Sign in to follow this  

Food system until now existed quite well alongside refresh and sac items. Like someone said, it could've used a bit more depth, not such a complex overhaul. When this system will be implemented, refresh(I'd say sub 10th level) and rare sac will be pretty much useless. I don't see myself saccing a rare, to get 60-70 nutrition. Even this would've been better, when saccing a rare would simply fill food/water and leaving nutrition untouched.. instead lowering nutrition.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sila said:

its highly inappropriate  to put  words into devs mouths or out of it here, we are community you seems to be one of them  ... Ostentatio

I don't think I did that.

Anyway, honestly, I understand why people are frustrated by this: People get invested in the feature set the way it is, and the playstyle that affords them. Even good changes can be frustrating since they shake things up and people have to adjust accordingly. It sucks, but I'd rather have things change and get better for the long term even if it's disruptive in the short term. This is hardly the first time a change has been made that alters how the game is generally played.

No way can I sac even a supreme for the game of chance and hit 70 nut.  Guess I can sell em.....

How about making 1 rare give 10% of nutrition bonus, so you would need to sac 10 to get 99. P2win, like most of the games...

3 minutes ago, rixk said:

Even this would've been better, when saccing a rare would simply fill food/water and leaving nutrition untouched.. instead lowering nutrition.

Should be this.

Refresh and sac should not reduce the better nutrition that you have, just fill it back up.

And supreme+ should be 99%

Edited by Omar
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bangzuvelis said:

How about making 1 rare give 10% of nutrition bonus, so you would need to sac 10 to get 99. P2win, like most of the games...

This actually seems like a pretty good idea, having rare+ sacrifices give a bonus to the nutrition you already have. Would keep them useful without making food irrelevant.

or hot 99ql meal at all traders for only 20c each with fruit drink :D

Welcome Meiyeeer!

That likely doesn't seem like quite as huge a welcome as it could be, but too large a font might just appear obnoxious ;).  Thanks for volunteering your time and skills, hope you have fun in the process!

About the incoming changes:

The cooking seems like a lot to wrap my head around, but I'm a big fan of complexity in gaming.  I've always thought the abundance of ingredients and potential variations in Wurm's cooking system was way under-used.  I'm sure there'll be changes and fine-tuning, but I'm looking forward to messing around with it all.  It may not be for everyone, but then neither is bashing other people over the head.  To each his or her own, this sounds like it could be really fun and interesting to me.

Yes, it does appear the word "change" :o is upon us again regarding refresh and saccing.  We've all seen, over many years, how some people in Wurm react to change as a concept regardless of what the change actually is.  Freak out first, continue to freak out, and then freak out some more.

Personally, it sounds like the system is now going to take existing stats and attributes into account.  I don't think it will involve too much more brainpower for people to figure out.  Take a deep breath, you'll live.

I do think the next step will be to have a viable way for players to sell food to others.  I may enjoy cooking, others may not.  If they prefer a text based medieval pew-pew... fine by me, they're welcome to buy my delicious meals and get back to... whatever it is they themselves find fun.

• Like 4

You guys are insane. How could you POSSIBLY think this would be a welcome change?

Were you expecting this backlash and weren't adequately prepared to deal with it, or are you so far out of touch with your playerbase that you thought this would go over well?

Either way, you failed. Miserably.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

I don't think I did that.

Anyway, honestly, I understand why people are frustrated by this: People get invested in the feature set the way it is, and the playstyle that affords them. Even good changes can be frustrating since they shake things up and people have to adjust accordingly. It sucks, but I'd rather have things change and get better for the long term even if it's disruptive in the short term. This is hardly the first time a change has been made that alters how the game is generally played.

No, people get frustrated, because there is no way around it from now on. Until now cooking was an optional feature(yes, some people actually used it). From now on it becomes mandatory, you can't avoid it. THAT is the problem.

Imagine an update, which makes weaponsmithing for example mandatory. All the weaponsmiths would be "meh", some of them would cheer, but most of the players would simply be pissed off.

• Like 4

I have already left Love path earlier. Now after the change why would anyone ever consider to join it? To grind for half a year more to get to the one of two useful abilities present now?

The last thing i wanted to do when playing was to spend my time cooking.

nerf enchant grass   done

nerf POK  done

nerf refresh   done

nerf foutain pans  done

nerf LT   done

nerf traders   done

add bridges,    done after 8 years

Edited by Sila
  • Like 4

I mean do not get me wrong, hot food cooking needed change 100% as well as rares  needed a nerf ( I use only rares and supreme for my bonus). POL, meeh, its a pve perk, so tbh I can not even have an opinion...  The thing is that getting rid of rare items sacrificing bonus will not allow new players to earn their first premium and get hooked on the game as well as us hermits will have to get from those caves to look for those carrying hands who can cook most delicious foods... I do not know, I am at 50/50 on these notes. Like I have mentioned, It had to be changed, but radically? - I am not sure...

• Like 1

Just now, rixk said:

No, people get frustrated, because there is no way around it from now on. Until now cooking was an optional feature(yes, some people actually used it). From now on it becomes mandatory, you can't avoid it. THAT is the problem.

Imagine an update, which makes weaponsmithing for example mandatory. All the weaponsmiths would be "meh", some of them would cheer, but most of the players would simply be pissed off.

To use your own analogy: Weaponsmithing is already mandatory if you want to fight anything or protect yourself, since you need a weapon for that. If you don't want to do it yourself, you buy a weapon from somebody else instead. Same deal.

Cooking will still be optional in the sense that refresh will still be available, and making lower quality food will still presumably be possible at lower skill. You just wouldn't get the full benefits of the system, because you're refusing to deal with it or live/trade with people who do. This seems fair to me.

@TeeeBOMB

At least you didn't waste 70s each for fountain pans that have been in the game for a very long time only to be told that they will lose their functionality near the beginning of 2017.  Or that you didn't invest in traders only to have the fund pool significantly decreased through being shared with foraging and hunting.  Or that the price of premium was raised only to be compensated with Rolf's pee that when consumed transforms the drinker into a various mob or item for a short while.  

It's possible that whatever you invest your money and/or time may change.  If this is too crazy for you and you don't like crazy, you might want to consider another game.

I feel like there is not common sense or any thought going into these changes anymore. Can you tell the playerbase what you propose to change with the game instead of just releasing rubbish

Edited by Firecat
  • Like 1

No weaponsmithing isn't mandatory.  Someone that doesn't fight or have any need to fight has no need for a weapon.  Especially now with the 50q they receive at the start.

1 minute ago, Ostentatio said:

To use your own analogy: Weaponsmithing is already mandatory if you want to fight anything or protect yourself, since you need a weapon for that. If you don't want to do it yourself, you buy a weapon from somebody else instead. Same deal.

Cooking will still be optional in the sense that refresh will still be available, and making lower quality food will still presumably be possible at lower skill. You just wouldn't get the full benefits of the system, because you're refusing to deal with it or live/trade with people who do. This seems fair to me.

Flawed analogy unless your next argument is that guard towers and deed guards are overpowered and need to be removed so everyone is forced to fight. With this update there will be pretty much no alternative to cooking.

Edited by irobotnik8

I don't fully agree with all of the changes, but I do agree with the attempt, and the nerf of refresh.  I would even go so far as to suggest a better change to the refresh would be for each path to get a refresh type action while meditating at a skill gain point = 5% per path level + some skill check?  this way path followers get the benefit when the meditate and could get a skill gain.  But ONLY on path tile.

Otherwise, I look forward to all the new changes and am excited to try out the new devised cooking methods.

2 minutes ago, rixk said:

Food has always been mandatory though, it's only those that that choose to go PoL or sac rares that can get around it

Meanwhile everyone that isn't PoK or can sac enough rares either have to grind up the skill a bit or interact with others for meals

Cooking before this overhaul sounds pretty bad for new players who are interested in it

If they are interested in cooking and such, they get ###### because most of the community completely ignores it and instead uses a meditation ability or sacs random ###### such a rare shard or a rare potato

• Like 1

Just now, irobotnik8 said:

Flawed analogy unless your next argument is that guard towers and deed guards are overpowered and need to be removed so everyone is forced to fight. With this update there will be pretty much no alternative to cooking.

The same alternatives will exist that exist now: Refreshing and sacrificing rares. The only difference is you won't get super high nutrition from it anymore.

Just now, Ostentatio said:

The same alternatives will exist that exist now: Refreshing and sacrificing rares. The only difference is you won't get super high nutrition from it anymore.

Which means they're not alternatives to grinding up your cooking skill. They're poor substitutes at best. 

Just now, irobotnik8 said:

Which means they're not alternatives to grinding up your cooking skill. They're poor substitutes at best. 

Then it sounds like you have a problem with the existence of food/nutrition in the first place, if you feel it should only exist if you can completely circumvent it. If so, at least be honest and say that.

• Like 1