Sign in to follow this  
Darmalus

Tab Target Near-By Enemies

Because Wurm does not have collision between monsters and players, vast numbers of both can wind up piled directly on top of each other, making clicking the correct target virtually impossible. This can happen in rifts, or when monsters are chasing your cart, or any number of other situations.

Adding the ability to cycle through hostile targets with a button press would improve this situation. Even if it had a sharply limited range, it would be extremely useful. It's much more fun to jump directly into combat than sit around waiting for an ear or hand to poke out of the crowd you can click on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigsteve said:

-1 This game is not a theme park mmo.

And this would cause that how?

Please yes, this could be the first step in UI improval that the game needs so much.

13 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Select targets by right clicking on local

I actually wouldn't mind this or tab target.

I'm personally against it as i feel away it detracts from player skill where they can hide from you, but this game cannot handle player positions very well. Nearly everyone is desynced by 2-3 tiles all the time, and boats can be desynced as much as 20 tiles off its actual location which is why i'd support it.

Edited by Propheteer

Maybe both systems?

Tab target to select hostile animals and monsters for pve (not including the mounts of hostile players?), select targets from local for pvp. Then if player position handling improves down the rode one system can be adjusted without shared spaghetti code making it more difficult than needed.

err no.. -1; it ~already exists in the game anyway.. unless you aim to bott archery on some cattle pack bought from someone.. and go out while you grind..<_<

what you're missing is... 'bind KEY no_target', that will allow you to remove any old target and kind ot grab the 1st mob near you that's attacking you in your target hud, mob doesn't have to actually hit you, just to start fighting/biting/... you; and normally people double click or ... right click -> no target, than select their pray... if you want to be 'weird' just use the keybind wiki page http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Key_bindings

but the targeting system could use some work... atm if you ride a while... and get attacked by a creature it shows in the target HUD - that's goodm but.. if you move ahead.. and that mob stops chasing you, and you get attacked by 1-2-3-5-10 bears/wolves or w/e.. you wont be fighting them back - as you'll still be targeting the mob that's 20-30-50-100 tiles behind you on the road... Problem? :unsure:

Eh personally the current target and no_target keybinds are fine.

Unfortunately while useful, the OP has too much room for abuse.

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

err no.. -1; it ~already exists in the game anyway.. unless you aim to bott archery on some cattle pack bought from someone.. and go out while you grind..<_<

I dont think you can grind archery on farm animals, at least I havent gained any skill from the limited testing I did on bulls.  Also, the functionality that the OP describes, does not exists ingame right now.

+1 On the idea of cycling through hostile non-players in a limited radius, as well as a "closest hostile" and "furthest hostile".

You cannot gain archery skill on bred animals, but you can if you find wild bulls/cows/sheep/chickens to shoot.

Aye no archery gain on bred critters. Believe that's still true for tamed/dominated/charmed ones. Not to mention tower guards.

Do get some gain from even same kd characters; however, there's a time limit with a long cooldown period as per event messages.

On 10/4/2016 at 4:34 AM, Klaa said:

Eh personally the current target and no_target keybinds are fine.

Unfortunately while useful, the OP has too much room for abuse.

I'm curious what that abuse would be?

The range would have to be severely limited, within 1-2 tiles of you, not within local.

Cycling between creatures attacking you = good

mashing tab to search local for mobs = not good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

The range would have to be severely limited, within 1-2 tiles of you, not within local.

Cycling between creatures attacking you = good

mashing tab to search local for mobs = not good

Even 1 tile (or whatever hit-them-with-my-sword range is) would be a massive boon. Rift beasts and the smaller jackals are invisible under the press of armored horsemen, and they aren't attacking you so the clear target trick people keep bringing up does not work.

Edited by Darmalus

16 hours ago, Darmalus said:

I'm curious what that abuse would be?

Finding people nearby.

I've always thought that people playing wurm have mastered the art of mouse-pointer-fu..

5 hours ago, Darmalus said:

Even 1 tile (or whatever hit-them-with-my-sword range is) would be a massive boon. Rift beasts and the smaller jackals are invisible under the press of armored horsemen, and they aren't attacking you so the clear target trick people keep bringing up does not work.

I have trouble to understand how missing 1 of 200 mobs is a problem, only problem at rifts is when your HP drops too low.. or you simply can't get in the limit to dps on a mob, there's plenty of targets:rolleyes:, and plenty of game mechanics using mouse's pointer.. somehow I'm not convinced about the need of this at all<_<

+1

even tho i just discovered the console command bind tab target

which im very happy about.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1