Sign in to follow this  
Jonas

More control over surface rock tiles

Throughout my years of playing Wurm I have found two mechanics which I thought were counter to the idea of a sandbox world.  The worst offender was the immutability of clay, tar, and peat tiles.  This issues was finally addressed and I am beyond grateful to the devs.  The second issue is dealing with rock surfaces below water and at high slope.  I would like to see the following changes made and options added.  

1) Allow concrete to raise rock up regardless of depth of water.  If it seems to easy with the current concrete system then perhaps it would be better to add concrete forms or an enhanced form of concrete like the "heavy concrete" suggested in the post below.

2) Add a way to use concrete on high slopes.  For this I would suggest a new item, Concrete Form.  It would be built on a tile boarder and allow the user to 'Raise Corner' beyond the current limit.  This came to mind as I have done several months of surface mining and a few times I went one slope too far but there is no way to repair the mistake.  One would think that in a sandbox any terraforming should be reversible, at least on the PVE servers.  

3) In consideration of my assertion all terraforming should be reversible on PVE servers I would like to suggest a tool which, like a dredge do for dirt, allow players to lower underwater rock below the current limit.  

As with all tools it is possible for each of these items to be 'abused' but, that one might do evil is no reason to stop another from doing good.  

• Like 4

I hear you for being able to dredge stone , would be nice .

But also I find that rock QL should be used properly in Wurm.

As it is now no matter the quality of rock it still takes 48 to 51 hits to brake open a tile.

This should not be , a poor quality rock should brake faster and with fewer hits then a utmost.

I would say 25 hits for poor then add 5 hits per quality they have , so utmost would be 50 .

If there worried about players swiss cheese mountains then have collapse happen more often if not supported .

I like the sandbox feeling , but somethings can get tiresome....

41 minutes ago, Damascus said:

But also I find that rock QL should be used properly in Wurm.

As it is now no matter the quality of rock it still takes 48 to 51 hits to brake open a tile.

This should not be , a poor quality rock should brake faster and with fewer hits then a utmost.

I would say 25 hits for poor then add 5 hits per quality they have , so utmost would be 50 .

If there worried about players swiss cheese mountains then have collapse happen more often if not supported .

I like the sandbox feeling , but somethings can get tiresome....

Maybe if you dont have the tools/casts to mine efficiently, at later stage of the game when you do have that.. avrg.50 actions arent that much to open a tunnel, as I remember the actions were ~45-70 for opening a tunnel but I think that have changed during my break..

I'd personally like to keep the ~50 shards per tile.. as rock shards are also a useful resource, one of the commonly sold goods on the market are stone-bricks. If you'd like to suggest picking 2/+ rock shards per action for 'weaker' tiles with higher player-skill... I'll +1 that... but I'm also ~certain that wont be approved by the devs.

@Damascus: I think you have an interesting point about ql affecting how many hits it takes to remove a mine tile but this thread is meant to focus on surface rock and how best to handle high slopes and underwater tiles.  

@JonasI was wondering.. if your idea for raising rock tiles was only for the mining-limitation under water level or in general to allow a player to raise the rock tile to above water level.. in the sense of... bringing caves to player-made islands?

• Like 1

Perhaps it seems strange but neither and both.  I made this suggestion because it is something I have had trouble with in the past and I think, in a sandbox, it should be possible.  The idea is to let players decide what they will do with options.  Personally I would use it to smooth out the edges of the island I live on and fix mining mistakes which are effectively permanent now.  If another player thinks it is worth their time to raise the ocean floor up to make a rock island, so be it.  On the flip side, if another player wants to lower said island into the ocean then I say have fun.  

• Like 2

+1  I can see why this is restricted on PVP but on PVE it is really frustrating.  So many times I have been one or two slope from finishing something only to be stopped by water or too much slope.  Then the whole project has to be reworked and often there is no way to even get it done. 

• Like 1

On 30. 9. 2016 at 4:54 PM, zigozag said:

+1 Please, no concrete limitations on pve!

[23:55:34] The concrete would only flow away.

This should be looked at. Make it consistent with surface mining, so slopes could go up to 3x mining skill. It would make things so much easier for many projects.

Edited by Sabriel

+1 i wanna build my own dragonfang on exo.