Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #36 balances and Armours

header.png

And what a week it has been!

I know there have been a few changes that garnered some negative attention this past week, I'd like to thank those who voiced their concerns and feedback in a constructive manner, we will always do our best to work with players, and compromise where we can.

While the majority of you all were respectful and obeyed the forum rules, there were a few who weren't. This always leads to accusations of censorship which aren't true. Developer and staff bashing have always been against the forum and game rules, being upset with any changes occurring does not change that.

But anyways, on with the news...

Patch Notes

Spoiler

Boat Changes

• Offline players embarked on a boat no longer count towards adding speed to the boat.
    • Changed the calculations for boat speed bonuses. Each boat has a set speed bonus, PvP servers will get 9/12 of the total possible bonus from seats occupied, and 3/12 bonus from QL. PvE servers will get 3/12 of the total possible bonus from seats occupied, and 9/12 bonus from QL.

Armour Changes

• Rebalanced DR values of armour types. Cloth, Leather, Studded Leather and Chain base DR has been raised slightly.
    • Armours now have different DR modifiers against certain attack types.

Cloth:

Higher DR vs Crush & Cold
Lower DR vs Bite, Slash & Burn
Equal DR vs Pierce & Acid

Leather:

Higher DR vs Slash & Burn
Lower DR vs Bite, Pierce & Acid
Equal DR vs Crush & Cold

Studded:

Higher DR vs Bite, Crush & Acid
Lower DR vs Pierce & Cold
Equal DR vs Slash & Burn

Chain:

Higher DR vs Bite, Pierce & Burn
Lower DR vs Slash & Cold
Equal DR vs Crush & Acid

Plate:

Higher DR vs Bite, Slash & Acid
Lower DR vs Crush & Burn
Equal DR vs Pierce & Cold

Drake:

Higher DR vs Crush & Cold
Lower DR vs Slash & Acid
Equal DR vs Bite, Pierce & Burn

Scale:

Higher DR vs Pierce & Burn
Lower DR vs Crush & Cold
Equal DR vs Bite, Slash & Acid

Aggressive hitched creatures changes:

• Non-domestic creatures will become unhitched when they age and become unruly.
    • To accommodate for this, Hell horses and other non-domestic hitch-able animals can now be hitched up to the last Aged stage.
    • If the hitched vehicle is occupied when the creature ages, it will bypass the unhitching check until next age.

Rift Resource Collection!

• Collect resources from the mysterious rift remains.
    • Mine to collect stone shards from Rift stones.
    • Prospect the crystals to collect fragments.
    • Use your woodcutting knowledge to cut down the trees and collect wood.
  • Rift resources are currently for collection only, their uses will become apparent in time.
  • Collection of these resources is not guaranteed, you may produce resources with no special properties.
  • These resources can only be collected once the rift is closed.
  • To counter bypassing requiring the raw material, improvable items that can be placed in a bulk bin will no longer randomize the next action needed upon taking out. They will now require the raw material.
  • The 5 minute cooldown timer for toggling sleep bonus off has been removed.
  • Toggling sleep bonus will now have a 5 minute cooldown timer for toggling it on.
  • Heal spell now heals a percentage of health according to the spell's cast power.
  • Light of Fo spell now heals each of the 5 random wounds for a total of 1/5th of the spell's power. A minimum of 6-7 damage per wound will be healed.
  • Locate spell now succeeds or fails based on the spell's power compared to the power of the No Locate spell on the target, if there is one.
  • Spell resistances now last approx. 5 minutes, up from 30 seconds.
  • Critical attacks now do 1.5x damage, down from 2x.
  • Karma and Meditation teleports to villages can only be used after being a part of a village for at least 24 hours.
  • Equipping armour during combat will now come with a short timer of a few seconds. After two minutes of being out of combat the equipping will be instant again.
  • Removed priest characteristic gain nerfs.
  • Lowered difficulty of archery.
  • Tweaked special move damage values to be a bit more in line with their difficulty and stamina usage.
  • Reduced stun timers from special moves significantly. From 3-9sec to 2-4sec.
  • Added a stun resistance similar to spell resistances, with a shorter 2.5 minute timer.
  • Increased difficulty of blocking arrows with a shield when positioned in the right angle to the attacker.
  • Blocking arrows with shields now takes the shield QL and damage into account.
  • Swing timer modifier from Web Armour now a multiplier of base swing timer instead of flat seconds added.
  • Web Armour de-buff should now apply for a more reliable time instead of clearing semi-randomly.
  • Added a curve modifier to damage reduction gained from Body Strength in PvP combat.
  • Added additional information gathered when prospecting at skill 80 and even more at skill 90.
    • Prospecting 80 gives exact quality (overrides prospecting 20 message),
    • prospecting 90 gives exact remaining hits (overrides prospecting 60 message)

Bugfixes:

• Bugfix: Fixed an issue where cupboards could not be locked.
  • Bugfix: Tapestry stand now correctly states wood type.
  • Bugfix: Fixed reversed messages which some items gave when trying to put them into an Food Storage Bin.
  • Bugfix: Fixed issue with stamina regeneration when in a boat close to terrain with a steep slope.
  • Bugfix: Fix for lockpick timer resetting when someone walked through the door/gate during the 10 minute timer.
  • Bugfix: Removed knapsack from mission item list.
  • Bugfix: The steel staff now properly fits in the polearms rack instead of the weapons rack.
  • Bugfix: Added missing shear option for sheep on the select bar when available through the menu with scissors activated and sheep selected.
  • Bugfix: You can no longer cast spells on bulk items inside bulk containers.
  • Bugfix: Fixed the issue which gave aggressive fight skill when in defensive stance.
  • Bugfix: Possible fix for not being able to stop leading a hell horse if it attacks while being led.
  • Bugfix: You can no longer take a portal while while in combat or there is enemy presence.
  • Bugfix: Possible fix for Epic cluster population tally via the /who command.
  • Bugfix: Fixed the bug where the wrong amount of lye and hide was used when making leather if the lye container was full.
  • Bugfix: Fixed the issue where the volume varied on finished products if you used combined resources during creation.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue with candle making where more than 1kg of fat was used if combined.
  • Bugfix: Fixed the issue where combined lumps were not being used up properly when creating brass and bronze.
  • Bugfix: Using a trowel to build fences is now correctly reflected in the crafting window instead of just the right click menu.
  • Bugfix: Reworded the description of cedar and maple arrows to more accurately describe their properties.
  • Bugfix: Special moves now do the correct damage to the correct body locations.
  • Bugfix: Possible fix for village invite being blocked when inside an unrelated village.
  • Bugfix: Fix for catapulting friendly kingdom villages in PvP servers.
  • Bugfix: Fix range limit of continuing on buildings to 2 tiles.

PvP update
A large portion of the discussed changes went live yesterday, and after a few hiccups is operating smoothly, we hope to continue working with the PvP community to address key issues and improve play.

Some of the changes were to damage reduction, and as such, here are the new systems just to clarify:

PvP Damage reduction information
bodystrength.png

Body Strength Formula, linear line is old, curve is new. (1-(0.15*ln(x*0.8-15)))

modifiers.png

Armour type DR And modifiers by attacking type.

Armour also carries bonuses for material type:
+10% for glimmer, +5% for addy, +10% for seryll
rare is 103%, supreme is 106%, fantastic is 109%

Rift Resources

As also mentioned in this weeks patch, the rift resources can now be collected! While their current use is not yet in, they can be collected and stored, other methods of obtaining them may become apparent soon too...

The Shrimpalong!

This week has seen announcement of The Christmas Impalong! (or as zigozag phrased it, Shrimpalong).
Shrimpiie has been preparing his deed for a community staple, and you'll have to check it out, I know I'll be there!

That's it for this week, hopefully we'll have some solid plans for public testing of the cooking update in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

• Like 12

On behalf of players everywhere thank you for giving actual numbers

I've not tested but the nerf to crushing vs plate sounds too severe compared to the rest?

• Like 8

I'd like to nominate these tags as the best all year for a weekly news update.

• Like 5

Ok, so what sort of armour is best if you are just out travelling? Are there some statistics to what part of body what mob hits with what sort of attack?

Or is it best if I have a set of everything with me now so I can change?

I suppose I should aim for plate of special metals now if I want an allround armour?

4 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Ok, so what sort of armour is best if you are just out travelling? Are there some statistics to what part of body what mob hits with what sort of attack?

I suppose I should aim for plate of special metals now if I want an allround armour?

Studded should be fine if you just want some protection when traveling. I actually need to get a new studded set myself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cecci said:

if you didnt use plate earlier it would be weird to start now when the others has been buffed. 

"Equipping armour during combat will now come with a short timer of a few seconds. After two minutes of being out of combat the equipping will be instant again. "

this needs a icon.

As for resistances which I've mentioned multiple times.... I'd rather have a reduction in efficiency rather than full on resist.

That way spells are reliable/predictable, yet at lesser efficiency rather than outright rng win/lose.

Except that, nice.

Proper testing periods (bugs can slip past, but we had plenty of time ourself to detect them) and proper patchnotes with numbers included.

I'm sure there will be minor balance things that will be noted over time (personally I havn't really looked at armours and considered their DR, glance, etc yet).

But that sort of stuff is easy to make minor adjustments to in the future if need be.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

Aye, thanks for that, just finding weird that glim

mer got all the benefits over addy (both on armor and weapons).

17 minutes ago, Cecci said:

I suppose I should aim for plate

Well, plate is still the best, but with the changes studded and chain are good too, depends if you want to be on foot or horse.

• Like 1

Amazing how a 40 body str toon is now almost as damage reductant as a 70 body str toon. Thats how we got thanked for grinding this game for years and years to get the higher stats and benefits from them.

How about the damage formula? Shouldnt that be changed also that a 70 body str toon does the same damage as a 40 body str toon?

• Like 2

You mention material modifiers, but what about chain armour for example? They also come in gold, silver, steel,... Any boni/mali with these resources?

42 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

I've not tested but the nerf to crushing vs plate sounds too severe compared to the rest?

I also feel steel plate would do better against burn vs cold. Maybe just a quick swap there.

I have not tested anything yet but can someone anyone give me some more insight on the DR curve please... It looks like there was a nerf to highly skilled accounts I think my weakest fighting account just became my best toon. Unless I'm just not looking at it correctly.

Edited by MaurizioAM

10 minutes ago, Kwyzina said:

Amazing how a 40 body str toon is now almost as damage reductant as a 70 body str toon. Thats how we got thanked for grinding this game for years and years to get the higher stats and benefits from them.

How about the damage formula? Shouldnt that be changed also that a 70 body str toon does the same damage as a 40 body str toon?

40 bs is about 58% dmg taken. 1/.58 = 172% effective health

70 bs is about 45% dmg taken. 1/.45 = 222% effective health

You are a little bit under 30% tankier 

Your health gains per bs are now fairly linear.  In the past they were exponential where every extra point of bs gave more health than the last, allowing vets to snowball  health more quickly and it was unfair for newer players 

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Kwyzina said:

Uhm... ya got a problem with the game being more competative for newer players?

Why exactly?

Do you dislike competition in pvp?

Are you afraid?

Or are you perhaps a old grumpy fart on a pve server that didnt read? " PvP Damage reduction information "

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

Hey what would it have been compared to before the change?

Are boat QL bonuses similar to horse shoe QL bonuses?  

Meaning the ongoing assumption is there are stages at 90, 70, & 50 QL which give a significant 'boost'.

((Oh and if that ongoing horse shoe assumption has been disproved with WU, let me know. :)  ))

These changes sound pretty good, actually. Would like to point out the tags to everyone though, 81ce8bfd4c.png :9

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

Uhm... ya got a problem with the game being more competative for newer players?

Why exactly?

Do you dislike competition in pvp?

Are you afraid?

Or are you perhaps a old grumpy fart on a pve server that didnt read? " PvP Damage reduction information "

i dont think he realizes that in the past after 70 you started doubling or tripling your DR every 2 or 3 points of str as opposed to going up a slight amount. (plus, he didn't grind his account, he bought it.)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

I'd like to nominate these tags as the best all year for a weekly news update.

2 minutes ago, Wolfey said:

These changes sound pretty good, actually. Would like to point out the tags to everyone though, 81ce8bfd4c.png :9

I  :wub: these tags... that being said, Retrograde can you please swing by the farm, with the priest nerf gone I really need to train up my archery on Flunky and the pictures and chat logs of him shooting you over and over with cleverly named arrows could be amazing.  :lol:

32 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

Your health gains per bs are now fairly linear.  In the past they were exponential where every extra point of bs gave more health than the last, allowing vets to snowball  health more quickly and it was unfair for newer players 

Except that isn't the formula being used. You are calculating in base e, Wurm is calculated in base 10. 

base e: 40 str = 58% damage taken, 70 str = 44% damage taken.

base 10: 40 str = 82% damage taken, 70 str = 75% damage taken. 

Before the change: 40 str = 80% damage taken, 70 str = 50% damage taken.

You are definitely not tankier. 

Edited by RIPPVP
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MAADposter said:

i dont think he realizes that in the past after 70 you started doubling or tripling your DR every 2 or 3 points of str as opposed to going up a slight amount. (plus, he didn't grind his account, he bought it.)

You mean when you go from 118 to 119 str you double your damage resistance (2% damage taken to 1% damage taken), and that is the only time that happens. Here's the problem with that though: your strength doesn't go above 100, and it's pretty hard to raise it over 70.

Edited by RIPPVP
  • Like 1

I love these numbers. It means future suggestions won't be blindly groping in the dark.

I assume that the materials add directly to base armor DR? So Seryll Plate is 70+10=80, not 70*1.1=77 ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RIPPVP said:

Except that isn't the formula being used. You are calculating in base e, Wurm is calculated in base 10. 

base e: 40 str = 58% damage taken, 70 str = 44% damage taken.

base 10: 40 str = 82% damage taken, 70 str = 75% damage taken. 

Before the change: 40 str = 80% damage taken, 70 str = 50% damage taken.

You are definitely not tankier. 

have you tried it live? if youre going off WU code i don't think thats correct as you certainly are taking less damage than before pretty much across the board on live servers.

Also, not sure why PvP is dead. It's a step in the right direction, less teleporting, more competition. Just need to fix meditation and hellhorses and deedspam and we will be back in the good days.

Edited by MAADposter