Sign in to follow this  
Fizziepop

.wom files

So I dug around a bit and found some .wom files that sound mighty intriguing to edit.

Can I edit them? And if so, how?

Thanks

edit: It just occured to me that I may not need to. Is there a different file extension for 3d animated creature models that wurm will recognise and use? The xml file in there seems to tell it which file to use for which purpose, can I tell it to use a different 3d file instead of the wom?

I don't know anything about creating 3d models yet, and hence don't know the file extensions to ask about, but for a working creature mod, I am willing to try!!!!

Edited by Fizziepop

the downside is that, it requires a basic understanding of java programming, this is the one thing that discouraged me from looking into wurm as a potential modding target

3 hours ago, bdew said:

AFAIK there is currently no tool for manipulating WOM files. The client can also use DAE (Collada) models - that are supported by many 3d modeling programs.

Awesome, I downloaded Blender yesterday and am figuring it out.

2 hours ago, ozmods said:

the downside is that, it requires a basic understanding of java programming, this is the one thing that discouraged me from looking into wurm as a potential modding target

I've always been good with understanding computer languages. Not genius, just able to figure out how it works and why it's doing what it's doing. I've done some html, and had a course in C... and looked over java too, they all look the same to me though.

Willing to give this a try too.

Thank you both!

DeedPlanner have .wom decoder built-in (link), you might reuse it if you want to convert the models back to different format (unless you cannot use models directly in decoded form, naturally). :)

This is very simple format, but loading times are MUCH better when using it instead of Collada.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warlander said:

DeedPlanner have .wom decoder built-in (link), you might reuse it if you want to convert the models back to different format (unless you cannot use models directly in decoded form, naturally). :)

This is very simple format, but loading times are MUCH better when using it instead of Collada.

Thanks!

Edited by Fizziepop

6 minutes ago, Fizziepop said:

Thanks!

Just keep in mind that all graphics are property of CodeClub. You can find more info here (it says about websites, but applies to desktop applications and everything else as well): 

14 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Just keep in mind that all graphics are property of CodeClub. You can find more info here (it says about websites, but applies to desktop applications and everything else as well):

Soooo we are not allowed to alter creature skins? Coz from what I saw it just said nothing bad. And it's not like I'm gonna write racist etc words on the belly of a creature... o,O

edit: Though the idea of writing words on the side of an animal is amusing. Make my cow say "Cow" on it, or my bear say "bear".

Edited by Fizziepop

You can alter textures, as long as this modification does not show the whole game in a negative light (racist sentences included as well). :)

21 minutes ago, Warlander said:

You can alter textures, as long as this modification does not show the whole game in a negative light (racist sentences included as well). :)

Nah, I might be a bit bitter about having spent the last 11+ years playing a game that just keeps beating me down, but now that I'm broken, dwelling on it isn't gonna help me at all. Besides, I don't need to paint wurm in a bad light, they managed to do that themselves for me. -_-

I'm simply moving on, which is why I'm here..... 11 years is a bit much to suddenly let go of completely. o,O

It's party time! And I deserve some new creatures to look at! :)

Edited by Fizziepop