Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Standardize Wurm Time

With people playing from all around the world I find it quite irritating trying to figure out how many hours ago something occurred, or when someone else link's there time stamped logs.

I would at least like the option to set my time stamp in my logs to the server time.

• Like 5

+1 to server time or even UTC for chat timestamps. Events would be best in local time though I think.

6 minutes ago, Audrel said:

+1 to server time or even UTC for chat timestamps. Events would be best in local time though I think.

i think it would be better all standardized. If I link for example what time we drained a deed, the timestamp isn't going to mean anything to anyone other than me unless they know my TZ. 
Just as an example. Post was made by someone on a PvP server as well for context.

• Like 1

It gets worse when that miserable feature known as DST kicks in and part of the world moves over to fast time while the other part just keeps plodding along on slow time.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

I think it would be annoying, though I wish stuff like area history would be in both server time and local time

Tip:  Windows has a neat thing where you can add additional clocks to when hovering the date/time in taskbar, I have GMT which I use for uk/euros+ roughly, and Aus for those whacky dingo chasers we have

+1 if it's optional and not the standard

-1 if we must have it

Personally I don't care much about drainage of tokens and such and I mostly use logs for personal searches, which is much easier if they're displayed in local time. For those who'd like a set server time it'd be cool if you had that option though, and I'm all for it as long as it's not changed for the rest of us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aeris said:

+1 if it's optional and not the standard

-1 if we must have it

I'm with this.

I find it important to know when I'm looking for in my logs for things sometimes, especially for GM matters and I often consider these things in terms of when (in my time) I was online etc.

Alternatively I wouldn't mind the server time in brackets in front of your local time or something.

Or to those who have -1 this simply learn GMT/UTC time.   I know I'm always -6, easy math, add 6 hours to time stamp equals my current time.
It would be a temporary headache to anyone who isn't used to Zulu time, but it's a VERY easy time keeping method to learn.   Terraforming in Wurm is far more complex then Zulu time is.

10 hours ago, Greyfox said:

Or to those who have -1 this simply learn GMT/UTC time.   I know I'm always -6, easy math, add 6 hours to time stamp equals my current time.
It would be a temporary headache to anyone who isn't used to Zulu time, but it's a VERY easy time keeping method to learn.   Terraforming in Wurm is far more complex then Zulu time is.

You don't have to become insulting and defensive because people want it to become an option rather than a standard. There is a way you can have what you want while at the same time we get what we want, and there's no need for anyone to have to go through any unnecessary arithmetic procedures. Just chill out and respect that not everyone wants to waste time on pointless things when it can be made into something that can suit all of us instead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aeris said:

You don't have to become insulting and defensive because people want it to become an option rather than a standard. There is a way you can have what you want while at the same time we get what we want, and there's no need for anyone to have to go through any unnecessary arithmetic procedures. Just chill out and respect that not everyone wants to waste time on pointless things when it can be made into something that can suit all of us instead.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as insulting.   Was just trying to say that once you learn to track time in that manner, it's really easy.
Option to toggle it is not a bad idea, but if we went to UTC with the option to toggle, you'd still be left comparing your time to most people who would be using UTC anyway.  You'd still be doing the math anyway.

• Like 1

+1  and having the option to choose how the logs are timestamped would also be good.(local time, or server time)