Sign in to follow this  

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Refreshing
Of course, many of you know that the Path of Love ability, and the rare item sacrifice refreshing grant instant max nutrition, food, stamina and water. A lot have asked about whether there will be changes to how this current system works, and in short, the answer is yes:

• Refresh will now, most likely, give less than 99% nutrition, but will still fill your food and water bars and your stamina bar when it used to as well.
  • PoL refresh will set you to 50% nutrition when you first get that ability, and will increase by a further 5% for each level after that to a max of 99%. (e.g. Refresh at level 8 gives 50% + 20% (5% for every level above level 4)

I will want the same option to switch 2 of my alts from PoL to a different path once this nerf goes into effect, as was offered when the nerf to PoI was introduced.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eobersig said:

Holy batman!

Is all this crying and screaming and kicking in this thread because you cannot have 99% nutrition at all times without any effort any more? That you now might need some effort to get to 99%? That having to do with 80% nutrition completely ruins the game for you guys and makes it - of course - totally unplayable? The sense of senseless entitlement is strong in this thread.

Here's a newsflash for all you guys: One can play Wurm without having 99% nutrition. I know, I know, you didn't think it was possible. But it is. Really, it is. No black hole or rift will open to suck you into oblivion. Many people have managed it. Nothing bad happens when you do it as well. Your character doesn't become useless. You won't fall dead to the ground when you don't have 99% nutrition.

Now get over it please.

As to the cooking update. I value it but let me include a warning: On the first look it seems rather over-engineered and over-complex.

to be honest, i dont give a damn about nutrition nerf personally, i really dont.

but time and effort that did go into this couldvbe been used somewhere, where it wouldve made much more sense...

but hey what do i know

• Like 1

PoL ability is a bit op. This was prob one of the main reasons I never swapped to path of insanity, so maybe I make the switch now as fill pretty much gives me almost the same as refresh now, I just don't get an aesthetically pleasing green bar.

The double healing from Love is probably not worth keeping due to the fact it heals the smallest wound first (thus is 100% negated in pvp vs frostbrand/flaming aura or AoSP armours)

As others have said, probably didn't need to nerf it when using the new cooking system can grant you 10x the additional exp bonus, so there's already pretty good incentives..

Edited by MetalDragon

2 hours ago, Firecat said:

I feel like there is not common sense or any thought going into these changes anymore. Can you tell the playerbase what you propose to change with the game instead of just releasing rubbish

I think this bears repeating...for a long time I've said (mostly with reference to PvP) that if the playerbase understood the overall vision - for the game as a whole, PvP, PvE, a particular mechanic or skillgroup - then it's a lot easier to stomach change.  Many will not agree with that vision necessarily, but at least we would know there is one and what a given change or changes were working towards.

Nice destruction of PoL. Enchanted grass reverts and gets packed often after it's nerf and now, to add insult to injury, you nerf the hell out of Refresh. Getting a tick is like trying to hit a flying bird with a peanut while blindfolded and then that tick is so minuscule that one wonders if 2 hours of waiting out the timer is even worth it.

If that's not bad enough, you do the same to sacrifice so that unless you are a 100 miner that is blessed by the RNG gods, eating garbage meals is better than saccing a supreme item. 

At least remove the nerf to enchanted grass with this gutting of refresh so that PoL is even worth doing. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eobersig said:

Is all this crying and screaming and kicking in this thread because you cannot have 99% nutrition at all times without any effort any more?

Now get over it please.

The "crying" is about the changes not making any sense and alienating the current "refreshers" without any valid economic reason to do so. In a game this old, the last thing you want to do is take things away and not offer anything better back. You know, bring value back to the game? It's always about stupid piece-meal changes with no foresight.  If anything, refresh becomes marginalized with the new system, so why even bother with it? Shows a real lack of understanding.

Also, entitlement is an expectation. This 'feature' was a given, and has been for some time.

Well hopefully after it goes live we can get some constructive critiques and help the dev's fine tune this

Lol, and that exactly is what is wrong with Wurm....

Whomever mentioned "can i code plz?!" really made me laugh.

Edited by Shazaam
  • Like 1

Even though I probably won't bother with the new cooking update personally once it comes out myself. I was somewhat looking forward to it before today, I feel as though this was perhaps the wrong way to go about giving people a reason to use the new system. For someone like me who doesn't want to hardcore RP surviving in Wurm I don't want to have to get up everyday and spend 30mins of my limited play time just making food before I can do something else - hence why I actually really appreciated the rare system. It allowed to me to keep myself mostly fed while actually being productive ingame doing what I wanted to do. Which is something the devs should be aspiring players to be able to do as much as possible (play the game in whichever why they would like). 

Whilst I realise this set of updates hasn't completely changed this, it has started moving things in a dangerous direction which I am somewhat skeptical about. The overall reaction from alot of people I think expresses why - we should want to use a new system because it presents an enjoyable aspect to the game not because it's setting a new level requirement to the meta and the alternatives have been nerfed into the ground. Perhaps it's just the lack of information available at this time or the fact I havn't had a chance to try the new system first hand but it feels as though alot of us will be dragged kicking and screaming into feeling compelled to use it to keep up with others. 

I'll certainly be keeping an open mind as this all develops and I sincerely hope I am wrong about some of my assumptions here. 

Edited by Emoo
  • Like 3

May I add my 5 copper to this overwhelming thread ?

As we all see these new updates makes most of us upset. Working on PoL for so long as with any other meditation path and see such silly changes after all that time waste, please make sure you do compensate us with free path change at least !

But here are my more useful suggestions:

1. Add to PoL some new useful ability to compensate for loss of refresh, so we can continue staying on this path.

2. Instead of wasting your time on rendering endless amount of new food items that we will rarely see , invest your time into rendering 1 very useful item that we suppose to have in game from beginning the same as we have food pantry - invent medieval fridge !

You can call it Larder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larder

or Icebox

Spoiler

Medieval_fridge_marksburg.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icebox

In this case please program new ability to harvest ice during winter time !

or maybe you can render new structure - Ice House https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_house_(building)

It can be stand alone building just like Guard Tower where we can add ice and store raw meats ( to keep original name of animal so we can cook specific meal ) raw fish, meals, raw furs with original names ( for making rugs later )  etc.

BTW what about fish storage ? Can we cook it and store same as cooked meat at least ?

3. If you still want waste your time investing it into rendering new meal dishes , how about programming new option to drop items on tables or other furniture ? This way we can actually have real medieval feasts , add some cool bonus if you invite others for dinner , so we actually can use table and food on it for extra bonus. Same with chairs, when you use it you get some extra stamina or something else.

I think easier way to add ability to drop items on furniture is to make separate model for tables , keep empty one as original and create new one with food items or other stuff . Or just program option to be able to drop any items on top of furniture such as flower pots, flowers, small objects suitable for display , piles of food, meals etc.

Spoiler

8cf8a22e0cd22c8df165d0fd2d198b10.jpg

Hope we will have more happy , useful and fun updates in future instead of such as this one :rolleyes:

Regarding sacrificing rares change. Please leave them alone! Some of us making leaving from selling rares which are useless for anything else except sacrifice.

Maybe , if you still want to completely remove ability to  get 99% on all stats from sacrificing rares, compensate it by giving us random useful gift from Gods by sacrificing rares , not only supreme or fantastic which are really rare LOL ( I mean useful and not those stupid mushrooms ) or add random skill gain bonus as compensation instead of gift .

In other words, if you removing some useful ability/options from game  please make sure you compensate it with something nice, otherwise you will start losing more players indeed.

Edited by Rhea
Forgot about rares
  • Like 5

If the Wurm Dev's decide that changing the entire cooking system is more important than fixing things like hitched horses outside a mine when the cart is inside the mine, well then good for them.  If I had my own business, i'd fix what is broke before i would go making more work for my customers.

As for the nerfing the sac'ing rares and such, it was a change when it was introduced, and can be changed anytime as far as i'm concerned. Take the rares out, leave them in, I don't care.

As for the nerfing the POL..... well, that is as much nonsense as nerfing the POI... people weigh the benefits of the different paths and follow the ones that they believe will benefit them the most.

Everytime you nerf things that people have worked at getting, you altar peoples desire to want to keep playing the game.  A little here, a little there.... soon it will be enough to lose the players you should be trying to keep.  You should offer a path change for all paths of meditation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Refresh is currently horribly overpowered for how easily you can get it, and completely trivializes/bypasses an entire game system (food).

Yeah, Path of Love isn't great aside from that, but the solution to that is to make the rest of the path better, not to keep Refresh absurdly powerful. For example, maybe make enchanted trees useful, which I've suggested before but the devs don't seem to have much (public) interest in.

Once per day. It's not like you can refresh yourself continually. They removed enchanted trees ages ago, other than the ability to waste an enchant on them. They nerfed the grass to revert and even pack. Now they cut the hell out of refresh. They effectively just made PoL into PoS. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

To use your own analogy: Weaponsmithing is already mandatory if you want to fight anything or protect yourself, since you need a weapon for that. If you don't want to do it yourself, you buy a weapon from somebody else instead. Same deal.

Cooking will still be optional in the sense that refresh will still be available, and making lower quality food will still presumably be possible at lower skill. You just wouldn't get the full benefits of the system, because you're refusing to deal with it or live/trade with people who do. This seems fair to me.

You don't buy a sword today and it is rotted away tomorrow.

• Like 1

• Refresh will now, most likely, give less than 99% nutrition, but will still fill your food and water bars and your stamina bar when it used to as well.

OK, so explain to me how I can get 99% from HFC.  Even if I use 90 ql meat and a 90 ql veggie I don't get 99%... so you need to explain to alot of angry players how we will continue to be able to maximize our skill gains.

No, it's NOT trivial.  People spend 5 silver for the *Best* CoC casted tools in the land, people pay for the 1 ql mats (like charcoal for metallurgy) because they want the best XP possible.  We demand to know how you intend to compensate for the loss of refresh and sacrificing rares!

PoL refresh will set you to 50% nutrition when you first get that ability, and will increase by a further 5% for each level after that to a max of 99%. (e.g. Refresh at level 8 gives 50% + 20% (5% for every level above level 4)

This one angers me even more, and I'm not even PoL.  Path of Insanity players have been suggesting and almost unanimously agreeing that it would be better to see a scaled Shield of the Gone for all levels of the path of insanity.  Why couldn't the devs do the same thing to SoTG?  Increase it by increments of 5% at every level on the path so newer players get SOMETHING from an otherwise completely useless meditation path.

Like the others, I'm very disappointed.  Tich, we love you, but this is a clear example of how the devs clearly have the WRONG priorities.  By all means, let us compound the problem that makes 90% of new players quit Wurm by nerfing skill gain EVEN MORE.  #@%#! STUPID!!!

Edited by Wargasm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kadore said:

So if I am to understand some aspects of the new cooking system: 

Player A may get a digging bonus from drinking koolaid while player B would get farming or whatever?

So now we need notes,  a spreadsheet or a really good memory to fully use the new cooking features.

Something like that? That's my guess from what Retrograde says.

If so, then yeah, we really need some in-game way to keep track of this. This seems plausible enough, since we'll have access to an in-game recipe book.

22 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

OK, so explain to me how I can get 99% from HFC.  Even if I use 90 ql meat and a 90 ql veggie I don't get 99%... so you need to explain to alot of angry players how we will continue to be able to maximize our skill gains.

No, it's NOT trivial.  People spend 5 silver for the *Best* CoC casted tools in the land, people pay for the 1 ql mats (like charcoal for metallurgy) because they want the best XP possible.  We demand to know how you intend to compensate for the loss of refresh and sacrificing rares!

... Even if you can only get 60% nutrition with your meals, you'll get VASTLY more skill gain bonus by using the recipe-specific bonuses Retrograde mentioned. Options for enhanced skill gain will be better than they are now, not worse.

Edited by Ostentatio

wow bother messing with PoL refresh or even refresh from saccables .. this makes no sense at all. Just because you want to implement a WoW style useless food menu and interrupt and already working food system you are taking away things that people have actually worked to get. You think I spent months (years) on the PoL and the stupid meditation ticks to only have it ripped away?

This is just another reason why you can't get people to pay for this game and stay with it anymore.

Just now, SmackedDown said:

You think I spent months (years) on the PoL and the stupid meditation ticks to only have it ripped away?

It takes like a week to get Refresh from PoL. Any additional investment in the path was irrespective of that.

Why Rolf. Why must you do this to us? Obviously no one is for the PoL/rarity nerfs, but well done for the cooking update. 

not sure how you would manage it in week it takes minimum of 10 days .. 

4* 6 Days 10 Days 12 hours

Not to mention days with on meditation ticks or is that just a Chaos bug that you don't get ticks? I am sure its not .

I don't agree with the backlash for the refresh change one bit, but you've been heard - we won't change the nutrition gained from refresh/sacrificng.

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Given as you go up in the path the refresh bonus increases, it's not a loss, just not as instant a bonus.

Yeah right considering how stupid insane it is to even Get a dam tick increase in meditation.  Now if you make so that there is NO randomness to gaining meditation skill gain then fine yeah sure go ahead nerf it.

First you change enchant grass / tree to be randomly Unenchanted, now this.  Lame, just stupid lame.

And really 13-15 hour refresh how freakin over powered is it that you have to nerf it like that.  Yes it is a Neft.  Stupid ignorant and shortsighted or just plain old don't give a crap about your players anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SmackedDown said:

Not to mention days with on meditation ticks or is that just a Chaos bug that you don't get ticks? I am sure its not .

You don't have to wait meditation timers at all, path 4 only needs 15 skill

3 minutes ago, Budda said:

I don't agree with the backlash for the refresh change one bit, but you've been heard - we won't change the nutrition gained from refresh/sacrificng.

So now instead of a really basic food system most players ignore, we'll have a really complex food system most players ignore. Nice.

5 minutes ago, Budda said:

Instead of doing, 'we have created a entire new system of cooking and to make everyone like it we are going to completely nerf nutrition', you could of talked to your player base first and had a discussion about the changes and taken some feedback on this before leaping ahead.

It is this uncertainty that has your player based running scared every time you come up with some new changes right out of left field.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JakeRivers said:

Instead of doing, 'we have created a entire new system of cooking and to make everyone like it we are going to completely nerf nutrition', you could of talked to your player base first and had a discussion about the changes and taken some feedback on this before leaping ahead.

There was never stated to be any sort of nerf to nutrition.