Sign in to follow this  
polarbear

Ways to promote the game?

I don't think you can attract new people without upsetting a lot of veterans. 

The problem with Wurm Online to me has always been the lack of an endgame. And by endgame, I don't mean the skill-numbers game. That interests very few people, and increasing/improving one's skills is (should be) just a side effect of playing the game, not the main focus. By lack of an endgame, I mean that once you are done finishing your house/homestead/village, there really isn't a lot more to do other than maintain everything to make sure it doesn't fall apart. You can go exploring, but at some point you just run out of fun things to do. Having been part of countless Facepunch "invasions", it was always the same. People are super excited at the start and spend up to twelve hours a day building/expanding the town. When everyone has finished their project, boredom sets in and people start raiding/pillaging the surrounding areas. After a few days more, there's nothing left to pillage/raid, and people stop logging in altogether. From start to finish, I don't think one of these 'invasions' has ever lasted longer than two weeks, and there have been many. On PVP servers, invasions overall lasted longer, because of the added threat of war/being raided, meaning there's a chance for exciting things to happen. But even then, people just get bored and they stop logging in eventually. In my experience, Wurm Online PVP is more of a cold war where everyone is constantly on edge, rather than a real conflict.

So how do you fix that? How do you keep the game interesting for non-pixelhuggers, or people obsessed with spending hours to watch a number increase by one? If the answer were that easy, I think Rolf would've figured it out already.

• Like 1

They need first and foremost separate coding for pve and pvp servers. Without this the game its not going anywhere and will be stagnant as a very niche game for ever. The excuse thar one of the devs gave its unacceptable , he said that this would be a nightmare to put in practice. 

Well , guess what ? Thats the nightmare every single company in the world faces , either making hamburgers , socks , and rockets. They have a team of people facing difficulties with only one purpose: Satisfy the damn customer or go bankrupt. 

Pretty simple, people that play hardcore survival sandboxes already know about Wurm. The rest, the pokemon go generation its not interested at all in such an unforgivable nerfed game to satisfy the very niche population of a very niche game

• Like 1

New players leave as soon as they hear that they can't do 70% of availble things in Wurm without buying premium every month. I know something about that.

56 minutes ago, TheTrampekShow said:

New players leave as soon as they hear that they can't do 70% of availble things in Wurm without buying premium every month. I know something about that.

Don't believe that is the issue as the game is pretty fair to free players

Believe the issue is this game combat system which is lacking at the moment

Solid Combat system would bring in PVP and PVE'er outside of the game Crafting Core playerbase

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, enoofu said:

Don't believe that is the issue as the game is pretty fair to free players

Actually it is a huge issue and the reason why the majority of players are not retained.  Of the people I introduced to wurm only one has gone for premium, the others were all put off by the paywall and sank their money into vanity items on freemium mmos and buy to play titles.

The subscription paywall method was only really successful with early mmos (pre-warcraft), even when its used now its quite normal for most mmorpgs to drop to freemium within a 12 month timeframe of being released as subscription.  Wurm's long grind time and high social/creative components lend themselves better to a vanity/convenience shop model than a premium system.

Just my silver coin as someone who has watched the development of the mmo genre very carefully and noted its great failures and successes.

• Like 2