Sign in to follow this  
FakeDetector

The Truth about WU servers

On 11/4/2016 at 6:10 AM, Huntar said:

tfw you can't actually do steam ID bans, just IP bans, and all you have to do is change your IP and log onto a new character to get around it :>

Making a steam ID ban mod would be trivial. There's one half-done on my github if anyone feels like finishing it :P

• Like 3

Wow, I clicked the sensationalist title, and it was just about fake numbers...

Ok, so since I am replying. 

1. Thanks to the mature developers responses. I have to agree, logic, common-sense, free-will, etc.

2. Thanks to forum mods for not closing this in a censorship fashion, this is nice to see too.

Lastly, 3. Fake players does not really bother me, nor do they influence the play. We have a server, that I didn't even bother to spam about in the forums, with 3,4, who knows, maybe 6 people playing. It's great, I love it. Rocksolid. Sometimes when 5 of us are online, it still says 0 in the server list. I just don't care. If people only join for player count, then it's not the kind of people I want around anyway. 

• Like 7

Going to add my 2 cents in this topic.

The server count don't matter to be honest. I see where people are looking but you need to look at the whole thing under the frame work. What I mean by this is as follows.

Every server is not unique cause most all popular servers are x times faster with same "mods" I repeat same "mods".

It is hard to compete when every one uses the same mods and same timers then want people to come play on their server, so it feels competitive, but in reality it isn't and this grabbing at the player count on people trying to compete as the reason their server don't get the traffic they want is just grabbing straws and not looking at it from the right perspective.

If you had a server that had changes that no other server has then you would see that server as a unique only place to get it example would be lets say there was a server where there were 45 new fence types 38 new wall types paintible roof tops and floor tiles 10 different wagon styles models new animal models actual new models not reskinned same animal models, and maybe tons of new furniture that was not in a mod to be given out to any server. then your server would be able to grab the public eye as being the only server where people could get that and they would flock to yours cause well it would be the only place.

I say this above because people are trying to treat WU as minecraft you know small game with mods that people compete to get players on there server. As for WO Rolf and team had to add and will need to over time add more stuff that WU will never get to make their WO server the place people want to play to get something they can't get else where. It's like making personal mods for your server and your server alone. As of right now people are moding and just giving them out so every server has the same mods just about so there is no uniqueness about any of them. there is x amount of servers right now when you try to run a server that are the same as the one you are trying to run.

Right now I'm working on a WU project by my self in my spare time that will be so modded it will be insane and it will not be given out cause well I don't modloader I hard code in the code. This means when I finish this project the server will be so unique the only place you can use any of this stuff will be on my server. This will make mine UNIQUE one of a kind and some server posting wrong number count want matter cause they will not be able to compete.

I'm just saying player count doesn't matter if your server lacks players on it. Your servers uniqueness is what matters, what you bring to the table.

I never ever even thought it was a competition, but you're right.

If it's uniqueness you're after, then that is awesome. The downside is a lot of players will likely not trust the upgradability/sustainability of something like that. It will become, in software terms, a monolith. Something to look out for, since the codebase already seems like a ball of mud.

Player definitely doesn't matter. In our case, we fled from busy and overterraformed land, with the plan of just being us... some people are joining (side effect), and it's great. I am not planning to bring anything to any table, but solid, long term typical wurming, with some balancing acts in between.

But since you did mentioned "some servers", then sure, there are some ridiculous configs, and stupid "acceleration" mods out there. Thats the magic of WU, everyone can do what they please. Are a lot of them ruining immersion, or retention over long term? for sure, but that's what they want.

For what it's worth. The servers we are running will always show about a fifth of the unique IP player count, so who knows how the hell they count players.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2016 at 3:12 AM, Iberis said:

I will add though, I love the idea of having server descriptions. I think that regardless of where a server is listed on the launcher - descriptions will be great! Every server offers something different and a lot of new players cannot tell these differences until they go around and join each one.

Now that would excite me a lot more than caring about player counts.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2016 at 0:51 PM, Marlon said:

since the codebase already seems like a ball of mud.

Today i expanded my vocabulary ^_^ What an amazingly descriptive term.

I don't likely mega large servers myself, and deliberately picked out one that had 1) A rather modest population of around 20-30  and more importantly,  2) Server admins who i knew to be experienced and dedicated, so that the server would not constantly "break," databases corrupt and wipe out my work, or simply be abandoned if they got bored a month later. Unfortunately for me, they do TOO freeking good of a job ^_^ so that it is now a rather bustling dynamic place and I have to hide out in an area with no roads and plant thick forests around,  

(I'd tell you it was Sklotopolis, but then I might have to come silence you if you went around and told just anyone...)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I would do this... only if my server was populated by 4 real players and adding another 1-2 fake players. If there was a special reason to.

To increase the chance of becoming more attractive to the eager eye. It would depend entirely one my servers content, the settings and if it is only PvP or Mixed. Once the server reach six (6) real players I would stop use the fake player method, from then on the survival of the server is more likely to be long-lasting, if the atmosphere created between the owner and the players is right.

I think that everyone else who goes beyond 2 fake players with a real playerbase of 6-8 are disrespectful, not serious and shouldn't have the right to publically announce a thread regarding their server here in the forums. Similiar to a company that doesn't pay it's taxes or lure clients and customers to spend time on something that is far from the truth.

Edited by Nirnan
Extended opinion

Holy. Cow.

I had no idea there were issues like this.  My friends and I have never once actually sought out a server with a high player count, and I didn't know until today that people actually want servers like that. My experiences on the more full servers was that most players' skills were so far above mine that it was impossible to catch up. All the good land was gone, and I was stuck in some leftover piece of land that nobody wanted, or forced to join someone else's settlement because nothing good was left. Everything I was capable of making wasn't wanted by anyone at all. Players had already formed cliques that excluded new players. And if there was any GM presence at all, it seemed focused on getting new players to buy everything to catch up to the long-time players.

This is not meant as a critique!  I've learned something terribly surprising to me, here today, that apparently most people actually prefer this, so much so that server hosts would consider artificially inflating their player numbers to make it clear that their worlds are already completely full of players.  I'm just saying...wow.  I believe you, but I'm totally surprised.  Not my experience at all, and I have to imagine there are ALSO a lot of people more like me out there.

We are looking for a fairly new-ish server with lots of choice land still open. We want GMs who are there almost every single day, to help but not to interfere or over-help (or give advantages to their friends), to offer advice on where to find a good deed spot, to put on fun events that a newbie can get as much out of as a long-time player. We want a chance to enjoy the world before it is over-run with civilization and harsh politics.  We want somewhere beautiful and majestic, and a little piece of this heaven to call our own, for as long as it lasts.  You know, like the promo videos for WU that we watched before we purchased the game. 

This is the main reason why most of the players I know do a lot of server-hopping, trying to find a place that still has room for them, that still is optimistic and wild.  When the GMs eventually start "selling advantages" too much, or the world gets overrun with people so it becomes hard to just go for a cart or boat ride, or for a lovely hunt in the woods, then people like me move along to a less-populated world to start again. So from my perspective, an inflated player count will just make me want to avoid that server, for all the reasons I've mentioned.  We want SOME other players, but not a whole world full of them.

Of course, I am very new to this concept, and no doubt I don't understand the issue very well just from reading this one thread. I apologize if I've done anything more than just express my alternate perspective. I'm not in any way meaning to say that yours is incorrect.  I just wanted you to know what inflated player count means to the people out here who want something totally different. 

• Like 3

Hello Batta,

Sounds to me like Mystic Highlands is exactly what you are seeking....

give us a try. Nothing to lose, I think you will be pleasantly surprised :)

Valiance and Kaylie.