Sign in to follow this  
Fizziepop

Creature mod questions (previously Creating a Custom Map etc)

Okay, so even though I bought Unlimited when it was released, I haven't really played it much, and have certainly never modded before.

Now I would like to create my own server, with its' own map. From what I can find, it seems WGenerator is how this is done, so I'm in there playing with settings, but I have some questions. First of many, I'm sure.

(Firstly, is WGenerator the best way to make a map these days? Or is there now a better way?)

Dirt --- For those with some experience in making maps, how much dirt is good for playability? I know Rolf / Notch had some trial and error with finding the right amount of dirt for a map... I don't want to get in there and then run into issues of too much or not enough.

I've looked around and not found any myself, but if anyone knows that this info is already out there, could you point me in the right direction please?

I'm also going to have questions about server hosting too -- How many of you host your servers elsewhere? Is the company good? Reliable? And can I still mod if they are hosting? Coz though I don't want to go all out mod-crazy, there are a couple of mods that I will want to add. Basically, I am looking for the 'normal' wurm experience, with some benefits,

Thanks

Edited by Fizziepop

58 minutes ago, Fizziepop said:

Dirt --- For those with some experience in making maps, how much dirt is good for playability?

~40ish is a good number. Allows for some flexible terraforming without bumping into the rock layer all the time, while if you want to get down to rock it's easy to dig through.

58 minutes ago, Fizziepop said:

How many of you host your servers elsewhere? Is the company good? Reliable? And can I still mod if they are hosting?

I rent a server from https://www.hetzner.de/en/Hetzner (the same company Rolf uses for WO). Haven't had any issues so far. The server is used for a bunch of my other projects, not just WU hosting.

• Like 1

Thank you!

Now if I can figure out these client/server modlauncher installations, and how to get the map working, Ill be able to play!

Not sure why I'm having a bad time understanding it, it seems pretty straight forward. I used to be good at this....

I'll keep watching the youtube tutorials until I figure it all out, I must have missed something somewheres.

Thanks again!

6 hours ago, Fizziepop said:

Thank you!

Now if I can figure out these client/server modlauncher installations, and how to get the map working, Ill be able to play!

Not sure why I'm having a bad time understanding it, it seems pretty straight forward. I used to be good at this....

I'll keep watching the youtube tutorials until I figure it all out, I must have missed something somewheres.

Thanks again!

Feel free to add me on Steam ---> lankyinvr, we can chat.. I'm in process of learning map making using RL Cartography and Elevation maps. 

yayyy I got most of it working. My creature mod doesn't show the right skins though... and couldn't get my map to work. More research required.

I will ask about creature mod in the creature mod post.

1 minute ago, Fizziepop said:

yayyy I got most of it working. My creature mod doesn't show the right skins though... and couldn't get my map to work. More research required.

I will ask about creature mod in the creature mod post.

Well add me as I know a lot about map creation.. just struggle with the RL elevation maps.. haha

I've never added anyone in steam before, not sure how, but will have to figure it out tomorrow. It's way past my bedtime tonight and I have to go out early tomorrow. :)

Thanks

It doesn't look like I can add people on steam. But if you like and are able, you're welcome to search Fizziepop and add me.

Omg omg! I was finally able to load a map I made! But it looks terrible. There is no flat ground.... back to the drawing board tomorrow! :)

My only question now is about the Creature mod. I have white horses running around claiming to be zebras.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix please?

I installed the client modlauncher and the server modlauncher, and put the creaturemod files into the server mods folder.

Is there anything else I need to do to make this work? Did i do it wrong?

Thanks

Edited by Fizziepop

On 08/09/2016 at 6:12 PM, bdew said:

I rent a server from https://www.hetzner.de/en/Hetzner (the same company Rolf uses for WO). Haven't had any issues so far. The server is used for a bunch of my other projects, not just WU hosting.

Which service from these people would I be looking at? Web Hosting? vServer? Dedicated Server? I've no idea what the differences are, or which would be best for this purpose.

I suppose I could contact them and ask them what they think I would need for a small server with just a few people... but I don't know them, and so would expect them to tell me I need the biggest plan they have.... haha. :wacko:

Thanks

Seeing you using the map gen 80 to 120 dirt is better than 40 IMO. You will need a good amount of ram and pc to do this amount tho do to the java ram hog sucking down more ram than it actually needs to do this simple process. If you want a good map 80 to 120 dirt drop. I never make maps with less than 80 dirt on the drop. You have to calculate for slide and angle. When building a map it will take the longest when dropping dirt. When your map is done based on the size of map you are making and the height you might have to rebuild the map for it to work. the WG has issues. But if the first line of maps don't work a rebuild  normally fixes the issue keep this in mind when working with the WG app.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fizziepop said:

Which service from these people would I be looking at? Web Hosting? vServer? Dedicated Server? I've no idea what the differences are, or which would be best for this purpose.

I suppose I could contact them and ask them what they think I would need for a small server with just a few people... but I don't know them, and so would expect them to tell me I need the biggest plan they have.... haha. :wacko:

Thanks

They probably know nothing about hosting wurm servers, it's a general purpose servers company, they don't specialize in games.

There are a few providers in the Hosting Providers that specialize on wurm servers and will be able to figure out what you need. They generally cost more than general purpose server hosting, but (hopefully) they know WTF they are doing, so you don't have to :P

In general the most important factor is the RAM on your server and how much you need is mostly affected your map size and creature counts, not number of players. For a 2k*2k map with 30k creatures you will need like 2-3GB of RAM. For a 4k*4k map with 100k creatures you'd need ~8GB. Anything above that is not recommended unless you really know what you're doing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arkonick said:

Seeing you using the map gen 80 to 120 dirt is better than 40 IMO. You will need a good amount of ram and pc to do this amount tho do to the java ram hog sucking down more ram than it actually needs to do this simple process. If you want a good map 80 to 120 dirt drop. I never make maps with less than 80 dirt on the drop. You have to calculate for slide and angle. When building a map it will take the longest when dropping dirt. When your map is done based on the size of map you are making and the height you might have to rebuild the map for it to work. the WG has issues. But if the first line of maps don't work a rebuild  normally fixes the issue keep this in mind when working with the WG app.

Thank you!

I've always been wary of running out of dirt, I went with 100 dirt. It looks like I have enough exposed mountains to account for it, not having to dig to find a mine. I'm hoping it will make a very shapeable and functional map.

I also tried making the maps with the WGenerator I had, but couldn't get it to stop hanging whenever I fired up the server, so I jumped over to 2.8 and it works much better.

It didn't seem to take too long to drop the 100, and I was dropping 150 for a while before I knew what I was doing, so my comp must be okay.

Map making is fun when it works! :D

Now all I have to get down is the tree placements..... which is harder than I first thought!

2 hours ago, bdew said:

In general the most important factor is the RAM on your server and how much you need is mostly affected your map size and creature counts, not number of players. For a 2k*2k map with 30k creatures you will need like 2-3GB of RAM. For a 4k*4k map with 100k creatures you'd need ~8GB. Anything above that is not recommended unless you really know what you're doing.

That is good to know! I would have gone with a 2GB RAM plan for my 2k map, but now I will be upsizing some.

If anyone could offer any help on getting my creature mod to work, I would be very grateful. Please?

I can't start playing on my wurm server until I get it fixed and have been at it for... (How long since hellhorse nerf?) about a week now...

I unpacked the mods into the WUDS mods folder, and when in game, mouseover says it's a zebra or a rockymountain, but it's just a white horse.

I've looked through my console when I launch the server, and it doesn't say anything about having downloaded the right packs, it gives WARNINGs instead.

It says "WARNING" -- creaturedemo downloaded server class creature types upon phase init.

(It also gives a warning about the creatureAgemod also downloading the server class template IDs during phase configure.)

I list the second one coz they sound related, and would of course like it to be working too, but am primarily concerned with the creature mod atm, the age mod is secondary to game function.

Edited by Fizziepop