Sign in to follow this  
Makarus

Possibility of Android app.

So this should be quick:

what are the chances of setting up an official client for Wurm on Android?

Quick, see.

This game barely runs well on actual Windows desktops and you want a mobile app?

And what would the interface even be like?

• Like 1

Wurm interfacing is simple.

One long list

One multi function button. It continues digs mines inproves and repairs

Make it red.

Wurm runs fine with settings tuned. Usually.

I'm currently working on an unofficial helper app. Anyone who wants to test can shoot me a message.

Edit: For clarity, not running Wurm, but helpful information regarding Wurm.

Edited by IndiaVenom
Clarity
  • Like 1

There is no LWJGL for android, so at the very least you will need to rewrite all graphics code to run on android native OpenGL... good luck :P

Brb.

f7rJAZ7.gif

This is basically how i imagine Rolf, anyways.

Really,though. I have seen some things about java vms on android devices running java games. I imagine if this works, i can run wurm thru those.

Just a question... would it be possible to put a specific usage adapter for the wurmclient.

I've been out of the entire tech game for a long long time. I'm imagining the digital equivilent of a fabricator's workshop going in to play.

It should be possible. Efficent, maybe less so. That'd be a secondary concern.

• Like 1

libgdx and new simplified graphics? I'm not sure if that can be used to do Wurm's terrain alteration.

This game... on an android.... Roflmao.

Dude this game is definetly not designed to work on phones. (performance wise)

15 hours ago, Makarus said:

So this should be quick:

what are the chances of setting up an official client for Wurm on Android?

Quick, see.

Estimated chances 0%.

Quick.

• Like 1

there are apps you can use if you have certain hardware (asus makes one i think)
that allow you to remotely control wurm online through your pc. remote IP
ask Nicrolis for more info on that one.
but there's no unified app that is able to work with WO... that i know of.

yes! wurm needs an android app of some kind. it doesn't have to do what we want it to be able to do. 
the macro protection and game balancing mechanics would be under threat if it becomes too evolved. 

Towards some kind of development;
+1

Maybe mobile vr is the only way we're going to be able to see WO in virtual reality, if there was an app that allowed you to walk about and defend yourself but do, no work. (because to be honest, vr is no good for grinding)
there are plenty of places to take an android app.
if my VR idea has any credence, it's best to wait for Google's `Daydream` i believe it'll be very java friendly.

(i apologise i thought this was a suggestion thread lol )

Edited by Steveleeb
syntax

5 hours ago, Makarus said:

Really,though. I have seen some things about java vms on android devices running java games. I imagine if this works, i can run wurm thru those.

Android is basically a Java VM running on a linux kernel, that's not the problem. "Java games" is a very broad term.

Wurm specifically does all it's graphics using a library called LWJGL which provides Java bindings for OpenGL. That library talks to the native OpenGL system (opengl32.dll on windows, libGL on linux) which in turn talks to the ICD (drivers).

Android devices don't come with an ICD thus you can't run "normal" OpenGL code on them. Instead android uses it's own API called OpenGL ES, or GLES. ES stands for Embedded Systems by the way.

So to get wurm to run on an android devide you would either have to port LWJGL to work on GLES or rewrite wurm graphics to use something that can run on GLES.

• Like 1

bdew, are you sure? All that fancy technical mumbo-jumbo is fine but I've got a toaster that runs Linux. With enough grit and determination (i also have some hammers) I think we could get Wurm running on that, or maybe on a Fitbit. Depends on how much time I have this weekend, I need to use toaster slots 3-4 to cure breast cancer real fast using a python script I wrote using that Coding for Dummies book I got at the airport, so I'll have to run Wurm at medium settings maybe until I'm done.

Thanks for the explaination, bdew.

Possibility seems confirmed.

Development resources seem to require more than ccab would be readily able to task, the game client itself needs developers as priority.

I guess its something to hope for in the future.

Where da modders at? WU Android time.

1 hour ago, Makarus said:

Where da modders at? WU Android time.

You mean: "hey Bdew and Ago, could you please do this?"... From what i've seen those are the two modders with the skill to undertake such a monumental task. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to spend the time it would take.

The one cool thing that could come out of this is that the game interface/GUI would be reworked. We'd have the opportunity to make something that is less clicky, less intrusive or more immersive (no big GUI window covering the screen). It would also have to run on lower power computers so its focus would be performance and not detailed graphics (oh,look we will soon have more realistic shadows.).

• Like 1

Like Bdew said, LWJGL used in game to provide graphics compatibility with OpenGL on most desktop systems does not support Android - Android have built-in OpenGL (ES) bindings, but codewise it would require lots of work (and most likely game engine modifications) in order to make it run on Android. iOS/Windows Phone are out of question completely.

There are also other things to consider like how interface would look like etc.

• Like 1

Thanks, folks. The replies have been good. Very constructive responses here.

Definately was hoping to hear more "well ###### we aint thotta dat nope" but i guess not.

I'd love to see a project like this happen. Like joedobo said, it would put a lot of things under review, such as our beloved, clunky af gui.