Sign in to follow this  
Lianya

Grape Growing Trellis

I would love to be able to construct trellises over wild grape plants to turn them into "cultivated" plants which could be tended to increase output. I have large grape fields planted for wine making but they take up a lot of space as is for only 200 grapes. I would love to see a yield bonus in place to encourage making more than a bottle's worth of wine and hopefully a better market for wine.

• Like 1

actually they could do this with a high round pole fence, and add in that you need a grape sprout to plant on it, it would then be good for 1 season.  And as long as it was tended would grow 1 - 10 grapes.  Depending on the success of each tending, that would coincide with the proper "harvest" period for grapes.  And afterward the "planted" fence could take a little damage after it has gone to weeds, until it was cleaned.

What do you think?  

Grapes in RL can be quite the vine, and it enables more productivity in smaller spaces.

In addition, Id also love for higher skill levels to enable greater harvest returns. Perhaps even something akin to the over-hauled farming system for forestry and gardening.

The fence idea could work and the idea of it taking damage and needing to eventually be replaced sounds good but I think it would be better if it lasted two to three seasons instead of one.

Also, gardening skill being used to determine grape yields sounds good. It would be another use for the skill.

+1

How about… a new option to plant the already existing grape-tellises instead of fences just to have a field where you can freely move around.. and not be limited by fences

* maybe add an option in the recipes to be able to make the trellises with either grape-seedling or grape-sprout

* new option for planting.. - as in once planted to be impossible to pick/load the trellises from the field, unless bashed.. pruning, watering could be a thing to get more gardening and to affect the yields;

** improving the trellis frames could give more gardening skill, maybe at slightly lower rate as winemakers will need crazy amounts of them around;

ql/damage on the trellis could just reflect to grape trellis's life, 100 damage - poof.. just make a new one; if all are finished with a cedar shaft they'll last for a long time.. not to mention the option to repair/improve the trellis-frames at any time for gardening skill wont annoy the players with making new fields every few seasons;

there should be some limit for the number of trellises that could be planted per tile.. and be impossible to push them outside of the tile where they're planted?

7 hours ago, Finnn said:

+1

How about… a new option to plant the already existing grape-tellises instead of fences just to have a field where you can freely move around.. and not be limited by fences

* maybe add an option in the recipes to be able to make the trellises with either grape-seedling or grape-sprout

* new option for planting.. - as in once planted to be impossible to pick/load the trellises from the field, unless bashed.. pruning, watering could be a thing to get more gardening and to affect the yields;

** improving the trellis frames could give more gardening skill, maybe at slightly lower rate as winemakers will need crazy amounts of them around;

ql/damage on the trellis could just reflect to grape trellis's life, 100 damage - poof.. just make a new one; if all are finished with a cedar shaft they'll last for a long time.. not to mention the option to repair/improve the trellis-frames at any time for gardening skill wont annoy the players with making new fields every few seasons;

there should be some limit for the number of trellises that could be planted per tile.. and be impossible to push them outside of the tile where they're planted?

The point of a fence is to provide specific limitations and not have overcrowding of objects, a cost (the fence), maintenance, (the growing cycle damaging the fence) etc

The reason I believe it should be a fence is because you are growing something for a specific use and plan, and you can't just "Walk through it.  The trellis's are strictly decorative, the use of putting them on a fence helps to link it to a set and defined area.

3 hours ago, Tallios said:

The point of a fence is to provide specific limitations and not have overcrowding of objects, a cost (the fence), maintenance, (the growing cycle damaging the fence) etc

The reason I believe it should be a fence is because you are growing something for a specific use and plan, and you can't just "Walk through it.  The trellis's are strictly decorative, the use of putting them on a fence helps to link it to a set and defined area.

Could be made so, only 2 of those trellises could be planted per tile, allowing just one.. leaves us with the exsting ONE-PER-TILE grape, or not.. if this gets implemented and takes gardening skill to affect the yields

I thought of being able to plant the trellises on just 2 of the 4 borders per tile, simplifies things, and keeps it 'pretty' and aligned. Fences are annoying with the limitation for moving around, but that's just my opinion, sure could be fun to have a long field with grape-fences and having to walk/ride another 20-50 tiles to move to the next line of tiles, or loose 1 tile of space to put a fence-gate/leave empty etc..

Convenience is a thing that I've thought about it, there are so many things taking so much time already, but that's just my opinion.

7 hours ago, Finnn said:

Could be made so, only 2 of those trellises could be planted per tile, allowing just one.. leaves us with the exsting ONE-PER-TILE grape, or not.. if this gets implemented and takes gardening skill to affect the yields

I thought of being able to plant the trellises on just 2 of the 4 borders per tile, simplifies things, and keeps it 'pretty' and aligned. Fences are annoying with the limitation for moving around, but that's just my opinion, sure could be fun to have a long field with grape-fences and having to walk/ride another 20-50 tiles to move to the next line of tiles, or loose 1 tile of space to put a fence-gate/leave empty etc..

Convenience is a thing that I've thought about it, there are so many things taking so much time already, but that's just my opinion.

I wouldn't limit how many grape growing trellises that be placed per tile.  maybe someone wants a grape vineyard with box type arrangements.   Maybe another person will use 3 +1 gate to make animal pens with grapes growing around it.  I let the people be creative with it.

As far as the limits and "convenience"  of this new concept, being able to grow grapes with a multiple unit harvest, having a more controlled quality, and being able to tend them similarly to a crop would certainly be welcomed by the community.  It's about x10 better than having massive on deed or wild fields of grapes.  And still only getting 1 per harvest, and dealing with "theft" or mobs while harvesting.

Any way this goes will be an improvement, I just like to make sure it's not a +++ improvement, make it ++, - and then maybe adjust later.  Players hate ++++, then ++, -- later.