Sign in to follow this  
morlan

Baiting hooks when fishing.

Hi,

I was out fishing and talking with the mayor of our village and we thought it would be nice to be able to bait fishing hooks. It would be nice to add a little more to the dynamic and it could be done without adding any objects or textures.

To bait a hook you would use a small fish, like a perch or roach, on a hook. The mechanic would work like this:

A baited hook;

• has a slightly higher chance of catching a fish.
  • can not catch a fish that is smaller than the bait
  • on an "fish escape" condition the bait could be lost

If you want to get fancy and add an object then perhaps;

• putting raw meat in a bucket/barrel of dirt can create maggots
  • maggots can be used to bait hooks as described above
  • the size restriction inverted so the size of the fish is limited but chance to catch is a little higher.
  • having maggots in a barrel state as above causes food and/or organic things to decay really fast.

Thanks for your time.

Morlanius of Bearfoot Vinyard (Xan)

Edited by morlan
  • Like 1

Not bad, I kinda like where your going with this.

Also could include bread, dough, fruits, filets, meats and even other fish as bait items.  Each one would increase your chance of catching a specific type of fish, but no guarantee 

Edited by Tallios

7 hours ago, Tallios said:

Not bad, I kinda like where your going with this.

Also could include bread, dough, fruits, filets, meats and even other fish as bait items.  Each one would increase your chance of catching a specific type of fish, but no guarantee 

|

|

|

|

¿<°==><

+1

• Like 1

Make worms valuable for farming and fishing.  You have chance to farm worms while harvesting crops.  These worms can be used as bait for fishing.  Worms would be kept in their own special worm container with like 1 or 2 week shelf life since worms are live.  Don't make decay too fast on them though.  This would get people fishing more since as you collect worms over the week of farming/harvesting you'd want to go out an use those worms before they decay.

Make worms work like rare fishing spots.  Still have the rare fish tiles, but make it where having a worm for bait gives you the rare fish roll no matter where you are fishing.  So 2 options for rare fish.  Finding rare fish tile or using a worm as bait.  So if you have 5 worms then you get 5 chances for rare fish no matter where you are fishing (not little pond areas).

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 1

I would be concerned that would just be a bypass for special spots, the way I envisioned it was so that the feature could be added with code only. Unless they wanted to add the maggots and use existing items for the rest of the mechanics and only adding one item into the game for minimal use of 'real estate'. The bonuses would have to be lower than that of a special fishing spot, or spots+bait should be additive so that spots don't loose any 'worth'.

Instead of making it where you HAVE to had a bait.  Make it so that having a bait gives a higher chance of catching a fish or something.  That way you'd be able to fish without bait too.  Plus if you are putting fish on as the bait,  you do have to get them from somewhere.

Yeah, that was my initial idea. :)

Edited by morlan

On 9/7/2016 at 2:32 AM, Niki said:

+1 Add worms when digging dirt maybe.

Then maybe call them Wurms. XD

+1. be nice to mix things up. 

• Like 1

Add worms to the game that we can get from farming or digging and be used for fishing that gives us a rare fishing spot where ever you use the worm.