Sign in to follow this  
Cornchips

Taunting merchants ability on chaos

So right now I log in and walk around and there's 20 merchants on every deed because it's the inbred meta to store ###### on untouchable places, because who wouldn't do that over somewhere your things could get taken in a raid, everything on the server should be able to be looted with enough effort

this isn't kingdom bias

every kingdom does this

take a seat with kvk ###### or you can build another friend with all the extra chromosomes you have

• Like 1

Banks, alts... mailbox... plenty of otherways that people can keep their loot safe, this way its just flaunted infront of the raiding group <_<. All adding a taunt ability achives is letting us loot the inactive players merchants...  (because every active person would switch right away to alts, never trust anyone esp you're own kingdom lol)

Don't really care either way but claiming this fixes anything other than our need to steal whats infront of us atm is pretty thin.

• Like 1

elevation -

permanent merchants:  lol someone entered local we can just put our stuff on it as they're breaking into our houses

storage alts:  lol my alt will be stuck logging off for one hour if i try to put my gold shovels on it the alt might die oh no

if you ignore designing a deed to have a safety hole in perimeter to log off in 5 minutes that's the difference, so maybe combine taunting with the 1 hr log off on deed, don't worry about f2p garbage alts you already need over 20fs to affect someones log off time

I have not seen too many merchants used on chaos, they are a pain in the ass to use more than anything, but the odd one you find standing around with loot on it would be nice to be able to taunt as you put it?

the start of any wardeed has them as the main use of storage for decades until it's finished it's a dumb meta

The only safe place for your stuff in Wurm should be pve servers. On all other servers there should be some way to get everything.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Cornchips said:

the start of any wardeed has them as the main use of storage for decades until it's finished it's a dumb meta

Not sure about your wardeeds, but with the more than 20 I have helped build in the past year I only know of maybe 2 who use merchants for storing there junk. Maybe they get used more on home deeds, but I never pay much attention to them, don't use them on chaos myself but would be an option to store those coc shards/lumps I suppose and rare edibles.

Eh storage alts are more of an issue imho... and cheaper. and more mobile. and harder to deal with ingame.

Not that I make use of such personally :ph34r:

Besides the vast majority of merchant limitations Ive seen suggested over the years to deal with this issue have great potential to screw up legitimate merchants.

Now not my personal choice of gameplay; though, it would be a shame to see merchant players as weird as Led stop playing. Speaking of... is Led still messing around on Epic with its issues or is he back on Freedom cluster?

Edited by Klaa

On 9/27/2016 at 3:54 PM, JakeRivers said:

Not sure about your wardeeds, but with the more than 20 I have helped build in the past year I only know of maybe 2 who use merchants for storing there junk. Maybe they get used more on home deeds, but I never pay much attention to them, don't use them on chaos myself but would be an option to store those coc shards/lumps I suppose and rare edibles.

Ive been on four MR wardeeds in the past two weeks that have had a merchant on them, and quite a few JK deeds too.

+1

Accusations tend to be cheap. Words in the wind.

Now evidence... that's something with more value; though, there's an additional concern with interpreting evidence. What one considers a treasure is another's trash, and vise versa. Not to mention other concerns.

Was that particular metal lump stashed on a merchant as quickie decay-free storage or to prevent raiders? Is it a legitimate merchant?

One can easily slap a decent price unto something and still use as storage. After all if the item is purchased, the seller still "wins". For that matter, who is to say what is a ludicrous price? Highly subjective and relative as well.

These are merely a fraction of the troubles with identifying a storage alt from a legitimate merchant. Vast nuances that a human mind can sort of handle; however, creating a algorithm for the game to make the same determination is obviously incredibly tricky or it would have been done years ago. Even having GMs scour each and every single merchant would be far, far too much work, and there's still the subjectivity problem.  Not to mention bringing in possible abuse and human bias.

Edited by Klaa

I'm going to play devils advocate here. Lets say you break in to some guys deed. You pick all his containers , strongwall in his storage alts and presumably kill later or deed over , smash his mailbox and its likely that you will kill and loot him when he logs in. If he has nothing left beyond the 3 items in his bank left and possibly not the support of a strong kingdom then where is his incentive to continue. 

Im all for looting anything that aint nailed down but there needs to be some compromise like an expanded bank otherwise you are driving out people from the server just because you are greedy autists. 

But raiding is so hard that the rewards should match you cry! Sure the reward should be better than the few coppers from draining , but I'd instead argue that raiding should be less difficult or the advantage of the defender reduced somewhat rather than looking to take absolutely everything 

And fyi yes i use merchants but more as a convenience than anything else. I basically live in a large cart . Merchants are also useful in that your own kingdom cant pick into them either

Edited by Postinglels
Inb4 someone says permissions lol
  • Like 1

Somehow I agree that merchants should be tauntable and such ... but why didn't you ask for this in the past when MR was raiding your deeds? I remember there were merchants at sparta that I saw each time I rode by, and nothing I could do except dreaming for that day to come I could taunt it and grab that scale of it (yes dreams are nice right?)

I agree, but disagree to the timing

5 hours ago, Kwyzina said:

Somehow I agree that merchants should be tauntable and such ... but why didn't you ask for this in the past when MR was raiding your deeds? I remember there were merchants at sparta that I saw each time I rode by, and nothing I could do except dreaming for that day to come I could taunt it and grab that scale of it (yes dreams are nice right?)

I agree, but disagree to the timing

I'm sure if you dig in my profile you can find the two or three threads i've made on the subject. Cornchips never really was too invested in chaos up until recently to really care too much.

Edited by Propheteer

Just wondering here.. are you guys after the merchants of active players having their valuables secured on merchants... or unactive deeds where nobody have logged recently but they keep some nice things to pinata-out and profit?:huh::ph34r:

btw I have 4 merchants myself. they contain useful items such as enchanted tools. Why because fountain pans become useless soon so I secured my gear from decay there