woah, the Skirmish threads are crazy hard to read. It's mostly chat logs and reaction videos/images.

I think I might avoid PVP, this seems nuts. No wonder the devs have no idea what's going on lol, this is near enough impossible to read.

This is what I hear (see image) every time someone bitches and complains about the game over and over and over again. I'm sure the dev team feels this way too. Just let them do their job. You either enjoy playing Wurm as-is or you don't. Either you keep playing or you don't. It's not worth wasting your breath trying to post ten million times about the same thing thinking it's going to magically change devs' minds. Put your energy somewhere else. Sorry... I had to do it.
6a34bd7d6cdf87645b3ebbdd73abdf34.jpg

Edited by Neville
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Neville said:

This is what I hear (see image) every time someone bitches and complains about the game over and over and over again. I'm sure the dev team feels this way too. Just let them do their job. You either enjoy playing Wurm as-is or you don't. Either you keep playing or you don't. It's not worth wasting your breath trying to post ten million times about the same thing thinking it's going to magically change devs' minds. Put your energy somewhere else. Sorry... I had to do it.
6a34bd7d6cdf87645b3ebbdd73abdf34.jpg

I'd agree with you if the promises were fullfilled in due times but as they've somehow been delayed for several months then i will have to disagree. 

2 hours ago, Neville said:

Or.. its players trying to help the game by reminding the devs what is important to them.

Equip timers have been removed from combat until a better PvE solution has been found.

Probably the best news ever, thank you

• Like 1

Looks fairly solid to me, a little sad that "Priest QoL fixes" isn't in there but thats just my private crusade so I'll forgive that :P

Nice, but we need not more blogs. Wurm need less bugs and more players!

PvP are long time more like SvP (staff versus player), i think a new meal helps here not.

But ok, have fun ...

On 10/5/2016 at 4:11 AM, Budda said:

• Tutorial Revamp

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the tutorial before this one, where you had to run through a few houses with signs, drink some water, heal a wound, etc. After mining a few times, you'd teleport somewhere. I was excited back then when I heard about a brand new fancy tutorial, only to find one that no one uses. All the noobs I've talked to since all say something like this:

"What do you need help with? Did you follow the in-game tutorial?"

"Well I logged in and saw a portal. I used it."

"Did you read any of the signs, or even the pop-ups?"
"Maybe one or two, but I just wanted to get into the game."

12 minutes ago, rangerklypf said:

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the tutorial before this one, where you had to run through a few houses with signs, drink some water, heal a wound, etc. After mining a few times, you'd teleport somewhere. I was excited back then when I heard about a brand new fancy tutorial, only to find one that no one uses. All the noobs I've talked to since all say something like this:

I like the original tutorial where it plopped you down in Newtown and asked you to chop a tree.

5 hours ago, rangerklypf said:

5 hours ago, KyleBooze said:

I like the original tutorial where it plopped you down in Newtown and asked you to chop a tree.

I don't think I've done either of these 2, I ~3 years ago I run trough the "tutorial" and just triggered popups that were way too much info for a new player.. so I MMO'd that thing.. and closed them all and run around.. looking/picking... ofc.. you cant steal at golden valley <.<, so.. eventually after reading half of that popups and checking everything... I found the portal and you get the idea... random mob wrecked me .. and 'stole' my backpack etc tools that drop.. making my starting days so much more "fun", learned to not.. explore too far from the (re)spawn point or try to swim with full pockets..

...curious what the new tutorial will be.... is it a open topic for suggestions.. or already planned and being worked on?

The roadmap looks great, a UI overhaul sounds good and I'm interested to see what's planned with the web based account system and shop update.

I hope a revamped Tutorial would do something mission like, allowing players to do it on any server (so players skipping straight to the portal and then not knowing how anything works isn't an issue). Perhaps with some small rewards to encourage new players to follow the tutorial. Of course nothing currency wise, perhaps just some basic starter items not already included in what players currently receive at the start.

• Like 1

I've done those two and the current one... and of those three I prefer the second. It taught you how to dig, chop down trees, make a mallet, heal your wounds, etc., and I did not find that it took too long or was unnecessary, but then I don't make an army of alts every year as I hear some do... and for those people that mass produce alts ANY tutorial would be a bother. As Ecrir suggests there should be some way for those players to skip the tutorial and just get their alts into main game, and for new players and players that want to do the tutorial it would be beneficial (I believe) to offer them a comprehensive tutorial with incentives built in to encourage completion.

my 2 irons and a few sprouts thrown in.

On 05/10/2016 at 10:11 AM, Budda said:

If there is enough interest, we may start writing a dev blog every now and then focusing on mechanics discussions, development decisions and just generally giving more of an insight into why we decide to do something the way we do it. If you would be interested in that sort of thing, do let us know - otherwise we’ll still be posting news and teasers for upcoming patches and projects in the weekly news posts.

Very definitely  interested in the dev blog idea to give us a better understanding of why things work as they do; also how and why they have been changed - sometimes this is not very clear, so discussion would help a lot.

I waited a while to say anything. All I come up with is this. It's my personal preference and really open for debate because I am me and everyone else is everyone else.

I pay to have fun. The more fun I have, the more I am willing to pay for it. The less fun I have, the less I am willing to pay for it. In turn, the more fun I have, the more I pay for that fun. I'm more willing to spend extra. The converse applies as well.

I'm just one person and certainly not a whale but the not so fun threshold is now closer than the very fun threshold once was. Have a care what you remove from the game, guys and gals, though I doubt many of you would miss me if/when that threshold arrives.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2016 at 2:37 PM, Mclovin said:

PVP fixes should be A MAIN FOCUS

Sorry to break the bad news/ common sense, there are more PVE players than PVP players so PVP changes are second. Gotta excite the main masses first. 

12 hours ago, polarbear said:

Sorry to break the bad news/ common sense, there are more PVE players than PVP players so PVP changes are second. Gotta excite the main masses first. 

PvP is in a bad spot, and really needs some help. I feel sad every time I see something followed by "disabled in PvP".

PvE is easy, as long as it doesn't break permissions (allowing theft) or completely unbalance combat you can add almost anything to PvE without much worry. PvP balance, on the other hand, seems to be in danger of shattering at the slightest touch.

I worry band-aids wont be enough, and there just aren't the resources to do the major surgery needed to save it. :/

Edit: I don't think adding PvE content steals PvP resources or vice versa, since I don't think they consume the same type of resoures, making focus arguments off-target.

Edited by Darmalus