Sign in to follow this  
Baloo

Crops ripening at the same time

Hi,

It would be SO very nice if crops ripened at the same time.  Currently, it takes me 3 real life days to harvest 108 fields, all of which were planted at the same time, well at least within the same hour or so.   I find this incredibly annoying, as no doubt most farmers do.

Surely this would not be a difficult thing to fix?  It would make the life of farmers a whole lot better.  And it would be a small compensation for them not having the chance to receive anything at all when they have a "moment of inspiration" when farming, harvesting, sowing, etc....

Thank you, in advance, fellow players, for your support on this one - and to the Devs, IF they listen...

Cheers,

Baloo

• Like 4

It used to be like that, the reason they changed it was so that people who missed the harvest slot shouldn't lose their entire fields in one go.

I agree though, it would be much better if they ripened at the same time. A possible solution so that people won't lose all crops in one go if they can't log in would be to increase the time in which they are at the ripe stage - Which would be useful for many reasons. It wouldn't hurt anyone either since if you want the crops gone at some point you can just remove them.

• Like 4

Yes, Aeris, good idea that: to have them all take longer to ripen - say 1 RL week would be about right for those who can say only log in at weekends for example.

In truth I do not mind it the way it is. Get extra skill from the extra time.

13 minutes ago, Becket said:

In truth I do not mind it the way it is. Get extra skill from the extra time.

How does staggered ripening provide extra skill?  You still get the same number of farming actions.

the linking of growth stages could be easily accomplished with the addition of some sort of fence barrier around a "field" to help the server identify such things to advance as groups,

or

An irrigation duct that would be built on the border tile and connect the tiles on either side of the of the duct.  The ducts would average the growth rates of the connected fields.  Allowing them to be harvested at one.  The quality of the entire system of connected ducts could adjust if the total field follows the slowest growth or the fastest.  

6 hours ago, Tallios said:

the linking of growth stages could be easily accomplished with the addition of some sort of fence barrier around a "field" to help the server identify such things to advance as groups,

or

An irrigation duct that would be built on the border tile and connect the tiles on either side of the of the duct.  The ducts would average the growth rates of the connected fields.  Allowing them to be harvested at one.  The quality of the entire system of connected ducts could adjust if the total field follows the slowest growth or the fastest.  

Seems like a lot of extra coding to me.  Wouldn't a better solution be to link ripening randomness with farming skill?  Therefore, the higher your skill and the more "tending" you do, the less variance in the ripening.  It would also play a "realism" factor as the experienced farmer is more likely to have all his crops ripen together while the inexperienced farmer will have a variance.

• Like 1

I used to spend 2-3 days harvesting just like you, then sowed the whole field, then i decided to tend/harvest once a week and now it seems to have gotten somehow adjusted and during this weekly farming session i harvest 100% of the field, resow right away and maybe ~1-2% of tiles are rotten (which gets up to ~15-20% if i'm late by a day or two).

That being said, i see no issue here at all. Note that ripe has two stages, so if half of your field is ripe and the other half is amost ripe, you can safely wait until it's all even. Also maybe... maybe this is actually a thing already:

1 hour ago, Aariez said:

Wouldn't a better solution be to link ripening randomness with farming skill?

4 hours ago, Aariez said:

It would also play a "realism" factor as the experienced farmer is more likely to have all his crops ripen together while the inexperienced farmer will have a variance.

Good idea - if it will over-ride the stupid RNG somewhat !

• Like 1

+1 this is one of those features that adds no value and really annoys a lot of people.

WU is like this. I like a little variance. I do not like when I go to harvest and a couple crops are weeds, and a couple are "growing" (can't even get seeds). Leave the randomness, but lessen it some, and put in forced update minimum/maximum timers so crops don't grow too fast or too slow.

I've been wishing crops wouldn't go bad on deeded tiles, so that I don't have to worry about getting only weeds because I missed a day. This would sorta accomplish this, you could just not harvest until they are all ripe, then grab it in one go.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2016 at 9:38 PM, Tallios said:

or

How do you come up with these good ideas all the time? You should hire yourself out as a game development consultant.

12 hours ago, Darmalus said:

I've been wishing crops wouldn't go bad on deeded tiles, so that I don't have to worry about getting only weeds because I missed a day. This would sorta accomplish this, you could just not harvest until they are all ripe, then grab it in one go.

I think that usually takes more than 48 hours* for the crops to start spoiling after they turn to 'ripe', and nobody harvest them.

Crop advancement to next stage is "RNG" afaik, and that causes the difference in harvesting time, farming/tending the fields asap they advance to next stage lets them grow to next stage sooner etc.. ~same with animals grazing on the tiles to improve the yields. As it is farming is OP enough imo.. you always get top QL equal to farming skill every time, making armies of noobs tending the fields - OK to exploit to preserve 'fatigue' time on your main farmer/crafter/priest.. skill + rarity of the rake DO affect the yield.. 

Farming is OK in my opinion, any change like taking the weather or time of the year to affect the yield will just annoy the people who are so used to farming as it is.

Edited by Finnn

2 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

How do you come up with these good ideas all the time? You should hire yourself out as a game development consultant.

Ive spent my life working computers, gaming, programming, and troubleshooting in the military. 

Establish a solution, make it appear as real as possible, then simplify the back end for programming. 

Plus us I like games that give high levels of immersion. 

On 9/10/2016 at 1:01 PM, Finnn said:

I think that usually takes more than 48 hours* for the crops to start spoiling after they turn to 'ripe', and nobody harvest them.

This is definitely not always the case. I've checked fields 1 day and not ripe and spoiled by the end of next day.

The reason for this is how the server checks tiles in waves, aging field crops as goes, if you have a large farm you'll see these diagonal lines of aging

Ripening all at once may be possible, but it's a payoff in terms of server load, while smaller servers would operate fine, it would increase load on Xanadu, which obviously we don't want.

It may be possible down the line with a focus on optimisation, but it would require some time investment.

On 09/09/2016 at 1:30 AM, Aeris said:

It used to be like that, the reason they changed it was so that people who missed the harvest slot shouldn't lose their entire fields in one go.

So did it not used to be like that ?

Can we remove weeds , okay maybe just extend the period of time where it is ripe by a few days longer. 

Make the first stage of ripe last 4 days and the second 3. That's 7 days so that we can harvest it all at the same time if we want to.

Or go away for a long week end with out losing out on a crop.

• Like 5