Sign in to follow this  

As a caster, I require 99 nut for my best casts.  Perhaps it is fun to say that the char you just spent years and years to get up to the high end level just became ###### but that is what I feel like right now

Edit because Circe just can't help himself.  This is a sandbox.  You can do everything or nothing.  It is a game of leisure.  But now we are being FORCED to do things that perhaps we would rather not do.  Most games only allow you to do certain things.  If you do this you can't do that.  The only way this game limits is on priests or non priests.

Edited by Pashka
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pashka said:

As a caster, I require 99 nut for my best casts.

No you don't. Nutrition has no effect on that whatsoever.

Just now, Ostentatio said:

You're right, it's not the definition of a sandbox, but Wurm Online was never a pure sandbox to begin with. Otherwise, we wouldn't have skills, and everyone would just be able to do everything. Essentially, it would be Minecraft.

This kind of cooking system seems like a step towards minecraft. A whole lot of useless recipes and no real alternatives. 

Just because it doesn't give you the optimum effect, doesn't mean it's useless. Is everyone in Wurm some kind of min/maxer? No. They aren't. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, irobotnik8 said:

This kind of cooking system seems like a step towards minecraft. A whole lot of useless recipes and no real alternatives. 

Useless? The devs have hinted at (and sometimes directly mentioned) specific bonuses that specific foods will give.

4 minutes ago, Cunk said:

Right.  I want to go back to Insanity now.

Pretty sure we're all on that path right now. 

Refreshing
Of course, many of you know that the Path of Love ability, and the rare item sacrifice refreshing grant instant max nutrition, food, stamina and water. A lot have asked about whether there will be changes to how this current system works, and in short, the answer is yes:

• Refresh will now, most likely, give less than 99% nutrition, but will still fill your food and water bars and your stamina bar when it used to as well.
  • PoL refresh will set you to 50% nutrition when you first get that ability, and will increase by a further 5% for each level after that to a max of 99%. (e.g. Refresh at level 8 gives 50% + 20% (5% for every level above level 4)

Yet another reason why we'll see more people leaving the game. You are taking away something that people have with no reward. Do you know how many people have done PoL just for that? it's the most popular path because of refresh and enchant grass.

Doing stuff like this people will bounce back, but every time you guys do a stuff move everyone bounces back a little less until they quit.

Btw, That for the video showcase :)

• Like 2

Not to forget: more animal farms, meat, milk, eggs.... higher creature rates on deeds. Wasnt there a problem with lag because of to many horse farms? Or isnt that a problem? What comes next lowering of max creature rates? Really... I see that coming as consequence sooner or later ?

It doesn't say the bonus is random. It says the bonus depends on the player (for some reason?) and the ingredients used. Possibly other things. Bear in mind we aren't getting full details here and all of this is subject to change.

30 minutes ago, Sirene said:

Not to forget: more animal farms, meat, milk, eggs.... higher creature rates on deeds. Wasnt there a problem with lag because of to many horse farms? Or isnt that a problem? What comes next lowering of max creature rates? Really... I see that coming as consequence sooner or later ?

The bigger problem with horse farms is that there weren't any horses spawning naturally because of it. Deed ratio will still prevent people hoarding too many animals; they'll probably just diversify their animal stock a bit depending on what they need.

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit
  • Like 1

Just so it's said, I have nothing against a new cooking system as options and flavor are always great to have

The problem is when things are nerfed/ruined for the sake of encouraging using something new.  Find ways to encourage using different things without nerfing existing things, like nerfing plate won't make people use leather or some other example like this.  but really.. skill gain bonuses should be enough of an incentive to cook these new things without having to touch nutrition from other stuff.  make it optional not forced

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, Sila said:

or hot 99ql meal at all traders for only 20c each with fruit drink :D

ironic for a player that just called another out for "putting words into the devs mouth"

Just now, Ostentatio said:

It says the bonus depends on the player (for some reason?)

Probably to randomize all the recipes per player so there's no meta and to introduce even more variety I guess

Player A makes pumpkin pie, bonus to foraging

Player B makes pumpkin pie, bonus to mining

etc

I like it, makes it so I have to experiment with recipes to get what I need instead of looking it up on the wiki

Will probably be ass for some players though who get weird/rare ingredients for their -useful skill here- food

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Galatyn said:

@TeeeBOMB

At least you didn't waste 70s each for fountain pans that have been in the game for a very long time only to be told that they will lose their functionality near the beginning of 2017.  Or that you didn't invest in traders only to have the fund pool significantly decreased through being shared with foraging and hunting.

That's called a "failed investment". It's the risk that comes with buying things, especially bugged things, knowing it can change any time. Or did the devs ever promise fountain pans and traders would always stay in their then current state? Honestly I'm curious.

2 minutes ago, irobotnik8 said:

You're right. I HOPE it's random. If "depends on the player" means I'm 100% guaranteed to only get a 10% bonus to some ###### like warhammer skill, then the devs are more moronic than I thought. Sadly I think that's how it's going to end up since they probably just copied and pasted the affinity code for this stupid update.

Well, if that recipe gives you a bonus to warhammer skill... use a different recipe instead that gives you a bonus to something you actually use?

1 minute ago, Elktazahjr said:

That's called a "failed investment". It's the risk that comes with buying things, especially bugged things, knowing it can change any time. Or did the devs ever promise fountain pans and traders would always stay in their then current state? Honestly I'm curious.

People have repeatedly stated that Rolf, once upon a time, said that fountain pans would never be removed. Staff have looked through forum backups and IRC logs and haven't found anything supporting things, and nobody has ever been able to provide a direct quote or otherwise substantiate the claim.

We also have around a year or so of logs/chats that noone has because of another issue.  But keep on acting like everyone that knew it was said is lying just to keep something that some of them do not even have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ostentatio said:

Well, if that recipe gives you a bonus to warhammer skill... use a different recipe instead that gives you a bonus to something you actually use?

People have repeatedly stated that Rolf, once upon a time, said that fountain pans would never be removed. Staff have looked through forum backups and IRC logs and haven't found anything supporting things, and nobody has ever been able to provide a direct quote or otherwise substantiate the claim.

and if the only ones worth eating are the ones that require seryll lumps or keel sections to cook? Since we don't know what the recipes are, I'm not ruling that out.

• Like 1

I do have a question about this whole cooking change thing.

If I have 99% nutrition, and I'm hungry.  Will eating an apple or a few veggies because I'm out and about.   

Will this COMPLETELY ....... my nutrition to like 10%????

The largest complaint in cooking is how if you don't magically eat a meal, you might as well go ..... yourself nutritionally speaking.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, irobotnik8 said:

and if the only ones worth eating are the ones that require seryll lumps or keel sections to cook? Since we don't know what the recipes are, I'm not ruling that out.

I think one of the recipes will allow users to permanently end wurm online servers. We don't know the recipes yet so that might very well be possible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, irobotnik8 said:

If you're going to assume the absolute worst, sure. I can't honestly fathom the system being that absurd and horrible.

4 minutes ago, Pashka said:

We also have around a year or so of logs/chats that noone has because of another issue.  But keep on acting like everyone that knew it was said is lying just to keep something that some of them do not even have.

I'm not saying people are lying. I'm saying people have been unable to substantiate it. Nobody has even been able to give me a straight answer regarding where he said it, or under what circumstances, or what exactly he said. Given people's propensity to misinterpret, misattribute, and misremember things, I don't have a lot of faith that he ever said this. Maybe he did, but I'm hardly counting on it.

3 minutes ago, Tallios said:

I do have a question about this whole cooking change thing.

If I have 99% nutrition, and I'm hungry.  Will eating an apple or a few veggies because I'm out and about.   

Will this COMPLETELY ....... my nutrition to like 10%????

The largest complaint in cooking is how if you don't magically eat a meal, you might as well go ..... yourself nutritionally speaking.

This has always bugged me too. Wurm has a very strange idea of what nutrition is.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

Adding my voice to the list of people saying "Why the hell did you have to nerf Pol?"   Really, who was upset about it?  No-one, so why change it?  It's like the old saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it."  It wasn't broke.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:
  • Refresh will now, most likely, give less than 99% nutrition, but will still fill your food and water bars and your stamina bar when it used to as well.
  • PoL refresh will set you to 50% nutrition when you first get that ability, and will increase by a further 5% for each level after that to a max of 99%. (e.g. Refresh at level 8 gives 50% + 20% (5% for every level above level 4

Actual exert from the recent developer meeting:

hey lets not release the new cooking update

but you know what?

the """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""bonus""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" from high nutrition triggers some freedomers

lets nerf refresh right now

even though we nerfed enchant grass already

this will surely make the game much better

• Like 2

Yes you are saying that by keeping up with this.  You bring it up everytime you cannot make a logical argument in any thread.  Just keep it up.  That is the only argument you have for things so keep on using it.  We will get over it.  But you won't find it in the code you so love to profess.  It isn't there.  I'd love to put that line there so you can say you found it in the code though so it has to be gospel.

3 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

Adding my voice to the list of people saying "Why the hell did you have to nerf Pol?"   Really, who was upset about it?  No-one, so why change it?  It's like the old saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it."  It wasn't broke.

The food system was definitely broken. It was an entire game system that encouraged you not to use it, since refreshing is strictly better than eating. When you have a game system set up in such a way that completely incentivizes you to avoid it at all costs, I'd consider that broken!

I'd also consider it broken for one of the most useful meditation abilities to be the absolute easiest to get.

1 minute ago, Pashka said:

Yes you are saying that by keeping up with this.  You bring it up everytime you cannot make a logical argument in any thread.  Just keep it up.  That is the only argument you have for things so keep on using it.  We will get over it.  But you won't find it in the code you so love to profess.  It isn't there.  I'd love to put that line there so you can say you found it in the code though so it has to be gospel.

I have to assume you're referring to me here, but I'm honestly not sure what you mean by this.

If this is about nutrition and channeling, nutrition has never had a direct effect on skill rolls, channeling included. I know people love to get superstitious about channeling/enchantment, but this is the first I've heard of some alleged bonus from nutrition, and it simply doesn't exist.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Greyfox said:

I think that you have this incorrect.   Nobody complained because everyone liked this too much.  Who doesn't want a refresh that can be targeted at anyone?  I know people who have once premium toons to refresh their main.  So this is obviously an abuse, the talent is not limited to self, it has only the cost of meditating for a bit.  Lastly you don't even need to be premium to get it.  So this was in fairness closer to an easily abuse-able skill

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

PoL refresh will set you to 50% nutrition when you first get that ability, and will increase by a further 5% for each level after that to a max of 99%. (e.g. Refresh at level 8 gives 50% + 20% (5% for every level above level 4)

Time for free converts from PoL?

By the way, will it SET me to 50 if i had 99 befor eusing it?

• Like 2