Sign in to follow this  
Sullen

What is preventing us from... (Epic/PVP/Lib/Sorcery/Artifacts etc)

I honestly figured we'd have seen this long before now, but I'm assuming there is a really good reason why we havent yet.

I've been waiting for a server that features everything available to a WO epic style server on a PVE only server.

So this includes, but not limited to, stuff like...

PMKs

Libila stuff (colossus, spells, mycelium etc)

Eagle spirits and the other cool epic monsters

Artifacts

Sorcery

Volcanos

Valerie movements

Ascension

HOTA  (a custom version that spawns monsters that won't leave the HOTA zone making it impossible to capture unless they are all dead, instead of just the usual lame PVP) 

I started playing WO when Epic first released, and after realising what When PvP was like, I went to Freedom and was disappointed to see how much of the really cool parts of this was being wasted on 5% of the player population , I always thought we could attract more players with all that on PvE, but that's an entirely different topic. :)

So I'm assuming there is some really crappy legacy code that prevents us from doing it easily, has anyone pinpointed this, or is it just super crap code that would require major pieces to be rewritte? 

I'd be shocked if I'm the first person to look for a server like this, so it must be a mountain of work to do it.

We can dream right? ;)

Thanks for reading, long live Wurm!!!

-Sullen

• Like 1

Its possible, i'm just not sure a lot of people see the interest.

I mean, speaking as PvPer, half the features you listed are pretty broken, unfinished, and lack a lot of the basic common sense QOL mechanics, so a lot of PvPers don't even enjoy using it without considering the balance issues.

I would assume adapting it to PvP while fixing and finishing the features would be a pretty large task, as well as fixing any bugs changing in that manner would come with.

Totally agree on any futile attempts at balancing it for PVP...

I was convinced years ago that this game will probably never attract and retain MMOPVP players en masse with the current Wurm combat system... Not even mentioning all the meta involved to compete... 

My post was just showing interest in a server that was Epic in every way, with the exception of absolutely no PvP at all.

Speaking of combat though, maybe I should start a new thread but I don't think I've seen anyone talk about completely reworking Wurm combat into something actually fun, maybe just start out using a system resembling combat systems that pretty much every other big MMOrpg has used over the past 15-16 years. (the obvious ones being WoW, DaoC, Eq2, GW etc)

Whoever does that is going to be a Wurm-mod-rockstar :) I'd even like to see it done for PVE reasons, but I can imagine how important a combat system rewrite will be to Wurm PvP. The pvp community here deserves a major defibrillation. It's shockingly overdue.

If anyone knows of a server that has all the features of Epic but only has a PVE community, please let me know, I'll check it out for sure!! 

Thanks again for reading. 

-Sullen

PMKs - not yet but we have some custom tabrds mod i think

Libila stuff (colossus, spells, mycelium etc)  - otherlands

Eagle spirits and the other cool epic monsters - taumriel

Artifacts- we can craft generic versions now on taumriel

Sorcery- golblin leaders drop sorcery

Volcanos- taumriel has a volcano.. but def no on the old style volcanos xD

Valerie movements- the valrei map is running in the background

Ascension, - collect all the sorcery on taumriel and ill make you a key

HOTA - cant remember the server but i think its wyvern that has a pvp hota zone on a pve map

PMKs: Can't be done on a pve server since tower/spirit guards would auto attack players not in that kingdom and capturing towers would still be allowed. It would turn the server into pvp. It would have to be done on a pvp server.

Libila stuff: As Aum's mentioned, otherlands is a HotS homeworld. Otherwise on a pve server you can't have different kingdoms as it would make it pvp for the reasons mentioned above.

Eagle spirits and the other cool epic monsters: A few servers have this, Tamriel, Urath.. Valoria is planning a new island soon with these creatures roaming around on it :P

Artifacts: We have them on Valoria.

Sorcery: We have it on Valoria.

Volcanos: Several servers have volcanos, again we have one on Valoria ^^

Valerie movements: We disabled it on our server, didn't see any point when PMK's and other epic stuff is disabled to keep things pve and prevent items like rods of eruptions of keys of ascension falling into player hands.

Ascension: Don't have this since we don't want player gods, too op on such a small server and can cause issues with the pve...

HOTA: Hota is a bit broken on wu. Some of the pillars don't respawn or something like that. I personally have not tested this yet but I would love to get a hotazone setup on a new island in the near future.

I think it's unfair how much is being considered unable to be done, due to how much is handled server-side for Wurm. If it were a month ago, I would probably agree with a lot of what's been said, but after having run a server over the past few weeks, I now realize that almost all of what you mentioned can be handled server-side and implemented into the game in a pure PvE environment:

PMK's: Probably one of the hardest ones to implement, it would mean re-writing the PvP portions of the game so that PvP was disabled. However, there are PvE worlds out there that still have separate kingdoms. When I first started playing, I was on one such server, where I tried to kill someone who was looking at my deed from another kingdom. It said PvP was disabled. It's possible, and to prevent spirit guards from attacking these players would take work... but it's doable. I intend to look into doing this sort of thing in the future.

Libila: My server, Wyvern Reborn, has a fully functional Black Light in the starter town. It is also not a Libila homeserver, meaning you can also play as the 3 White Light gods.

Eagle Spirits/Valrei Mobs: I'm in the process of adding this now. I added Sol Demon's and Worgs this week. I'll be adding the tougher mobs in the near future, just want to make sure I get their stats right so they don't dumpster undefended villages, since not many people are buying guards at the moment on Wyvern Reborn.

Artifacts: As mentioned, Valoria has them. Wyvern Reborn has made the conscious decision amongst it's player base to disable them and re-use the models/images for other, new items instead.

Sorcery: This is actually already enabled on most servers, to my knowledge. Just slay a few non-dragon uniques and you'll get them.

Valrei Movements: I don't know enough about this to have a say, at the moment.

Ascension: I think a lot of people are against this sort of thing, but if I recall correctly, Mythmoor has some ascended players on PvE.

HOTA: This has been done on several PvE servers already.

Edited by Sindusk