Sign in to follow this  
rangerklypf

[Poll] How long have you been playing?

Makes me feel quite young :P

I began my Wurmian journey in Feb. 2012(4 years, 8 months ago). We still had standing on horses, green costumes, destruction of an object on failure to create like a sword, skittle animals(colored animals), simpler animal graphics, no multi-story housing, unfinished items that had to be imped to finish them, and Exodus was the newest server added to Wurm(we had Indy, Deli, Exo, Wild, and Epic).

I started with a friend, who's account I now posses as a storage alt. He had a small shack established in the corner of Exodus I was able to make it to without dying once!

17 hours ago, geode said:

Confirmed. (was present as character "Kyrmius", location near Roadside Village area west of New Town). I had only been playing as Kyrmius a few weeks before this pic was made.

I remember that conversation. I was one of the jerks that told you and your friend you couldn't build where you did. Something I apologize for how it happened since I handled the encounter badly and frankly one of the Officers of Roadside Village should have spoken with you... not some socially retarded moron like myself.

I'm glad you decided to stay in Wurm.

Haha wow, it's not a problem.

We found a place to settle some time after and met lots of nice people. :)

• Like 1

I started in April 2009.  A funny game mechanic at the time was having to drop small barrels in fields to know when crops were ready for harvest.  When their height reached the top of the barrel it was time to harvest.

those were the days....

• Like 4

On 9/28/2016 at 3:20 PM, Huntar said:

Since July 2006, not sure of the specific date, but yeah. I don't really play WO at all anymore, but enjoying my fill of Wurm in WU.

Wow yeah, I started playing only a short time before that, ten years.. lots of good memories and friends I'll never forget. Wurm still holds a special place in my heart, and probably always will.

I'm also in much the same boat as you now, I really enjoy WU and having a whole server of my own. :) Though I don't play a whole lot these days, maybe a month or a few weeks here and there.

I'm really wishing they would get smart like Runescape and dump Java for a proper C++ game, oh man the possibilities would literally be limitless. Because, as fun as the game has been, it feels extremely dated, especially combat and animations..

• Like 1

Alpha Map 3 for me so 2003/4 time

Climbing hadn't been invented, Trolls were disguised to look identical to you and Horton was calling out for help with a Whosville Project

I started in June 2009 on JKH, about a week before Independence opened.

That was probably the craziest week I've ever had in Wurm. Someone told me a new PvE server was "opening in 2 days". I had no boat, no shipbuilding but was sure as hell going to get to the "new server" somehow. Lots of keels died (back when failing actually ate the whole keel) and someone gave me a mooring rope. I finished the boat literally hours before inde opened.

And that was the easiest part. I died so many times I in the first few days of inde i stopped counting pretty early on. There were no roads to stick to, no guard towers, and very few deeds with guards. But that was one of my best weeks in Wurm! :P

My first deed was a size 5 homestead which cost 10s to buy. Wurm had papers for different sized deeds before the resizable deed system arrived.

first_deed_june_2009.png

Unfortunately that was the only pic I took of it. The spot was awesome though. :)

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

Makes me feel quite young :P

I began my Wurmian journey in Feb. 2012(4 years, 8 months ago). We still had standing on horses, green costumes, destruction of an object on failure to create like a sword, skittle animals(colored animals), simpler animal graphics, no multi-story housing, unfinished items that had to be imped to finish them, and Exodus was the newest server added to Wurm(we had Indy, Deli, Exo, Wild, and Epic).

I started with a friend, who's account I now posses as a storage alt. He had a small shack established in the corner of Exodus I was able to make it to without dying once!

Am i the only one who misses those "Magical" poof appearing roof tops for housing? Like to be honest, I like that roof compared to the current roofing/floors as it kinda feels "Cramped" when you enter a room.  

• Like 3

I started playing sometime in 2007 can't remember what month but i was bored of playing the broken game of Roma Victor and started looking for that ultimate open sandbox and found Wurm. I logged in and ran around for a little bit tried to start building a house and the game was very buggy and from what I can remember just about 0 animations. I played for like an hour and logged off saying that was a waste of time. About 7 days later I found myself bored out of my mind and decided to set a 1 hour timer and force myself to play Wurm to try it again.. If I recall correctly some crappy type of tutorial was in back then to build a house or a wall of a house I don't remember full details and it took me bit over an hour to finish it like 1 hour 15 mins. Once I was done I took a look around and said NA this game is not for me and I had the quit button pressed but there was a timer so not instant log out... 

All of a sudden I am asked by someone "Are you Maurizio Lucius from RV" and I canceled my log out and replied. He said its me "so and so from RV" then he said ill be right back... Inacron appears and says its me again I'm a GM here. We get to talking and I told him I was about to log off for good as I didn't think the game was for me and he said no wait let me show you the ropes. He said to me I'm not supposed to do this bit come with me... And teleported I went to a village called Hammerfel. (I don't remember if it was 1 L or 2) I decided to try it out and he showed me the ropes. I instantly started seeing the potential the game had and I sought out to bring my RV group to Wurm. 2 weeks later found a spot near hammerfel in the woods where Roma I believe was the last deed placed in that location. 14 members came over to Wurm at the time and it was fun being what was considered behind enemy lines (south of OUR WALL) we had a good time for some time until the game started to feel stagnant and not progressing. No horses no boats, single story homes.. About 9 months in people started to take breaks and then some never to come back. We moved our location twice after that and other leaders took over when in had left. Since that point up till 4 years ago I would sub up every few months for 2 months mostly when changes were implemented. That's my story.

I first heard of Wurm Unlimited in March of this year (2016) and came to Wurm Online a month later (April) so maybe 6 months give or take.

• Like 1

6 years for me, will never forget getting so mad when I needed a whetstone and had no chisel but to finish my unfinished chisel I needed a whetstone <_<

• Like 5

Somewhere around 2008... let's see a little over 8 years.

On 9/29/2016 at 4:17 AM, geode said:

Confirmed. (was present as character "Kyrmius", location near Roadside Village area west of New Town). I had only been playing as Kyrmius a few weeks before this pic was made.

I remember that conversation. I was one of the jerks that told you and your friend you couldn't build where you did. Something I apologize for how it happened since I handled the encounter badly and frankly one of the Officers of Roadside Village should have spoken with you... not some socially retarded moron like myself.

Haha, "friend". Kylebooze, Vincent and I are brothers irl.

I seem to recall someone else there that said we could build there but then we got notice soon after that we couldn't.

I actually don't remember Roadside ever being very active since that incident.

We ended up moving over to the edge of the lake further west.

Then as we were scouting around being the fiendish noobs we were (looking for free stuff to take) we came across Onodeler which wasn't too far from Roadside. They set us up and we lived there until we decided to move into Noriyah.

Here's a pic that will always stay a memory...

BqfK6nc.png

That guy to the left is Metaldragon and that creature to the left is a Champion troll.

I became a meatshield for about 20 seconds that day... (under 15fs in plate). That wasn't fun.

Edited by Kswords
  • Like 2

x7cImro.png

Sweet! I had thought that our player-base would be more balanced between old and new, but I suppose we've retained a lot of our vets. Thanks for giving awesome feedback. I don't think I'll ever tire of this world. Keep Wurming!

Edited by rangerklypf
Grammatical purposes.

Greetings Lords and Ladies of Wurm :)

It's been 7 years for me this November and still going strong.

Started back over on GV, met some good guys and ended up coming over to Inde when the portals opened up for none-prem players.

Only took me 2 days b4 i paid for prem and still doing it (off and on) till this very day. ;)

This is a cool thread.. so many of you musty old players poking your heads up for the vote so cool.. so many of you i don't know..coming up on a year.. 

On 9/30/2016 at 10:18 AM, akaedis said:

Am i the only one who misses those "Magical" poof appearing roof tops for housing? Like to be honest, I like that roof compared to the current roofing/floors as it kinda feels "Cramped" when you enter a room.  

There are actually still some old buildings around that for some reason never lost their default roofing. There are also still some housing that is still arched or not on flat ground, pretty weird looking nowadays :P

27 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

There are actually still some old buildings around that for some reason never lost their default roofing. There are also still some housing that is still arched or not on flat ground, pretty weird looking nowadays :P

They never should have taken those roofs away if you ask me,they should have been historical!

EDIT:Also I have been around for 4 years,going on 5 :D

Edited by Jonydowy

I joined a month after inde allowed non prems on to the server, so been playing (very on and off) since then, whenever that was 2010-2011?

My start date is under conflict.

I had managed to lock myself out of my computer for some reason. High school stoner issues.

I was using my laptop... which places this timeframe at 2003 or 2004. It was brief. I died a lot. I lost 10silver at some point. Bought that instead of premium because it made more sense to buy bulk materials than skill time i wouldnt be using for a while.

Not really, now that I really know better.

My first official memories... thebones with names and images really begin in 2005 and early 2006 when I made it across jkh to the bay Ahkenaten was at.

Kinoss let me join. I wound up wandering off and dying and then rl happened again. Left a nice noobshack ruin above their mine.

Sorry man. Had I been less clueless I might have been able to make good on your help.

I met both Enki and Oracle at various points in these times. A lot of why I play today was because of the legitimate desire to help that the GM team had.

On 09/29/2016 at 3:17 AM, geode said:

Something I apologize for how it happened since I handled the encounter badly...

Man. Restoring faith in humanity right here.

On that note: I founded Makar on Exo... in late 2010? Idk I had just mangled my neck and was trying not to die. The haze is real.

Anyways. I overlapped a cabin. I forget thenname of the player but she was rightfully pissed and raged.

Offered her citizenship for free and free reign over the area. Instead she left me with a writ I couldnt expand over for a while. Wonder who that was.

Wurm has some good memories.

Some bad. It's been a part of my life for over a decade.

• Like 1

Ive been playing for about 3 years and 2 months. My first day in I died maybe 10-15 times all by those blasted spiders. I was trying to get from Greendog on Deli to the old Autumn Twilight deed to check it out :P Then earlier this year I went prem for the first time and now am saving up (jobless atm) to buy a years worth of prem. Cant wait for many more memories to be made here on Wurm :D 

7 years I've been playing Wurm (biggest break was maybe 1 month, when I still was a freebie on GV).

Oldest screenshot I found, on Golden Valley. I settled on GV near one of the last player made deeds "Mount Atlas".

There was a decaying bed closeby, which I claimed and build my house around (old remains of walls were scattered around, and a few cotton fields that gave me my first cotton :D)

9snLz4Z.png

Edited by Lycanthropic
  • Like 1

On 30-9-2016 at 6:54 PM, syncaidius said:

I started in June 2009 on JKH, about a week before Independence opened.

That was probably the craziest week I've ever had in Wurm. Someone told me a new PvE server was "opening in 2 days". I had no boat, no shipbuilding but was sure as hell going to get to the "new server" somehow. Lots of keels died (back when failing actually ate the whole keel) and someone gave me a mooring rope. I finished the boat literally hours before inde opened.

And that was the easiest part. I died so many times I in the first few days of inde i stopped counting pretty early on. There were no roads to stick to, no guard towers, and very few deeds with guards. But that was one of my best weeks in Wurm! :P

My first deed was a size 5 homestead which cost 10s to buy. Wurm had papers for different sized deeds before the resizable deed system arrived.

first_deed_june_2009.png

Unfortunately that was the only pic I took of it. The spot was awesome though. :)

That looks exactly like the spot where my deed "Havilah" is O_O could that be correct? (21x24y on the albia map https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5evRFXJXhXONkktVjE4MUJaYjA/view?pref=2&pli=1

The mountain formation is spot on and the water is in the right spot and also the slope of the land on the mountainside. if you went south on the road near the water you would en up at Oreo (with her champion animals on display).

EDIT while typing: it must have been your spot, found a very old copy of the game map on my computer naming a deed "Syncaidia" there XD

EDIT 2: This is how it was when one of my old village mates arrived there in 2010 (not to long after Inde opened up for free to play), there was a wooden house near the water, someone gave us the writ to it, not sure if it was you.

All those large walls and pallisades was what remained from an old deed there (maybe yours?) That screen was taken from a bit uphill on the westside (left) of your picture.

MHchiZx.jpg

Edited by Lycanthropic

Eight years three months, since July 2009. However, I've taken almost 3 years' worth of extended breaks away.

Eight years. HELP ME!!!

• Like 1

Around 10 years.  Messed around when I was a brat in the last pregold map, played Gold onward.

Wish I had my screenies saved throughout my playtime, had multiple computers =/

Almost 3 years, though I took some time off in the middle.