Sign in to follow this  
thesisus

campfire wards off mobs

@Finnn

I use campfires all the time and I don't consider them "miserable" as they are now. I play low skill characters with no enchants, no meditation, just raw fire and iron and wood and skills... in the same manner as the game was years ago. Back then it was rare to have any item with an enchant on it. I don't perceive Wurm as "miserable" by any stretch (and also the Wiki itself says Wurm is supposed to be a survival MMO). Granted, with enchanted weapons such as LT and fountain pans and all the other items that negate some key design systems of Wurm perhaps the game is as you describe it "(pve)wurm is not that 'survival'", but to me it most certainly IS. It's not surprising that Wurm may not seem like a survival MMO considering all the "QoL" stuff added to the game over the years that in some cases are flat out in opposition to the original game design. I play it without the QoL and convenience items that make the game easier because I enjoy doing so.

However as you say you see some aspects of Wurm as miserable and consider my suggestion a nerf... a nerf to what exactly I wonder? Is there some way to get extra Rares using a campfire I don't know about? Or some other "metagame" use not well known? Would be helpful to know why you see my suggestion in such a negative light.

I consider my suggestion as an attempt in refining the use of items/tools that use fire into more specific uses that allow for more customization of each class of item later on and to assist in isolating future bugs and exploits. If the Devs were to add a warding functionality to campfires as per the OP then now would be a good time to separate the items in the Code if nothing else for ease of future changes and fixes, assuming they aren't already separate of course.

I can see we basically disagree on what Wurm is and what it should be, and what items should be in it and how they function. We aren't going to agree on much that is obvious. We each have our own minds on this and that's cool and thanks for the discussion.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

This is an awesome idea that would help provide the increased survival for new players they have been aiming for

• Like 2

+1.

But if cooking, increased aggro.

Draw them in. That succulent tastey bacon drawing in bears for miles.

Yumyum aggro +1

9 hours ago, Makarus said:

+1.

But if cooking, increased aggro.

Draw them in. That succulent tastey bacon drawing in bears for miles.

Yumyum aggro +1

exploitable.. it just draws any mob near by... we'd all just lit a fire in locals and wait for 10-15min to clear the mobs for fs:rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 09/18/2016 at 10:40 AM, geode said:

If Server load is that much of an issue, and it always is, then look to Players Deeds and how much STUFF some Players are packing into them. That's the real culprit in server loading.

Ya'll keep ya hands out they stuff.

14 hours ago, Finnn said:

exploitable.. it just draws any mob near by... we'd all just lit a fire in locals and wait for 10-15min to clear the mobs for fs:rolleyes:

Aggros be howling like "Gondor calls for aid!" Rushing like the horde of some zombie movie.

Brb lighting the largest fire the north has ever seen.