Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

WSA: Hitched Aggressive Creature update

I hear the rage over HH nerf has caused the servers to crash, ohnoes!

49 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Just as a follow up to some raised concerns..

Hell Horses will not unhitch if they age while being commanded. Having one suddenly turn old on you while out driving will not cause you to lose it.

but don't dare to dismount anywhere. If you do you will have 2 unruly Hell horses and a cart/wagon to get home somehow. and those buggers are grumpy and nasty to lead :).

Edited by KillerSpike
Fix spelling
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KillerSpike said:

but don't dare to dismount anywhere. If you do you will have 2 unruly Hell horses and a cart/wagon to get home somehow. and those buggers are grumpy and nasty to 

laid.

and if you disconnect for any reason..... ruh roh.

Or heaven forbid -- have to RELOG due to travel lag..... hahahaha

Then you come back and get bugged out as you try to embark with your screen locked up..... LOL

Game might yet be a bit buggy to even implement this *fix*.

Edited by Fizziepop
  • Like 1

The loss of stamina while driving a cart can often lead to frustration and confusion in newer players, They say why does this happen?

I do not expect any change to this illogical behavior .

• Like 2

It runs a check when it ages (there's many many sub ages, Old is actually aging 30 times) If a hell horse is hitched to a wagon or cart that is being commanded (or has a passenger) when it ages, and runs the check, it will skip unhitching.

This does not mean next time you jump of it will unhitch, but the next sub stage it ages it will run the check again

• Like 2

ZbMZ2ML.jpg

my soon to be useless pair of hellies. ill be missing you. Another nerf fml. not surprised at all tho. crossing my fingers for an upcomming mod to wu. 

In video gaming, a nerf is a change to a game that makes something less effective or desirable. The word can be used as a verb to describe that change.[1][2] The opposite of nerf is buff or revamphttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerfing_(video_gaming).

I fail to see how having your animals randomly unhitch, probably when you need them the most, is any less confusing than needing them to be under a certain age to hitch them. What this change will bring is MORE confusion and the obvious anger of the players.

So, my question is a simple one...why? What is it about hell horses pulling carts that is so egregious that it requires a nerf that is going to be so unpopular? Maybe if we could understand the reasoning behind this it would be easier to swallow. 

If it's really just a question of their speed being to great then perhaps remove the ability to put shoes on them or something instead? Surely there is another way rather than to completely invalidate all the time and effort players have put into having them. 

On a personal note...I just recently returned to WO after an extended break from the game. Found a pair of wild hh's, had a couple of crap trait foals, hitched them to a cart anyway, and was really looking forward to breeding my own 5 speeds. Will I do that now? No. Is having one less reason for me, and ppl like me, to stick around a good thing? No. 

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

It runs a check when it ages (there's many many sub ages, Old is actually aging 30 times) If a hell horse is hitched to a wagon or cart that is being commanded (or has a passenger) when it ages, and runs the check, it will skip unhitching.

This does not mean next time you jump of it will unhitch, but the next sub stage it ages it will run the check again

Does not help at all.  I can still be stranded far away from home. what if I leave my deed on old iteration 29.

19 hours ago, Elizarya said:

I REALLY want to see a cart pulled by chickens Aum :)

Coming soon to Aum's WU server! Also soon will be training chickens to tank dragons while other players train up fighting skills on them.

=Ayes=

1 hour ago, KillerSpike said:

but don't dare to dismount anywhere. If you do you will have 2 unruly Hell horses and a cart/wagon to get home somehow. and those buggers are grumpy and nasty to lead :).

Also don't go into gates or bridges, because the bug that randomly dismounts you is still there after... how many years?

• Like 1

"So 'draug, any plans of coming back to WO?"

As usual, discouraged again.  And the wogic gets thicker and thicker.

(Had already quit)  Sailing was my Wurm "business", server edge teleports are added.  Taming and 5-speed hell horses were my "thing", "jumping" over fences made me quit as i'd have needed a new deed for HH's and was done paying for "surprises", I see my "thing" is being further nerfed.... by complicating travel.   Damned if at sea, damned if on land.

But enough dev bashing and on to "helpful advice":  You see the WU modding section?  Here's a pro tip:  Mods are made to remove unnecessary annoyances, not ADD them.  People have jobs/studies that provide plenty of annoyance and tedium during the day.  We game to disconnect from that, not frustrate ourselves further.  You don't see a "hunger mod" that makes you go 90% hungry every ingame 8 hours, do you?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pandalet said:

Folks, while I get that many of you are upset by this change, please try to keep this constructive.  For example, suggesting alternative changes or explaining why the change is a problem for you (without resorting to name-calling or dev bashing) is more likely to achieve a useful outcome than sarcasm, general snarkiness and calling staff names. 

To give suggestions on an alterative change we need to know what the goal is.  

I don't know the purpose of this change other than "that's not what was intended" and that is just not a good enough reason to affect this many players.

As to why this is a problem for me, I just purchased my first set of hellies last week.

It has made such a difference in time to get to rift sites, gave up on sailing due to the ridiculous speeds and now your killing this as well.

Fine, if you are going to make them unhitch automatically after age, but how about make them not unruly until old so they do not attack every 20 seconds when they are hitched?  If they are hitched can they be semi tame, as in no attacks?  I mean if i had a flaming horse and it bit me i would stick a muzzle on it.:)

did not know it was a bug, seemed as long as you hitched it it simply could not get free. .it is a frigging horse, yes it is on fire, but a one-legged templar can take 4 at a time so its not strong enough to break its tackle, so i suppose when it turns old it somehow develops hands and unties itself?    I thought the bear dropping when untame was the bug.  Bear and troll...insulting to even mention them as nearly impossible to hitch them usefully since they have to be tame/dom, which is 4 high taming chars, or 4 priests, and they randomly untame usually 5 seconds after you forget and since no saddle they wander off usually sneak up behind you....

Where is this bug list so i can read up on what else i may be using that may be gone when i return

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Hell Horses will not unhitch if they age while being commanded. Having one suddenly turn old on you while out driving will not cause you to lose it.

Was this a sudden addition?

While I do think something needed to be done about hell horse carts, I don't think this was it. The timing is pretty bad too.

Instead reworking the whole hitching + animal system would be better to give us more alternatives to horses and at the same time solve the overbreeding issues that Wurm repeatedly runs in to.

Over the past 5+ years its been a repeated cycle of too many horses then adding something to kill them off. Then people breed more to counter the nerf, so something else is added to kill them off.

Why not give other animals useful advantages (and a trade-off for each) instead? Give people a reason to breed other animal types besides leather, meat and skillgain.

A few examples:

• Bisons being really good at pulling stuff at good speeds, but not mountable (similar to now, but more speed!)
  • Bulls being good at tanking damage when mounted, but really slow movement
  • Horses being fast when ridden but unable to take much damage
  • Hell horses doing what they already do now (fast but love burn you if not tamed) but perhaps also make them suck at pulling carts/wagons
  • Crocs - slow but can carry rider across water, take considerable damage, etc
  • Bears - Good all-rounder but not great at anything
  • Sheep - Can pull small carts a bit faster than a player, suck at everything else

Those are just examples of what could be done. I'm sure there are hundreds variants and setups but for the love of <insert wurm god> make them all more useful, mountable, hitchable and most of all let us fit equipment on them all.  Something like that would obviously effect PVP pretty considerably, but wouldn't more options in terms of mounts be a good thing? Especially if they had decent pros and cons. I can't speak for PvP players but again, this was just a suggestion.

But in terms of the topic, the nerf basically made hell horses useless (or close to), which puts pressure back on to horse breeding. So the cycle starts over.

Edited by syncaidius

2 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:
  3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

do they have GPS so they know when they are parked in the usual place? and they be like.. ''Ok..he is done with me for now.. i think i'm gonna unhitch now''

or will they be like if you see it turned old.. never stop till you get home so you wont be left in the middle of nowhere?

InB4 leaving an alt online 24/7 as a passenger gets them removed like in boats.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

1. You claim the current usage for hell horses causes confusion.

Please explain to me how further complicating the usage of hell horses (unhitching virtually at random) is going to reduce that confusion.  If you think noobs are confused now, wait till they log in half way across an island and find their cart full of goods sitting on the ground with nothing hitched to it. I'd be calling a GM post-haste.

2. You claim the frustration regarding hell horses is caused by the fact that they can only be hitched at a certain age.  

Explain to me how this 'fix' is going to reduce that frustration when the 'fix' only changes the age when they can be hitched.  There's still a limitation. If they can't be hitched at ANY age, how is that going to reduce frustration?  

3. You claim that the speed of hell horses causes some errors in the server code.  

Please explain to me how random unhitching of HH's is going to fix errors in speed?  That makes no sense.  Why not just fix the server code rather than pissing off the entire player base?

4. You claim the current usage of HH's is unintended.

Why not fix that unintended usage WHEN the issue was discovered?  Why wait YEARS to slap your players in the face with this?  Is this to imply that all the game breaking bugs ARE intended?  Or is there a list somewhere of things that are 'unintended' so that players don't waste REAL MONEY investing in items that you're going to eventually 'fix'.

I'm sorry, I don't get it.  I'm certain there is a REAL reason for this nerf (like adding in yet another time sink) but so far, the only explanation the player base has been given is BS, if not a pack of downright lies. Nothing in the 'fix' addresses the 'reasons' it's being implemented.

Edited by Fengist
  • Like 7

So, everyone's already had a good hard crack at the "confusion" part, but almost completely ignored the "errors regarding speed calculations on the server side" bit. Sure wording and presentation could be better here, but perhaps this is something that needed to happen for blah blah blah reason...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cccdfern said:

ignored the "errors regarding speed calculations on the server side" bit.

Between the lines I read : . We can't manage to fix this speed calculation error so let's make our shame the

player pain.

The sad part is I do not believe the reason that is given to us for the proposed change. I choose to believe that

they will not do such a change for a crappy reason like the one they give us. I guess only people that signed the

NDA knows the real reason.

• Like 1

This thread is like 99% negative feedback with a handful of obvious shill accounts with 2-3 posts saying "durr this is good guize".

How is this "fix" even still being considered at this point? How arrogant can you be to ignore your player base this much and think "nah, we know what's good for them".

• Like 5

So just thought of something, people will need special parking pens for hell horse carts/wagons or risk angry beasts running away if not saddled slaying everyone in the village, hehe, plus hh's with just shoes on and they take off like a rocket once freed say good bye to that set.

• Like 1

one question concerning grazing animal AI... when will this be fixed? I have a 5x5 pen, one tile is packed, the animal stands on that packed tile and starves to death because it is too blind to see the other 24 fresh green tiles around it... really?

• Like 4

Bugs That Would Help QoL

#1 Client / Server Sync loss - To eliminate all those problems where the client has to relog. You know the one I am talking about, like when the last item in the bin gets stuck there. Or when your friend and/or cart/wagon enters a different dimension? Or random item just disappears unless you relog?

#2 Bridges - corpses are not actually where they show to be. Being kicked off the wagon or cart randomly. mobs getting stuck randomly. + more

#3 sub-ter building - take your pick, I am sure you have a list of items you could address.

Those just the 3 I ran into in the last week of play.

Spending time working on a fix that from your statement does not actually fix any qol bug.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

So just thought of something, people will need special parking pens for hell horse carts/wagons or risk angry beasts running away if not saddled slaying everyone in the village, hehe, plus hh's with just shoes on and they take off like a rocket once freed say good bye to that set.

Yeah, I just gathered up a pair set of shoes. I don't want them unhitching at some unpredictable point and running off.

Edited by Audrel

Sign in to follow this