Sign in to follow this  
Budda

Late 2016 Roadmap

There have been some questions regarding the current plans with Wurm, so we'd like to take the opportunity to outline our focus and a rough roadmap for the next few months.

Currently we have two projects as our main focus, the new client renderer and the cooking update.

The cooking update has a tentative release date of mid November, with public testing opening up towards the end of October. We are currently ensuring that the recipe system works and that all foods have adequate information.

Included in this update will be some expanded changes to the Rift system, including uses for the new Rift materials that you’ve been able to gather recently, as well as some small extra mechanic changes to them. As well as this there will be some changes focusing heavily on the Epic servers, including large amounts of planned bug fixes and improvements to the mission system and further Epic specific features to be introduced.

The unstable client has most of the major bugs and crashes addressed at this point, and we really urge you all to try running it. There is currently a known bug which causes random disconnection issues, once that is fixed and barring any further large crash bugs or issues we will be moving the new renderer to the stable client and releasing client update 4.0, so please do take the time to run the unstable client and report any bugs.

As stated the last time we did a push for testing of this client, not testing it out now on your system may affect your play if a previously unreported bug shows up when the client moves to stable and the current stable client is no longer available.

This brings us to November, and the next series of projects after the cooking update is finished and live. Most of these have been started on in some form already, but will be the main focus for the months following the cooking update:

• In-Game UI Overhaul
  • Tutorial Revamp
  • New Web Based Account System
  • Updated Web Shop

These projects are massive undertakings in themselves, and we will all be working on bringing these long desired systems and updates into the game, with the aim of these projects to allow greater account control, easier play ingame, and a more informative and engaging tutorial.

This of course is not all we'll be working on in this time, we have several features in the works as well as always adopting suggestions and ongoing bug fixes - not to mention WU specific changes like the modding api and better mod support. If there is enough interest, we may start writing a dev blog every now and then focusing on mechanics discussions, development decisions and just generally giving more of an insight into why we decide to do something the way we do it. If you would be interested in that sort of thing, do let us know - otherwise we’ll still be posting news and teasers for upcoming patches and projects in the weekly news posts.

• Like 61

3 minutes ago, Budda said:

As well as this there will be some changes focusing heavily on the Epic servers, including large amounts of planned bug fixes and improvements to the mission system and further Epic specific features to be introduced.

Could you elaborate on what are the bugs that you plan to fix ? 

• Like 1

I wonder, with all this improvement to graphics/renders/shadows/.. is there also a possibility to make a very very VERY low end version to launch the game with.

For example to load in alts that just mine away at rock tiles or pray at an altar? I used to be able to run 7 clients way back without going above 1gig ram usage (before multistory houses were in), but now I'm looking at 700-900mb ram/account. Feels a bit overkill for my miner who's just online to mine out an iron vein x_x

Other then that, roadmap looks promising, with cooking update being something I'm really looking forward to.

• Like 2

Dam' so many good news, that has powered my batteries for the day! ;):o

Unsure about that unstable client push tho.. old potatoes will "potate"(unless I've missed some major optimization, lower end pcs will just drop to unplayable fps).:unsure:

Where are you tribe, vote.. " You, Fairyshine, Malena and 4 others like this " +++++

Edited by Finnn
fixed a typo and dam.. RL ruined my mood soon after...
  • Like 2

Document the game fully on the wiki and not let players edit it if you truly want to school new players about the game.

• Like 1

Well, there used to be dev blogs, but they were both rather quietly retired in 2009 and 2013, and the latter one wasn't even very "dev"-ish. But I'd read that again, so I can be salty and informed ; )

I love all the plans for big changes, but please dont forget the small tweaks too.

ie, making tundra spread faster.

• In-Game UI Overhaul
  • Tutorial Revamp
  • Updated Web Shop

I like how some fundamentals to any game are going to get a work-over. It might not be the funnest thing (bit less 'fun-updates'; headaches for those doing it) but it's needed and I'm pretty sure some serious problems will be gone or easier to handle once done.

Edited by Kianga
  • Like 2

Hopefully this is one of many "Hey here's what we're working on" posts

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Budda said:

As well as this there will be some changes focusing heavily on the Epic servers, including large amounts of planned bug fixes and improvements to the mission system and further Epic specific features to be introduced.

Why waste time on this pile of poop? Theres not enough players to pvp against and there never will be, it needs 20x the players to make it viable. Not sure where your going to get them from.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Budda said:

Tutorial Revamp

Ah good the Fresh slaves , I mean new people need this. 

ofc I thought it was good as it is.

Edited by Sunnyside

3 hours ago, Budda said:
  • Updated Web Shop

I'm actually really excited about these, and i wonder if you'd release any teasers of what they would bring to the table?

I've been complaining about how accounts work currently for eons, and i'm curious what this entails.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Propheteer said:

I'm actually really excited about these, and i wonder if you'd release any teasers of what they would bring to the table?

I've been complaining about how accounts work currently for eons, and i'm curious what this entails.

what he said! also the web based password reset is all janky i've tryed it and it didnt work

Thank you for the post, @Budda and @Retrogradebut what about the last December Developer Q&A plans? I only quoted what was left unattended.

On 09/12/2015 at 2:30 AM, Retrograde said:

Home

• Reshaping of abandoned land, especially along the coasts
  • Offer name changes
  • Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick
  • Better tools shorten action times
  • More uses for the different metals (although we have more uses now with alchemy)
  • Remove all decay on deed
  • Glassblowing and consider Taxidermi skills and items
  • Sitting on ground
  • Consider items to sell on traders as expensive money sinks
  • Look into usefulness of spells

Exploration and travel

• Possibility to lead more creatures
  • Possibility to furl sail

Combat

• New creatures (Well, we've got Rift monsters, but they don't roam the wilderness...)
  • Improvement to creature behaviour and fighting styles
  • Change Battle Camps in order to create focus points for PvP
  • Reconsider the guard tower system
  • Publish leaderboards on the web site
  • Add or change loot on various creatures
  • Increase usefulness of pets (mainly in PvE). Traits.

New Players

• Ad contests/Improved referral system
  • Increasing WO awareness among Wurm Unlimited players
  • Gui improvements, try new to options to right-click etcd

Miscellaneous

• Wurm Unlimited Mod API
  • Launcher improvements, for instance checking if servers are up
  • GUI icons, both actions and items. This area could use quite a bit of improvement, both size (make them larger, scaling them down as an option is easy) and amount (way too many items miss icons).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Budda said:

This of course is not all we'll be working on in this time, we have several features in the works as well as always adopting suggestions and ongoing bug fixes - not to mention WU specific changes like the modding api and better mod support. If there is enough interest, we may start writing a dev blog every now and then focusing on mechanics discussions, development decisions and just generally giving more of an insight into why we decide to do something the way we do it. If you would be interested in that sort of thing, do let us know - otherwise we’ll still be posting news and teasers for upcoming patches and projects in the weekly news posts.

A seasonal or monthly blog would be most appreciated i think.

Care to clarify "WU Modding API And Better Mod Support" Statement? Like what is intended? 

15 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Thank you for the post, @Budda and @Retrogradebut what about the last December Developer Q&A plans? I only quoted what was left unattended.

This was a list of the major things we'd be looking at doing, but not all are feasible, or fit in with the design for the game. Others have performance issues, or require other things to come in first.

The removal of decoration decay will be addressing your bolded point.

• Like 1

The unstable client is at the moment, suffering that old paint render bug.
(if you're more than 16ish tiles away the paint disappears from buildings)

aside from that it's very impressive.

Edited by Steveleeb
counted

ThAnks for the overall planned timeline. I'm sure some of these will take a backseat to any issues that arise as things get implemented. 

Hoping to see more changes to reasons to fight over on pvp servers. And I'm really hoping to see the Wurm team to have another look at how possible it would be to really combine all accounts under one main skill tree so that the changes set forth on epic can actually be enjoyed by all of the players... Someone mentioned it might not be worth even putting much time and effort into Epic, Wurm in itself is a niche game and epic without being connected in some way will probably never see anything considerable to healthy population ever again. Just my two cents. I would just hate to see all the work go into it only to have it go to waste. 

Edited by MaurizioAM

1 minute ago, Greyfox said:

I didn't see anything about advertising......

Not in the scope of the developer roadmap

A devblog would be a great thing, I'm really interested to have a peek under the hood...

Thanks for the details of the plans!

Any chance at getting a Wurm RSS feed for the news? It wouldn't be hard and would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1