Sign in to follow this  
lanky897

[Map Maker] How to create custom Heightmaps?

Hello!,

I have signed up mainly to come and ask how I, would go about turning a real location on planet earth, into a Heightmap?. Then it can be imported into my Map Maker and a server map created with real geography!.

If I'm missing anything at all, please do let me know. I'm a hard worker and am prepared to put in the effort to create this myself.

This is the map I'd like to use ---> Lake_District_National_Park_UK_relief_lo 

i went to http://terrain.party and found the spot

biggest you can get is 60 km squared

which gave me a 1018x1018 16bit grey scale image that is good enough for this demonstration purpose

I would recommend finding a higher resolution if possible and starting all your editing from there as it will turn out much better

i resized it to 4096x4096 in Photoshop

which produced this

hUOtJNX.jpg

and when you load it in map gen 2.8 and drop a bit of dirt youll get this

xlCvL13.jpg

tho in wurm we are gonna need an island so ill will do it quick and dirty in Photoshop with the mixer brush for now just to get the idea

4PgYU5Z.jpg

and so we get this in the map gen

KJ00cFr.jpg

if you have world machine or some other terrain generator that can enhance the terrain height map with erosion filters this would be a good time to mess around and get a flowmap

when you are happy with your height map then we'll need to paint the bioms

this can be done entirely in wurm map gen 2.8 using its features, but once you save the images you can do aditional edits in photoshop and reimport it before re generation the map for a final time in mapgen 2.8

• Like 2

Spoiler

This is amazing and very thorough!, thanks for taking the time out of your day to do it. The result is amazing.. now I only need to find a higher resolution map right?