Sign in to follow this  
GoldFever

Coal Pile QL Boost

Given the current interest in coal making difficulty, it occurred to me that perhaps a simple way to increase pile ql would be the ability to add 1 extra log after it is finished.  I have no idea how hard this would be to code but I'd rather see this than just boosting the Walnut benefit up to 15%.

Here's another idea.  Since a big part of the issue is the RNG for 23 actions to make a single pile, how about having coal piles take say 5 actions and then decay a lot faster.  It is a lot easier to hit 5 good RNG rolls than 23 and it could bring the amount of higher ql coal with decent mats up to a decent level.

Edited by GoldFever
New thought

It's been over two years now and no love yet.  It is not right that one can go hunting and get 100ql coal and yet at 98.06 coal making, using 99ql mats, selecting only the very best results after creation and adding the dirt, I still have a hard time hitting the magic number of 81.82ql on the coal piles to make 90ql coal with the walnut bonus.

I'd like to modify my suggestion above from a couple years ago to make walnut give a 25% bonus to ql.  I can live with having to make 80ql coal piles to get 100ql results.

This seems like it is most likely a very easy modification to make, won't upset the game balance in any way that I can see, and will bring some reasonableness into the process whereby a highly skilled coal maker can get the same ql coal as a hunter.

I'd also like to suggest this should be a temporary fix until the whole coal process (including coal from hunting) comes up for rework.

• Like 8

Or you know, simply allow imping coal piles with shovel and dirt(or logs). 

Considering your modified suggestion i always felt like oak should be the one that gives boost in ql so how about oak giving +25% boost and cedar taking role of oak and actually ticking more often instead of just burning longer for nothing.. walnut staying the same at 15%

Anyway +1 on anything that would allow production of high ql coal from coal-making viable.

• Like 3

ohhhh yes. I would LOVE to have the coalpiles impable. Another skill that would be more comfortable to grind - and I'm one of those who built tons of piles to grind the skill... though stopped at 80 as no rational reason to go higher with the current way finished pile QL is calculated.

EDIT: for me high ql ash production seems more important as very high ql coal can be farmed from creatures quite easily

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Maiev said:

Make it impable with log and dirt

Seems to be a common suggestion.  I could live with this as well, however, I think the 10% walnut bonus would then have to be eliminated or perhaps reduced to 5% most likely to retain the proper balance between skill level and ql output.  It also seems like a more complex undertaking than adjusting a bonus from 10% to 25%. In my ignorance of the exact code, seems like it should be the change of a single number.

make walnut shorten time between each tick

Edited by Maiev

At 90 skill using good mats and walnut I think things end up around 80ish QL piles. That's pretty reasonable for my needs.

I only have like 63 metallurgy, but that's enough to crank out all the high quality steel I need.