Sign in to follow this  
Darmalus

Replace Planting with Fasteners

A fastener is like planting, but better.

1. It is applied to an item already on the ground. This allows items to be arranged into their final positions and be applied to things that cannot be picked up or planted normally.

2. It locks all aspects of an items position. Once fastened it cannot be loaded, picked up, push, pulled or rotated. The Move option doesn’t even appear on the item, replaced with a “Fastened” non-option at the bottom of the menu.

3. Can be used to attach an item to its container. Both items need effective QL>10. This allows it to be used with Warlanders upcoming display slot system he’s mentioned.

4. Universal, no weird exceptions. Want to attach a sword to the floor for decoration? Go ahead! No worries about it wandering away.

5. Still allow items to be used, for public buildings.

6. Lanyards allow items to be picked up and used, but not moved. See below.

Item: Fastener
0.1 kg, Made with iron. Very easy blacksmithing.
Use on an item to fasten it in place. Item needs effective QL <10, both items if fastened inside another container. When something decays below that value the fastener is removed.
To remove a fastener, select pliers and use on the item. Menu>Fastener>Remove. Fastener is not returned. Permissions apply normally.

Item: Lanyard
0.3 kg, Made from 2 Fasteners and a Chain. Very easy blacksmithing.
Use on an item on the ground or in a container like a fastener. Item needs effective QL <10, both items if fastened inside another container. When something decays below that value the fastener is removed.

An item with a lanyard CAN be picked up. However, while picked the player cannot move so long as it is in their inventory. This allows tools to be put in public workshops securely while enabling various pick up/drop and load/unload commands for visitors.

While a lanyard item is a player’s inventory a special status icon should appear to let them know why they can’t move.

Permissions
Fastening and Unfastening replaces the planting permissions.

Identification
An item with a lanyard should stand out in some way. I play too much Dwarf Fortress, so I tend to favor brackets around the name, but a special color or prefix also works.

PvP
In a pvp area, let any enemy player simply RIP THE ITEM FROM ITS MORINGS with their mighty 31 strength or better. 31 Body Strength so that even with the 30 cap for lapsed premium players, it’s still a premium only thing.

Edited by Darmalus

3 minutes ago, Darmalus said:

PvP

In a pvp area, let any enemy player simply RIP THE ITEM FROM ITS MORINGS with their mighty 31 strength or better. 31 Body Strength so that even with the 30 cap for lapsed premium players, it’s still a premium only thing.

As far as I'm aware, PvP servers have that disabled.

6 minutes ago, Firestarter said:

As far as I'm aware, PvP servers have that disabled.

Ah, I wasn't sure.

Nails.

Though I personally would (in theory :ph34r:) steal everything not nailed down, and then come back for the nails.

A minor pain to make nails.

Then there's chain and padlock items already ingame, granted the chain is a dinky jewelry item.

Edited by Klaa