Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Add Docks, Ponds and maybe Lakes

This has probably been suggested before. I think it's possible to make this work, basically terraform a hole in the ground to make a lake or pond. Pave the tiles with clay. Use a survey tool to get all the heights to calculate, using water tiles that are probably already there, the pond/lake will fill eventually. Maybe not instantly, important to have immersion.

Docks, simple and I think a lot of people want it, could use pre-existing bridge code to make it work. They would decay faster then bridges. Survey a dock and build it. Wood only.

stock-footage-shot-of-a-wooden-dock-exte

dock_pilings-BIG.jpg

Edited by Niki
  • Like 3

Do you mean lakes and ponds above sea level? I made a suggestion that would work like that a while back.

As for docks, I've seen some people approximate it with unfinished bridges.

Yeah sure it would be nice to be able to have lakes and ponds but think about how complicated that would be to implement.  You would probably have to gut so much code.

@Darmalus Yeah this would allow inland lakes/ponds above sea level using a strict system. You could easily remove it by dropping dirt in the water, eventually the water would go away. 

@Cunk Yeah maybe, but bridges use a lot of code, a lot of what I'm suggesting doesn't seem to far off with some of the code that already does similar checks.

1 hour ago, Niki said:

@Darmalus Yeah this would allow inland lakes/ponds above sea level using a strict system. You could easily remove it by dropping dirt in the water, eventually the water would go away. 

@Cunk Yeah maybe, but bridges use a lot of code, a lot of what I'm suggesting doesn't seem to far off with some of the code that already does similar checks.

Hey personally I like the notion of water as being a tile enhancement that will act a lot like the wound/healing system.

As for the dropping of dirt wouldn't affect water in a tile, but it would displace it, causing it to level out onto other tiles and evaporate.  As listed below.

A water spot has a "water flow strength" akin to healing the stronger the flow the more water that builds up in "dirts of depth"

-Healing

Springs: Water would be generated by springs in the ground "bubbling up" through the surface. An amount of X of liters per tick generates the total standing water /100 to generate 1 dirt or water on a single tile.

Pour:  This would add whatever amount of water to the given tile, thus increasing the amount of water on tile.  Could be useful for creating a private pond.

-Wounds:

Sun: depending on the sunlight and or fog would cause evaporation on the tile

Wind: another factor in reducing water.

Tile type:

• Rock, clay, marsh, would have no absorption, for reasons of density or saturation.
  • Slabs, would be similar or slightly more absorption than stone
  • Bricks, slightly more than slabs
  • Dirt would have modest absorption  (dirt or grass that is submerged for long enough time can become marsh)
  • Sand would have good absorption
  • Gravel would have excellent absorption

Slopes:

A slope would cause a loss of water levels toward the direction of the slope, thus creating a cascade effect.  Each time this water travels over the these new tiles the absorbtion rates are used to lower the total amount of standing water.  Thus causing springs to form rivers.  The flow could be calculated based on slope compared to water level above slope, the excess traveling over the slope and down to it's natural termination.  I would recommend for the sake of the server that this be calculated slowly maybe once every 10 mins?

Gathering: Gathering the water in one of these ponds or rivers would act just like a wound to that water supply thus lowering it.

As a side note, the use of low stone walls, and this water system would allow for people to plant terraced rice farms.

Edited by Tallios
  • Like 3

there's a history to this suggestion, someone told me it once, back when WO began, way before i found it.
it involved springs and water you could manipulate.
it never happened and wasn't an entirely positive experience for those involved. i cannot remember any more details.

I'm sure there's a really really good reason why water cannot exist above the water table.
impossibility aside, it gets a +1 from me.

Edited by Steveleeb

There were a lot of suggestions, that required only a 5 minute change in the code (for example - all related to mayor rights on the deed) and still were not implemented (we have it on the list, blah blah blah).

How we can expect that complicated code work will be done then?

58 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

There were a lot of suggestions, that required only a 5 minute change in the code (for example - all related to mayor rights on the deed) and still were not implemented (we have it on the list, blah blah blah).

How we can expect that complicated code work will be done then?

I completely sympathize, there are probably about 250 or so simple changes that would make radical changes in how wurm functions.  And as you say they only require modest simple edits of existing codes.

Edited by Tallios

Haven't tried disembarking unto an unfinished bridge yet; though, docks would be nice. Certainly be less work than dropping dirt in really deep waters.

38 minutes ago, bdew said:

I'm just going to leave this here:

m6xSUjW.jpg

Do share ... how did you pull this off?

Edit:  Nevermind ... WU mod :(

Edited by Aariez
Found out the answer

18 minutes ago, Aariez said:

Do share ... how did you pull this off?

Edit:  Nevermind ... WU mod :(

Isn't it just flat land, paved with stone brick w/e pavement on top and the sides, than dug(dredged) down 'walls'/sides to form that 90 angle?

Edited by Finnn

9 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Isn't it just flat land, paved with stone brick w/e pavement on top and the sides, than dug(dredged) down 'walls'/sides to form that 90 angle?

Nope, that's the centre pieces from a 3 tile wide bridge, made possible by a WU mod.

• Like 1

Figured it was possible with bridges. Pretty neat bdew, if your server is public I should check it out one day. ;)

On 9/17/2016 at 10:58 AM, Niki said:

Figured it was possible with bridges. Pretty neat bdew, if your server is public I should check it out one day. ;)

My server is public, but not very active at the moment.

Also that mod is not on it for now as it's highly experimental and unfinished, it is available for download in the mods section however :)

bump

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

+1 It would be really cool to have lakes and rivers. Only way I could see this happen though is with a fresh new server.

+1 to creating ponds.  even if they are artificial and limited to a couple of standard shapes and sizes.

Docks, maybe.

Ponds and lakes, we already have mechanics in place for that both natural and man made.

On 9/7/2016 at 5:28 AM, Tallios said:

I completely sympathize, there are probably about 250 or so simple changes that would make radical changes in how wurm functions.  And as you say they only require modest simple edits of existing codes.

Would be interesting if we had a player made development roadmap that listed all of these with some idea of prioritized order (likely two priorities - pve and pvp). Then if someone modded them all into existence on WU, wouldn't that be something?

16 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Docks, maybe.

Ponds and lakes, we already have mechanics in place for that both natural and man made.

No we dont, not above the global water level.

7 hours ago, Rathgar said:

No we dont, not above the global water level.

Then I guess build somewhere with a lower altitude?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Then I guess build somewhere with a lower altitude?

No thanks.

• Like 1