Sign in to follow this  
enoofu

Dead MMO's

Always wondered what Dead Unique MMO's people miss 

I will start with Universal Century Gundam Online, which had around 300,000 player generated accounts on one Server

It basically was 2 fractions PVP with one almost seamless (Only when you switched from Space to Earth) world and no instances ,which was the Entire Australian Continent and one of the Lagrange Point (Earth's orbit) and supposedly they were planning at one point to add the entire World, Moon, and all the Lagrange points  in the Game

The Game have a ultima online like leveling system and rules with EVE Online like destruction and crafting

Mainly fought with MobileSuits (Mecha) and could fight in helicopter, tanks and fighters and supposedly Spaceships, Naval Ships, and underwater combat was coming out before they closed in 2007

Basically it had the largest MMO Map around 2006-2007 and suffered for it since raids would be in the hundreds or thousands of players constantly and they had to fill the map with mobs

Was a sad month learning about it closure after having 2 major rollbacks the same month

Was a member of Londo-Bell, the only English speaking clan on Zeon before it closed

Here is a few YouTube videos from Private Server Projects so you can understand game-play

Also feelfree to add your favorite dead MMO's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ_z1wwZSRA

I miss the early versions of Star Wars Galaxies, though at the time I never really got further than trying the trail a few times as I had no way to pay for the game monthly back then. Currently keeping on eye on SWGEmu and I hope they end up finishing that some time before 2020. I loved the crafting and exploration I managed to due during the trail. I probably liked it for many of the same reasons why I like Wurm.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lockdown said:

Motor city online

I always liked the look of that, and from what I heard, it was really quite good. Wish I'd played it now.

The successor to that, Need for Speed World was fun for a little while.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ecrir said:

I miss the early versions of Star Wars Galaxies, though at the time I never really got further than trying the trail a few times as I had no way to pay for the game monthly back then. Currently keeping on eye on SWGEmu and I hope they end up finishing that some time before 2020. I loved the crafting and exploration I managed to due during the trail. I probably liked it for many of the same reasons why I like Wurm.

It's pretty playable right now, I'm hard pressed to find too much missing at this point.

40 minutes ago, Kadore said:

It's pretty playable right now, I'm hard pressed to find too much missing at this point.

You must equip your rose tinted glasses in order to see what is missing.

Quite a few dead MMOs that were great at their peak...

Although what surprises me is how many are still alive after 10+ years online.

Tinkered briefly with SW Galaxies and was meaning to come back to it when I heard it shutdown.

Heard not too long ago on Kotaku, there's some fan servers of a legacy version still running.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:59 AM, Lockdown said:

Motor city online

Yes!  I loved that game.  Was very sad to see it go.

• Like 1

A great body of us are patiently waiting for the next Cyberpunk MMO.
 we have been, since we gave up waiting for Funcom to deliver on their long forgotten promise of an upgraded AO engine..

This may be something to look forward to.
http://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cyberpunk-2077-vehicles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077

I wish i'd played Neocron

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 2

Tabula Rasa. That game had some issues, but it's the only dead mmo that I hold real nostalgic feelings for.

• Like 2