Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Slow change of focus

On a serious note, big thanks for WU.  Many may not see it now, but this basically ensures that no matter what happens to WO (killed off, put on ice for WO2, global flare offs our internet and a lucky few still got working PC's), we got Wurm on our PC's.

• Like 6

Had some good time with you Rolf. Cant wait to see what else you have in mind.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I'm sure there's a lot of concerns and mixed feelings, sadness at seeing Rolf take more of a back seat in development, and worries about the future of Wurm. I'd like to remind you all that this thread is not the place for doom and gloom comments, such will be considered off topic and removed.

The main reason for this announcement is simple, with Budda leading the development team Rolf has the opportunity to relax and focus on other projects while still being sure of Wurms future. Under Buddas guidance we've seen the introduction of the new rift system as well as its balances and tweaks, the PvP discussions and updates, and the varous fixes and changes that have come along with those.

There is still a lot in the works for Wurm, so don't fear that this means the end of any development, we'll be releasing a roadmap later on this week, detailing our plans for Wurm in the next few updates.

Rolf is still obviously a huge part of the Wurm team, and will still be kept in the loop with all future updates and developments as he always has been.

Back on topic, I'd like to thank Rolf not only for creating this game, but for sticking with it for all these years, being on the inside of times when things get a little crazy, he's always been attentive and maintained a positive attitude.

So thank you Rolf, and best of luck in your future projects.

/Retro

• Like 20

Excellent!  I will be watching attentively to see what the dev team can do.  No pressure though Buddha.  Hehe.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Hi all,

I'm sure there's a lot of concerns and mixed feelings, sadness at seeing Rolf take more of a back seat in development, and worries about the future of Wurm. I'd like to remind you all that this thread is not the place for doom and gloom comments, such will be considered off topic and removed.

The main reason for this announcement is simple, with Budda leading the development team Rolf has the opportunity to relax and focus on other projects while still being sure of Wurms future. Under Buddas guidance we've seen the introduction of the new rift system as well as its balances and tweaks, the PvP discussions and updates, and the varous fixes and changes that have come along with those.

There is still a lot in the works for Wurm, so don't fear that this means the end of any development, we'll be releasing a roadmap later on this week, detailing our plans for Wurm in the next few updates.

Rolf is still obviously a huge part of the Wurm team, and will still be kept in the loop with all future updates and developments as he always has been.

Back on topic, I'd like to thank Rolf not only for creating this game, but for sticking with it for all these years, being on the inside of times when things get a little crazy, he's always been attentive and maintained a positive attitude.

/Retro

That's comforting knowing he will still be in the loop with what the Dev team is doing 

• Like 2

Since Budda has been project manager we have seen a ton of long asked for changes come in such a short time, i see people complaining here about waiting months/years for things without considering he wasn't leading through that time. I for one think that Rolf has found a good and passionate developer to hand his torch to and look forward to many more positive updates and over due bug squashing.

To Rolf, many thanks, good luck and have fun.

To Budda, cheers to the beginning of a new era and ever brighter future.

• Like 22

Rolf before you leave issue a presidential pardon on the fountain pans! Let us keep them!

• Like 4

I wish the best to you Rolf and I also wish the best to the Dev team as they take the step into developing wurm even more.

Edited by Gawain
  • Like 1

Id like to weigh in and say thanks to Rolf for starting what this game and the only game of its kind on the market... I would also have to agree with the few people that have mentioned Budda seems to be the right person to pass the torch to, he seems to be level headed in the direction Wurm may need to go... Most of all he does actually listen to concerns when he gets around to it and as long as you lay out everything for him and paint him the perfect picture of what your concerns are there is usually a hotfix within a few days time. 

Rolf good luck with the rest of your future projects and thank you for taking a back seat after a long winded experience... Its now time for the new dev team to shine. Continued updates and hopefully a progressive future. 

Dev team please keep up the quick work with fixes and  please also consider certain firm stances you may have and take 2nd and 3rd looks at things. 

GMs some of you well it might not be your fault as the rules may not be 100% spelled out for you as for what you can and cannot do to help people but please put the breaks on and take some time to look at every situation. Enki is still the main man when it comes to actually caring to getting to the bottom of problems. 

PR please consider sticking to your word about being available and open to suggestions and actually figuring out a way to find ways to do either free advertising or inexpensive advertising when it can be best suited for Wurm (during large updates). 

Other then that good luck to all. 

• Like 1

Rolf,

You have been an amazing developer to watch.  I have learned a lot about working with people and navigating software issues just by watching you over the last 7+ years.  I hope you enjoy whatever endeavor you are aspiring to.  If your next project is anything close to the success of Wurm, it will be huge!

Hats off to you!

Eyesgood

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Hi all,

/Retro

That is great to hear!

I've yet to see another game dev that can stick with a project as long as Rolf. MMOs are a huge undertaking, especially for such a small team, but Wurm has outlasted many of them over the past years and Rolf should be proud of what he has achieved so far. It's had its ups and downs, but there is no other game like it.

I hope you enjoy your time away from Wurm@Rolf, but most of all, remember to keep feeding the server hamsters!

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 2

13 years!? Thanks for sticking around for so long Rolf. That's some serious dedication.

Looking forward to see what the future holds for Wurm. I have faith in Budda and the others.

• Like 2

So many things I want to say, but I don't want to have a huge wall of text, so I'll keep it short and sweet.

Huge thanks to you Rolf, keeping this game going for 13 years is a great accomplishment! I wish Budda the best of luck going forward, I have good faith in him to keep this game going for another 13 years.

• Like 2

Well Rolf, I think this is a good move for you, Best of luck in your new pursuit!

And @Budda, Good luck!

#MakeWurmGreatAgain 

• Like 2

Thank you Sir for a wonderful creation you have made. The many hours over the years that so many people have put into Wurm is a testament to all the hard work yourself and the Dev's have put in into this game / community.  Enjoy your break and wish you the best on your next endeavors. 

• Like 1

Good luck in your future projects, Rolf. And please don't sell us to Microsoft :P

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, bdew said:

Good luck in your future projects, Rolf. And please don't sell us to Microsoft :P

Or EA/Activision/Ubisoft. :)

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Or EA/Activision/Ubisoft. :)

Especially EA but damn them! I love their games!

EDIT: BioWare... same thing...

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

just wanted to say thank you Rolf, for keeping wurm alive and thriving for so many years. i had many great experiences and met many good people throughout my travels in your world, a truly unique experience that i hope will never die but only evolve into the future. nothing has ever felt as big as wurm in terms of scope, and that is why we are so appreciative of it and passionate about it.

hope that it gets upgraded to a full 3d engine someday,  Unreal , Outtera, Frostbite, Chrome, inova.

i wish you much luck on your future endeavors

• Like 2

Salute and so long. Hit me up when your next project hits alpha.

• Like 2

In one of your next projects, could you make a scifi version?  I could really see digging a base into the side of a mountain and defending with a gauss rifle

• Like 5