Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Nerfing unintended features that we love

Ok, if we apply this nerfing logic to real life:

X-rays

Post-it notes

Microwave oven

Velcro

Eliminate them all, because they weren't intentional! Just very fortunate accidents that people love!

Yes please, nerf microwave, cause just hearing about people using it to warm tea or coffee makes me feel bad...

Ugh, nerfing microwaves only makes cooking more of a daily chore and means less time spent doing other things.

well if you apply wurm logic, then it would be using a microwave for 5 years and then deciding it was unintended

• Like 1

Velcro wasn't accidental in any way, even the name is carefully planned out: velcro = velour + crochet (French for velvet and hook). Mestral created them with careful planning and by trying out different variations of hook to clasp density to get the best possible result, then he applied for a patent. He already knew when applying for the patent that they could be used in fabrics as alternative closing and fastening mechanism.

Edited by Aeris

1 hour ago, Aeris said:

Velcro

1 hour ago, Drentle said:

Who knows this much about velcro? lol...

Ain't often I have to say I learned something on WurmOnline forums today :P

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cecci said:

it's on wiki :)

I'll pretend that that's where I got it and that I didn't in fact read the patent

• Like 3

Oh my and here I almost liked several of your posts lately, and boom, you are back to normal.

We don't call it by a brand name where I live, but by a plant, so I googled it.

15 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Oh my and here I almost liked several of your posts lately, and boom, you are back to normal.

We don't call it by a brand name where I live, but by a plant, so I googled it.

I really have no idea of what you're talking about now, I thought we were joking around about the Velcro wiki and odd interests so I'm really sorry if I somehow offended you(?)

Edit:
Just to clarify, I was making fun of myself for reading the patent instead of the wiki which would've been much faster. If that's where the confusion about my joke was, I honestly don't know.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Aeris said:

I'll pretend that that's where I got it and that I didn't in fact read the patent

Stop reading patents, a much better use of your time is to get back in the mines.  Do you realize I have silver altars that are only 20ql!   :o

((luv ya and miss seeing you online more!))  :wub:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dorian said:

Stop reading patents, a much better use of your time is to get back in the mines.  Do you realize I have silver altars that are only 20ql!   :o

((luv ya and miss seeing you online more!))  :wub:

Haha yeah I left those poor things at their creation QL and I'm honestly surprised we've managed to repair them at exactly the right moment so many times, I'll try to make an appearance sometime soon to give them (and you!!) some love :wub:

Edit: Unless they're nerfed O__o

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 1

the microwave oven

One day, while Spencer was working on building magnetrons for radar sets,  he was standing in front of an active radar set when he noticed the candy bar he had in his pocket melted.  Spencer wasn’t the first to notice something like this with radars, but he was the first to investigate it.  He and some other colleagues then began trying to heat other food objects to see if a similar heating effect could be observed.  The first one they heated intentionally was popcorn kernels, which became the world’s first microwaved popcorn.  Spencer then decided to try to heat an egg.  He got a kettle and cut a hole in the side, then put the whole egg in the kettle and positioned the magnetron to direct the microwaves into the hole.  The result was that the egg exploding in the face of one of his co-workers, who was looking in the kettle as the egg exploded.

imagine if it got nerfed :rolleyes:

Edited by Griffith

If he'd gotten nerfed he'd've exploded his coworkers instead

Microwave oven was a Radar Range back in the day. It was noted that RADAR emitters melted chocolate.