Sign in to follow this  

2 minutes ago, KyleBooze said:

I was told the reason for this was because refresh would remove any food buffs when used.

That IS a fair tradeoff.... 99% nutrition for longer lasting full belly, or less nutrition with some cool side effect.

Sometimes you just have to terraform THAT MUCH.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2016 at 0:23 PM, Niki said:

I love how you guys literally read one thread about changing POL and decide to do away with it, I'm glad you came to your senses. I think it would be wise to ask the community,  just like you did with pvp if "we" want a major change or not.

Anyways cooking looks fun, can't wait to see it.

I agree, Niki. I can't wait to discover recipes. I didn't have a single complaint about the new cooking system but I am glad I will still have a usable fall back. The only reason I did any meditation at all was enchanted grass and no-rot travel rations. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2016 at 6:53 AM, Mordraug said:

You may have been misinformed, I always saw it mentioned for the enchanted grass, Refresh being a handy added bonus.  Enchanted grass USED to be near-indestructible.  Now it packs easier AND randomly reverts to normal grass.

As for newbies and people who picked another path, now there are all those cooking options TOO AAAAAAND they can still carry that rare iron lump around in case a long trip catches them starving.  You're welcome *Path of Love Hug Technique*

Yep, Ard. It was suggested because I complained about my bison always trampling my pens. "Oh, and you get a refresh every day also!" It was not suggested when I started because of refresh. PoK was requested more often actually. No skill loss.

2 hours ago, KyleBooze said:

I was told the reason for this was because refresh would remove any food buffs when used.

2 hours ago, Mordraug said:

That IS a fair tradeoff.... 99% nutrition for longer lasting full belly, or less nutrition with some cool side effect.

Sometimes you just have to terraform THAT MUCH.

There ya go, @Budda

This is an excellent trade off. If you use refresh, you lose all bonuses from the food. You can enforce it by requiring the need to use X% (40%? 50%?) of the food bar to get your food buffs. If you use refresh, it would take a good bit to get to half food level, effectively locking you out from getting a bonus for at least that long as well. Instead of a nerf, it become a choice. Do I want buffs or do I want a slow food bar decay rate for the next hour or so?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Audrel said:

You can enforce it by requiring the need to use X% (40%? 50%?) of the food bar to get your food buffs.

But how does that work out? I try not to ever drop down that low. So I'd have to cook, and then wait half an hour to eat what I cooked? I'm confuuuuused.

1 minute ago, LorraineJ said:

But how does that work out? I try not to ever drop down that low. So I'd have to cook, and then wait half an hour to eat what I cooked? I'm confuuuuused.

If you had already cooked and eaten cooked food, it would refresh your buff you already had. But if you used refresh to get to 99%, you would lose the buff and not be able to get a buff until you ate the amount of food needed to buff up. Now, this might be an issue if you wanted to change your buff but maybe they could work it out that a buff would replace an existing buff or maybe that refresh would lockout gaining a buff for 60 minutes or something.

It's to make refresh still viable but not make refresh the go to over food. The same with saccing. You could as easily add a "no food bonus" debuff for how ever long - 30, 60, 90 minutes - and achieve the same thing without affecting cooked food buff changes at all.

I'm just tossing ideas at Budda because he didn't much agree with our not wanting refresh changed. It's just an idea for a trade off. If you want to use refresh, you can. But if you do, you have a choice to make about it. You either use refresh and have no way to get a buff for however long or you eat food for maybe less than 99% nutrition and get a benefit out of it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Do you mind telling us a bit about yourself and your background in wurm?

I've been playing Wurm since 2009 on and off. Started on Golden Valley around when it launched as the free/newbie server, and spent many days dodging bears/spiders/scorps and searching for my corpse. Soon after, I spent many days searching for non hostile life, because the animal caps were shared and cows/chickens/etc basically never spawned.

My second visit to Wurm (2010) was after everything harder to kill than a wolf on GV was wiped for the safety of the newbies...I found Zephyr's abandoned pet bears, the last of their species, and started raising brown bears ^_^.

My third visit to Wurm (2012) I moved off of GV, dodged more scorpions, spiders, hell scorpions and hell hounds, scraped together enough selling some GV accounts to buy myself a trader, worked for enough to buy prem and a deed, and made a small little place on South Exodus :D. Also forayed into Chaos and Epic near the end of this session.

This is my fourth visit back, my Exo deed decayed Q_Q so I built a rowboat and off I went exploring. Dodged more hell hounds and trolls, and I'm currently settling down on the south coast of Xanadu, selling concrete for prem Q_Q.

I'm pretty happy Wurm waited for me to grow up and learn programming xD I coincidentally started learning programming around when I discovered wurm. Now I've graduated and working :D

• Like 2

Lol glad to see you changed your minds on the refresh change since "Incentives to cook" translated directly to "punishment for being a casual player". I don't have time to micro-manage my food bar when I am online, because first I have to repair everything I own since it takes massive hits of decay when I can't be online even though I pay for a deed. Then I usually have to fight with a bug for an hour in order to fix something (last time I logged in I had to fix walls that had lost their reinforcements + several cave-ins in a deeded cave opening). Last time I logged in I didn't even have time to do what I wanted to do in the game, and when I don't have to wrestle a bug I want to make the most of the time I have for grinding - Not cook different themed meals with a thousand ingredients because someone has a boner for immersion.

Once upon a time sleep bonus was compensation for the players who couldn't be logged in every hour of their life in order to grind so that even casual players could make the most of their time online. I miss those days, along with not having to micro-manage the food bar every time you want to skill something. The game was better before nutrition was introduced and now everything revolves around it.

I'm glad on behalf of the players who actually enjoy cooking because they will get more intricate recipes to play around with, but in the capacity of a casual player I won't have any enjoyment from them nor will I have the time to fiddle with recipes when I log in to do what I enjoy. I don't care that I won't get the buffs that the meals give and the cooking players will get, it's a price I'm willing to pay in order to not have to let my playtime revolve around sustenance.

• Like 8

I'm also casual player, tho I don't care much about nutrition I do care about decay and damage on my weapons, tools and enchants. Could you please make it so if I use rare trash or refresh on items I get refill on enchants and full reimp. Because I hate to micromanage enchantments and ql of items, it's such a burden *sad face, sigh, whine*. I really hate to grind weapons smithing, plate smithing or blacksmithing, I feel like a slave locked to forge or altar and it just keeps me away from stuff i like to do... like hunting, animal care, picking flowers, fruits, mushrooms in woods or just sailing and sight seeing. But i do like a benefits of hq items and nice enchantments.

• Like 1

I posted this elsewhere but it's highly relevant.

Instead of removing it, could just make the skill bonus baseline so everyone has it but it would have the be at 99% always. If the devs were trying to suggest that earlier, a lot of people wouldn't of went berserk. Communication is the key to changes like this. Obviously they would have to give POL's refresh a new bonus. One logical one would be every time you use it you get a free hour of sleep bonus. 

I think you would make a lot of people happy and 1 hour would be a fair trade off. 

Edited by Niki

4 hours ago, bramsky said:

I'm also casual player, tho I don't care much about nutrition I do care about decay and damage on my weapons, tools and enchants. Could you please make it so if I use rare trash or refresh on items I get refill on enchants and full reimp. Because I hate to micromanage enchantments and ql of items, it's such a burden *sad face, sigh, whine*. I really hate to grind weapons smithing, plate smithing or blacksmithing, I feel like a slave locked to forge or altar and it just keeps me away from stuff i like to do... like hunting, animal care, picking flowers, fruits, mushrooms in woods or just sailing and sight seeing. But i do like a benefits of hq items and nice enchantments.

Apples and oranges, obvious troll is obvious.

And generally those mocking casual players are on welfare or heading there =P

For casual players the nutrition skill bonuses are minimal, but for those seeking to perfect their skillgain, the new cooking system will vastly outperform that. The original design was to allow stacking of refresh and cooking skillgain bonuses, but with the current refreshing system that is a little too dominating a path.

Again, this is not something that is being "forced" on players, it's an MMO, and trading is always possible. Wanting to be a woodcutter does not force blacksmithing or mining on someone.

Issues such as decay of meals, and other factors will be included and we will go over those in future updates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Again, this is not something that is being "forced" on players, it's an MMO, and trading is always possible.

Pretty hard to trade when there is no people playing on the epic cluster.

Easier said then done.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LorenaMontana said:

Pretty hard to trade when there is no people playing on the epic cluster.

Easier said then done.

Especially when 20+ people got conned out of $10k+ and Wurm went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ deal with it.

Many people ain't gunna trust trading with the Wurm market now lol

Edited by Redd
  • Like 4

Retrograde, as I'm sure you're aware:
Comparing choosing woodcutting over blacksmithing to removing the benefits of refresh is like telling people to start eating cookies instead of bread when the real issue is that they don't have money for either. The problem isn't that we're expected to choose one over the other, the problem is that over the course of the last 4 years more and more activities in the game have been altered to revolve around food. We don't even have the option anymore to choose not to care about sustenance because everything we do is so heavily dependent on it. At least with the current system we can compensate for the lack of time to do all the chores involved in food making by eating rares we've gathered up while doing things we enjoy or by using the path of love ability which we grinded in order to attain.

If you had gone through with the change I would not have been able to log in to do what I enjoy, because I don't enjoy standing around starving while my skill gains are rubbish. As I'm also sure you're aware I live in a village and an alliance that cover all the skills in the game, so it's not like I'd have a hard time getting others to do stuff for me. I do, however, not want to impose on everyone else's playtime every time I log in just because I myself don't have the time to grow all the vegetables needed or cook all the food I'll need. I don't play together with the people in my village in order to be able to exploit them, I play with them because I enjoy their company and so that we can do things together if we should choose to do so.

And to the troll who tried to make fun of me:

I'm pretty sure that even as a current casual player I still have a lot better skills than you'll ever be able to muster up, regardless of how many streamlined suggestions that benefit you personally that you try to push. You won't be able to "beat me" by trying to push changes that fit your personal playstyle, and even if you manage to get better skills than I have you still haven't accomplished anything because I don't care about your little ego bubble - I play games to have a good time, not partake in your imaginary competition against all others.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

For casual players the nutrition skill bonuses are minimal, but for those seeking to perfect their skillgain, the new cooking system will vastly outperform that. The original design was to allow stacking of refresh and cooking skillgain bonuses, but with the current refreshing system that is a little too dominating a path.

Again, this is not something that is being "forced" on players, it's an MMO, and trading is always possible. Wanting to be a woodcutter does not force blacksmithing or mining on someone.

Issues such as decay of meals, and other factors will be included and we will go over those in future updates.

I don't want to "trade" coins for a meal that will be rotted to pig food in 24 hours. I cannot stress this more.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Audrel said:

I don't want to "trade" coins for a meal that will be rotted to pig food in 24 hours. I cannot stress this more.

right now, and possibly after all the new changes.   

Meals don't decay in the mail.  In addition they stay hot, even after 7 days of sitting there.  So have your local chef whip up something and mail you several COD.  Cooking is done, I do this to great advantage.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tallios said:

right now, and possibly after all the new changes.   

Meals don't decay in the mail.  In addition they stay hot, even after 7 days of sitting there.  So have your local chef whip up something and mail you several COD.  Cooking is done, I do this to great advantage.

I thought hotas would do it. I am glad there is something that does. We have cooks - very good ones. Thanks for this. 

1 minute ago, Audrel said:

I thought hotas would do it. I am glad there is something that does. We have cooks - very good ones. Thanks for this. 

Still a lot of useful tidbits that seem to be uncommon knowledge.

Hotas will keep them hot.  I hadn't heard anything about them keeping them from decaying.  Mail is 14 days unless another change has happened and not been publicized.

1 minute ago, Pashka said:

Hotas will keep them hot.  I hadn't heard anything about them keeping them from decaying.  Mail is 14 days unless another change has happened and not been publicized.

7 days for you and then returned automatically

Meal decay is something that will be included in these changes, while they're not solid yet, they will be addressed.

Refreshing will still have its uses, and I hope to go through the details of the cooking update prior to introducing them to the test server for everyone to participate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Meal decay is something that will be included in these changes, while they're not solid yet, they will be addressed.

Refreshing will still have its uses, and I hope to go through the details of the cooking update prior to introducing them to the test server for everyone to participate.

I don't envy you the flak you've taken over this whole affair.  Keep up the good work man!

So rare sac's and refresh are still on the table for nerfage, going to nerf the lib followers too? (they eat by standing on mycleium in case you didn't know)