Sign in to follow this  
thesisus

campfire wards off mobs

It's common knowledge that animals have a natural fear of fire so campfires tend to keep hungry predators at bay; except in Wurm.  It would be nice if when night falls and I'm on a journey that I could light a fire and keep mobs at a safe distance.  My protection would diminish in relation to the about of natural light as the night shifts to day.

• Like 5

+1 This sure would be a nice addition, not only for protection but also for rp.

Tent and campfire for the newbie, while the mobs circle 5 tiles away!

Edit: And for me since I wear a white outfit to my cow hat, and wont be able to change armour unless I stay out of combat for at least 2 minutes.

Edited by Cecci
personal remark

Great suggestion Thesisus! This would be helpful to both new and old players and is a fitting benefit for campfires at night. I remember long ago on Golden Valley I used to light up a number of them just to provide light for the areas where I was working. Also for the warm effect of the reflections. Too bad they had no effect on the aggros but they were far fewer there than on the current servers anyway, so would be much more useful on them.

=Ayes=

IDK as good as it might sound to scare the fog spiders away during foggy nights.., how's a troll going to be scared from your fire? humanoids obviously will ignore the campfire/torch. As for the rest of the mobs.. maybe it should scare just some of them.. and let some of the fierce ones come and play? Scaring all mobs seems unrealistic.

"I'll go to the forest for 'shrooms; - John!? Get your armor and sword!; Naaahh.. It's oookk.. I have kindling/torch/ and steel&flint" :rolleyes:

+1

Great for new players travelling.  Want to rest safely and heal?  Light a campfire!

32 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

+1

Great for new players travelling.  Want to rest safely and heal?  Light a campfire!

+1 Healing modification sounds good, I do remember old times.. no gear, no nothing.. a pheasant takes  80 , 90% of your life and you're left there with a huge foraging timer and no cotton to bandage, no natural substances skill to mix any herbs without failing most of the time and loosing the herbs.., and if you had any of the above, you can fail and lose the material you worked with.. that repeats until wounds are healed, than comes the time for healing ticks

• Like 1

On the flip side, "intelligent" mobs and hell mobs would be attracted to it.....

• Like 2

On 9/16/2016 at 1:34 PM, Finnn said:

IDK as good as it might sound to scare the fog spiders away during foggy nights.., how's a troll going to be scared from your fire? humanoids obviously will ignore the campfire/torch. As for the rest of the mobs.. maybe it should scare just some of them.. and let some of the fierce ones come and play? Scaring all mobs seems unrealistic.

That's a good point... I wouldn't want it to nerf the night too much.  Humanoids should be curious about the light perhaps drawn to it.  And it wouldn't make much sense for lava spiders to be afraid of fire either although they should remain indifferent to it.

+1, non humanoid and non hell/lava creatures should avoid fire.

As a noob back in the days of really poor starter gear I tried using campfires to ward off mobs while building a shack and was pretty disappointed that it didnt work.

Would be a nice effect for sure,

But: what is the impact on server load? Server would need to check for campfires or lights for every mob move. What is with other sources of fire or light? Lamps, torches, lanterns, burning ovens and forges? What is the range? And, finally, what happens when someone dumps 100 campfires or lamps into a forest? I've no doubt some player will just do that sooner or later.

+1 to suggestion for wild creatures (non-humanoid and non-fire based) to fear fire and keep their distance. The amount of extra campfires this would add to the total current number on each server is almost negligible. The Players that would find this suggestion very useful include the survivalist bunch but also new players. Consider it a QoL feature and a Player retention feature if nothing else.

+1 for assigned Campfires as a separate game feature, such as lanterns/lamps are a separate feature from ovens/forges. It's ridiculous to think I can make a 90QL campfire and Imp my weapon in it as well as I could in a Forge. Time long overdue to separate Campfires from Forges/Ovens (if not separate all Fire "tools"). Easier to keep on eye on the real effects of the different kinds of Fire "tools" used ingame.

If Server load is that much of an issue, and it always is, then look to Players Deeds and how much STUFF some Players are packing into them. That's the real culprit in server loading.

Edited by geode
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Eobersig said:

Would be a nice effect for sure,

But: what is the impact on server load? Server would need to check for campfires or lights for every mob move. What is with other sources of fire or light? Lamps, torches, lanterns, burning ovens and forges? What is the range? And, finally, what happens when someone dumps 100 campfires or lamps into a forest? I've no doubt some player will just do that sooner or later.

It could be done to check for nearby campfire/torch when the animal's (just about to be)attacking the player. That way it will cause little to no extra server load.. best part.. triggers only when players are around and the animals are about to target the player and attack

It will be a good idea to add some 'fear' for the animals who don't like fire and command the *AI to move the mob away from the campfire/torch.. so they don't just stay around the and lag the servers with same checks nonstop.....

*about the AI part.. best to move the mob in the most unlikely for the mob direction so it doesn't just circle back in 2-3-5 minutes to loop the same cycle 

1 hour ago, geode said:

+1 for assigned Campfires as a separate game feature, such as lanterns/lamps are a separate feature from ovens/forges. It's ridiculous to think I can make a 90QL campfire and Imp my weapon in it as well as I could in a Forge. Time long overdue to separate Campfires from Forges/Ovens (if not separate all Fire "tools"). Easier to keep on eye on the real effects of the different kinds of Fire "tools" used ingame.

-1 /edit: keep them as they are/, campfires are the most basic thing you can use to do things like smelting iron to make starter tools, etc.., if you start a new character and cant find clay for days.. GOOD LUCK making a forge; campfires have their own penalty.. heating/smelting ore takes a long time :wacko:, I personally REALLY LIKE the model of the campfire with meat in it - savage bbq^_^ but... who does even remember how that looks? who does ever use that after day 1 or week 1.. of their gameplay:mellow:

Edited by Finnn

There's already something like this in the code I don't understand how all of it works but copy/paste the ward spell over to a constant effect of a campfire

As for fire effect type creatures such as hellhounds, lava spiders and lava fiends, they fear fire more than all others since they fled from the core of Wurm to escape its burning effects. At the surface level they have at least reduced the intense pain of it and instinctively realize that if they get too close to any types of open fires that they will explode into a million fiery shards and burn out in the darkness of the night.

The humanoid creatures such as Trolls and Goblins fear fire as well since with their poor eyesight fire casts numerous distorted reflections of player characters expanding, contracting and dancing in a crazed frenzy in the night. Then they retreat to hide in the shadows until dawn's light to pounce upon their hapless victims while they are still dazed, waking from their poor sleepless night.

So you see fire will repel all of Wurm's pestilent creatures and even burn you too if you play around with it. So be careful out there!

=Ayes=

• Like 4

And in reverse, piles of raw, decaying meat and corpses attract predators.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ayes said:

As for fire effect type creatures such as hellhounds, lava spiders and lava fiends, they fear fire more than all others since they fled from the core of Wurm to escape its burning effects. At the surface level they have at least reduced the intense pain of it and instinctively realize that if they get too close to any types of open fires that they will explode into a million fiery shards and burn out in the darkness of the night.

The humanoid creatures such as Trolls and Goblins fear fire as well since with their poor eyesight fire casts numerous distorted reflections of player characters expanding, contracting and dancing in a crazed frenzy in the night. Then they retreat to hide in the shadows until dawn's light to pounce upon their hapless victims while they are still dazed, waking from their poor sleepless night.

So you see fire will repel all of Wurm's pestilent creatures and even burn you too if you play around with it. So be careful out there!

=Ayes=

Call me 'simple' but I'd still bid on humanoids to be not afraid of fire.. and hell mobs to be not bothered by fire as they are 'on-fire' constantly :rolleyes:

Mythology's a fun thing, but myths are.. myths for a reason ;)

4 hours ago, Klaa said:

And in reverse, piles of raw, decaying meat and corpses attract predators.

Decaying corpses procedure could spawn mobs after a tick or 2 of damage on the corpse and in case of more corpses at certain spots.. to maybe pop a mob spawner, but that's easy to exploit.. idea could use some work I guess ^^

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Finnn said:

-1 /edit: keep them as they are/, campfires are the most basic thing you can use to do things like smelting iron to make starter tools, etc.., if you start a new character and cant find clay for days.. GOOD LUCK making a forge; campfires have their own penalty.. heating/smelting ore takes a long time :wacko:, I personally REALLY LIKE the model of the campfire with meat in it - savage bbq^_^ but... who does even remember how that looks? who does ever use that after day 1 or week 1.. of their gameplay:mellow:

You read into my statements more than what I intended. Allow me to clarify since I am the one with the social/communication disability.

...Campfires to make nails, small anvil, large anvil... basically any item, weapon, armor to about QL 40 or so... cooking meals, smelting ore....Yes... is perfectly within the realm of what should be possible in a Campfire. I think all that should remain as is.

...Improve a very high quality (40 or 50QL+) item, weapon, armor and/or an enchanted tool, weapon, armor in a campfire? No way that's believable to me in a survival MMO at all and is why I suggested a change. Save those  kind of activities for a Forge, a facility designed for such work, a facility developed in RL by Man to accomplish what Man could not do well in a Campfire. My proposed restrictions would only involve these high QL and/or Enchanted items.

As per your comments everything you would want or need to do as a new Player would still be possible with a Campfire AND would be in line with the intent of my original comments. Any serious WS/AS is going to have a full Forge setup already and my proposed restrictions would not affect them in the least.

Edited by geode

I don't see the need for nerfing the campfires.. they are really annoying to keep fueled, their heating time is horrible, that's 2 good reasons to NOT use them, campfires also reduce QL of the smelted ore by -15-20% <_<.

You could ask for higher difficulty or w/e.. make imping at a campfire to be tougher.. but I really don't see the point to make it more miserable than how it is already:unsure:.

(pve)wurm is not that 'survival', let me stop there.. you don't want me to explain further...

Forges offer enough benefits, big heating-container, higher ql forge heats faster and keeps things heated for a longer time, rarity only adds to that; forges probably have higher volume than a campfire(another +)...

-----------------

Either way.. it doesn't really matter if you get campfires to be further nerfed, nobody with ~80-90 skill will use them unless they really REALLY want to do a field-improvement of 1-2 qls on a hight ql weapon..  only someone desperate will go for that.. why bother making that person's life more miserable? Another case... a skilled player meets a noob.. and wants to gift it with a weapon imp.. why should that be ~impossible to do with a campfire.