Sign in to follow this  
Dorian

Silly Real Life Anxiety from Wurm Online

So a funny thing, I've noticed that when I send myself or one (or more) of my priests on a long voyage away from my farm deed, I get a bit on anxiety, almost a feeling of Agoraphobia if they are away from home for a long time.

I find myself 'worrying' about it even when I am not online..."I should get them home soon...they have stuff to do...why are they gone so long...should they go home now?'.

I find it really bizarre on another level that I am one of the few Wurmians that actually enjoy sailing, yet when I sail to far, I find myself thinking about turning around because I may have been gone from home for too long.  :P

Now I realize this is a bit silly, and I am probably a bit on the loony side for these thoughts, but it made me wonder... what other silly real live anxiety like this do others have in Wurm? I'm not looking for a support group..."Hello...My Name is Dorian...I play Wurm Online"....I just thought it could be a fun type of forum thread.  :)

• Like 8

There's a land bridge on Pristine that always gives me a mild vertigo feeling! Also, before I got any good at fighting, every troll I saw would make me a bit anxious. Especially far from home!

• Like 1

While I am offline I worry that I will be dead if an unseen troll happened to attack while my character was stuck logging out. This has happened before so it's not entirely silly, but still a bit neurotic.

Edited by Cista
  • Like 2

In WO I was in village where everyone knew everyone very well, often even outside the game despite very long distances in some cases. In cases like this, "getting far away from deed" gets another meaning, especially before route plotting changes. :)

• Like 1

I get the same feeling... I don't like going to other servers or wandering too far from my place of residence, even with my alts.

• Like 1

It got better when I detached myself a bit more from the game itself, but in general I always struggled with not knowing, if I'm at the right place. 
Like with the big Highway project I have, going from one end to the other has an overhead from minimum 30 minutes (roughly) and when I think about working I'm always getting anxious about not knowing how long I can stay and where. Not to mention all those little shacks around that I never know if they are about to decay or not.
Since some of my buildings to work away from home are offdeed I'm also always worried that it decays when I'm not online, so that my horses would be killed :o

I get anxiety traveling as I often get lost and not knowing where i am can cause me to become physically ill.

This is so funny to read xD

My anxiety is when i'm on other servers doing delivery and the buyer keeps me waiting and i think of all the things i could have done back home in all that time if more than 3 hours pass by i already go crazy and thinking of returning home i get very nervous.

• Like 2

My anxieties tend in an opposite direction than what I've read so far.

What's over the next horizon?

Other roads not traveled, and the like with allegories.

Never enough time...

Edited by Klaa

Anxiety on a pvp server can be real sometimes. Never know what to expect. Id imagine even more so for some who have either lost lots or have lots to lose.

• Like 1

The only time I tend to get anxious over Wurm is when ingame friends steal stuff or turn rat for another kingdom. Sadly it seems to come with the territory on PvP servers, I've lost more "Friends" than i care to think about through petty stupid stuff which makes sense. 

• Like 2

I always get anxious when I have to travel long distances on xanadu with a led animal (carts/wagons are fine), mostly because I ALWAYS manage to snag my critter and have to backtrack for about 30 mins to find it.

I've woken up in the middle of the night from a dream where I was in dying in pvp, several times. I like to think that I've gotten better over the years, but every once in awhile...

• Like 3

I used to always have dreams of deed permission exploits, this was around the time players were breaking into homes on deed via a permission exploit (I believe that entire story fueled the permission system overhaul) and stealing stuff en masse.

I'd get real paranoid when I was gone from the game too long, or if I woke up from said dream, mostly always worried about players taking things (Since my deed had many rares, supremes, hota statues) through one exploit or another.

There were also several players I rightfully pissed off during some disband looting and that caused me a bit of paranoia when some relatively new, unheard of players messaged me about deed recruitment. My paranoia kicked in when I denied them, in absolute fear of those players being the guys I previously pissed off, but on new accounts, just to steal from me.

So yeah, I used to have metric ton of anxiety and paranoia involving deed permissions and new players.

Edited by Huntar

I have had the PVP nightmare as well.

That feeling everyone gets in their dream of not being able to move quickly and feeling stuck in place is exactly what Web Armor does to you. 

The anxiety is real. 

• Like 3

Standing on high ledges.  I don't like heights.  Strange because I have no problem with flying, or being in a tall building, but when i'm at the ledge, and there's nothing one foot out except air, I tend to have a panic attack and go 'F THAT noise' and put my back to a wall till I can calm down.  Even on ladders more than 10 feet high I have problems.   To get around this in game, I use fences to prevent me from falling off or down stuff  lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stormblade said:

Standing on high ledges.  I don't like heights.  Strange because I have no problem with flying, or being in a tall building, but when i'm at the ledge, and there's nothing one foot out except air, I tend to have a panic attack and go 'F THAT noise' and put my back to a wall till I can calm down.  Even on ladders more than 10 feet high I have problems.   To get around this in game, I use fences to prevent me from falling off or down stuff  lol.

jumping off/climbing up high mountains in wurm gives me literal vertigo, I've never really played game that has done that to me

• Like 2

I've had a few bad dreams where I'm always just a few seconds too late. Important things decay to 100 damage and are lost, the fields are nothing but weeds, all the animals died because I didn't notice they packed their enchanted grass, etc.

• Like 1

I also absolutely love sailing and I love travelling in Wurm. I have taken several long voyages (weeks) even before the "plot course" command and loved it. There was, however, no sweeter feeling than coming home to my deed. It's virtual, it's on the net and its pixelated, but I really feel like I own that make-believe land and I feel at home there. It's part of Wurm charm for me.

But despite my love of sailing and travelling, I have always had a small anxiety that when I am away from my deed, trolls will bash my fences and my horses will get out never to be seen again. It happened once, although I was able to locate all my horses that time. Or I worry that my saddled mount will eat all the grass and, unable to move, starve to death. This also happens when I am not online for - say - a week. I get this feeling "well, I better log in for just a moment to check up on my horses." Neighbors help here, of course, as they can tend to your deed in your absence, but for a long time I haven't had any neighbors.

It's not an overwhelming anxiety, but it's there. Perhaps I need a vacation. Hmm... I haven't seen Pristine yet...

• Like 1

A spot dies for me when someone else moves in within my hearing range and/or I can see their house among the trees from mine >_<

GIT OFF MAH PROPERTAH! 

I also feel anxiety when an alt or my main is away for too long.

And when Im on other servers I get paranoid about Rolf might suddenly decide to close the border between the servers. Quite irrational thoughts.

Border crossing in itself causes anxiety due to previous bad experiences,  getting dropped from the boat and so on.

I am sort of with ya on this Dorian in that I don't like to journey too far from my deed that I can't log off there when done playing. I can't translate it into RL anxiety though.

Another thing that creates a bit of in game paranoia is when a new player name appears in Local. Since where I live doesn't really have many players passing through even though close to a starter Village, I start to wonder what sort of mischief they will create even if it is unknowingly due to being new to the game. Have to replant my *precious* trees once in a while but usually my fears are unfounded.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I am with Ayes on this one. I settled in a spot where I expect a lot of boats to go by, because I like watching boats sail by my deed, but then when a name I don't know shows up, the spidey sense goes up. I think this is due to all those exploits that people have done in the past with throwaway characters and due to the fact that even though they are great, there is always a possibility that deed permissions are set improperly somewhere. This type of fear is terrible for the community but it's definitely present in Wurm. Many of us have learn not to trust the hard way. How can we rebuild this?

• Like 1

I get stressed out when I have sleep bonus on, because I tend to multitask (like read the forum) and I'm afraid I'll get distracted and forget about Wurm and waste it all. The new auto freeze is a life saver.