Sign in to follow this  

All the people complaining about the refresh change, did you not read the second part of it?

Every path level after 4 increase it by 5%

At level 8, which is 40 meditation and is easy as ###### to get, you have a 90% 70% nutrition refresh

At level 10 it is 99% 80%

We currenly do not know anything at all about the nutrition/decay/longevity of these meals so saying that this is the end of Wurm is a bit of an exaggeration right now

For all we know, we could only have to cook once every few days if we simply want high nutrition, while if we want skill bonuses and such we would have to cook much more often (and thus providing more of a market of it I guess?)

And again, as said, if you live alone then having to cook is expected

If you live in a village then maybe someone else will cook for you

Edited by Worksock
I am math yes
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gringal said:

"This is a game there is only one right way to play it!  Your playing it wrong!" -you

You are everything that is wrong with modern gaming.  Please go to a corner and think about what you have done for the next 30 minutes.

Not saying that. I think multiple playstyles should be plausible, but within reason. I think living like a hermit and being highly self-reliant should be possible but present its own challenges and rewards, and that living in close proximity to others should be incentivized further, because right now it barely is at all. Dealing with the drudgery of growing and cooking your own food, etc. is part and parcel of that kind of playstyle, and it's up to you whether or not you want to deal with that. You can certainly play the game however the hell you want, but complaining about challenges inherent to your playstyle when there are other options available seems a bit silly.

Right now, I feel like there's too much incentive for people to run their own single-person deeds and not have to interact much with others, and that the balance needs to shift in the other direction a bit.

Also, this is a video game, not real life. What playstyles are plausible, what we're "allowed" to do, and literally everything else, is a matter of how the game is designed and what sort of experience it's trying to deliver.

I say this as someone who does live in a single-person village, by the way, so it's not like I don't have skin in the game here.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

My explanation to people with this kind of concern:

Stop expecting that living like a hermit is the end-all, be-all of Wurm's PvE experience, or is even intended to be that way in the first place. Go live in a village with someone who cooks if you don't want to cook.

Seriously, most of these "but I don't want to bother with these particular in-game systems" is "live with people who do". Stop expecting it to be super easy to live in a one-person village. If community and actual villages are meant to be important to the game, they have to actually mean something on a regular basis, and that might necessitate it being harder to be a hermit.

Can you please link one place in the game rules, description, or anywhere relevant that villages are necessary to play the game as intended.

It's common knowledge that large villages are truly the way to go in the pvp environment, but I can guarantee Rolf has enjoyed many a long vacation from Hermit deed upkeep.

Just now, Worksock said:

All the people complaining about the refresh change, did you not read the second part of it?

At level 8, which is 40 meditation and is easy as ###### to get, you have a 90% nutrition refresh

At level 10 it is 99%

We currenly do not know anything at all about the nutrition/decay/longevity of these meals so saying that this is the end of Wurm is a bit of an exaggeration right now

For all we know, we could only have to cook once every few days if we simply want high nutrition, while if we want skill bonuses and such we would have to cook much more often (and thus providing more of a market of it I guess?)

And again, as said, if you live alone then having to cook is expected

If you live in a village then maybe someone else will cook for you

Nobody is dumb enough to stay in Path of Love on anything other than Refresh alts and/or as a stepping stone to meditation paths that are actually useful.

• Like 1

Refresh is currently horribly overpowered for how easily you can get it, and completely trivializes/bypasses an entire game system (food).

Yeah, Path of Love isn't great aside from that, but the solution to that is to make the rest of the path better, not to keep Refresh absurdly powerful. For example, maybe make enchanted trees useful, which I've suggested before but the devs don't seem to have much (public) interest in.

Edited by Firestarter
Moderation Edit.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Currently 99% nutrition is used as a means of that extra 1% skillgain.

This system will allow high quality meals to give 10% skillgain instead of that (if they are in the 90 nutrition range)

Depends how hard those high end meals become to make, if you need 90+hfc and the meal still doesn't last long, then its still a sh*t change.

gg nerfing newer players o_0

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Worksock said:

At level 8, which is 40 meditation and is easy as ###### to get, you have a 90% nutrition refresh

At level 10 it is 99%

Actually, that would be 70% at level 8, which is not very good imo.

As in the OP:

• PoL refresh will set you to 50% nutrition when you first get that ability, and will increase by a further 5% for each level after that to a max of 99%. (e.g. Refresh at level 8 gives 50% + 20% (5% for every level above level 4)

2 minutes ago, irobotnik8 said:

Supposedly it was stolen from some Unlimited mod so it's pretty clear the devs are not AT ALL interested in doing anything themselves, but rather taking content from other players.

That is not what I said, but I reffered to a WU server run by a dev (Budda) and Retro is there with him also.

I play on that server since half a year or so. I still vote for it daily aswell even if I hate what they did to PoL and saccing there.

Here it will not be exactly same as there but almost. (as I see it)

1 minute ago, Galatyn said:

Actually, that would be 70% at level 8, which is not very good imo.

o ye I completely messed that up

70% at 8 and 80% at 10 is eh I guess

we need food and water system just minecraft got it...  everything you drink or eat will rise your food bar up and a bit of heal :D

Look, I understand the devs are all excited about the new cooking features.  But there is no justification for nerfing other ways of getting nutrition.  You know what?  Some of us don't wanna cook.  And even with your fancy new recipes, some of us still don't want to cook.  Just because cooked food is the devs preferred way of getting high nutrition, they have to force it down other people's throats?  Come on, guys.  You're better than this...

• Like 2

The renderer, at least partly is sharp on experimental client.

Just now, Ostentatio said:

Not really, in terms of effort vs. reward. 99 in a skill takes some significant effort to reach. Creating 99QL meals is also going to be really difficult, relying on pan QL/rarity, QL of ingredients, and luck. Meanwhile, PoL Refresh gives you higher nutrition than any meal can, and is achievable by a free account within a few days of starting the game.

You mean the Refresh that can only be used once per day and leaves you SOL without some sort of legitimate backup very quickly? That Refresh?

• Like 4

indeed, i never use any pan or food or meal in my 5 years of playing wurm and i will never"  becose i have WIFE at home who prepare meals for me and i just eat and sh it and doing fun things 

Edited by Sila

I like this system. PoL refresh will still have its place - when you're out in the wild and didn't take a pan, flint and steel along. I'll certainly be sticking to PoL.

When I think of my favourite survival game, I don't think of ones like Don't Starve, I actually think of ones like STALKER. Food's a consideration, but not a time-consumer. To that end, I think this change will be well-met with better food storage (there's designs involving clay and water that work almost as fridges in real life - some kind of lunchbox to keep it fresh in inventory would also be a treat) and more time between needing to eat.

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

With the cooking update, there will be several hundred recipes available, with only a tiny few visible by default

:angry:  I really wish Wurm would get over this...  If you're going to screw up nutrition just put out the list.

Wait, maybe if I put on my fist bracelet it'll reveal the recipes like a secret decoder ring.

Edited by Aaron_IRL
  • Like 2

Yea he means that refresh.  The 90 plus quality meals are already not the easiest to make.  I have 99 in hfc and out of 10 meals i MIGHT get 1 and that isn't a promise.  I use high quality even a rare pan and high quality ingredients.  But guess all of that is for ###### now.

Just because you are bored and need something new to do doesn't mean the rest of us need something new that we HAVE to do.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Atheline said:

Look, I understand the devs are all excited about the new cooking features.  But there is no justification for nerfing other ways of getting nutrition.  You know what?  Some of us don't wanna cook.  And even with your fancy new recipes, some of us still don't want to cook.  Just because cooked food is the devs preferred way of getting high nutrition, they have to force it down other people's throats?  Come on, guys.  You're better than this...

Of course there's justification: There's no point in a food system with any real complexity if you can bypass all of it trivially by sacrificing junk rares and using Refresh.

If you don't want to engage in parts of the game you don't enjoy, you don't have to. If you don't want to cook and eat food, you won't be able to get all the benefits of cooking and eating food. Why is that hard to grasp? And if you do want those benefits, and still don't want to cook, join up with some people who do.

2 minutes ago, Delacroix said:

You mean the Refresh that can only be used once per day and leaves you SOL without some sort of legitimate backup very quickly? That Refresh?

How quickly is very quickly? At 99% nutrition, your food bar lasts quite a while, and even if you fast once, you're still at 79% nutrition, so you're getting a 2.9% skillgain bonus instead of 4.9%. That's not really the worst bargain. I have two characters and play regularly, and still can manage to get most or all of my skilling done with 99% nutrition via one character knowing Refresh.

Just now, Ostentatio said:

Of course there's justification: There's no point in a food system with any real complexity if you can bypass all of it trivially by sacrificing junk rares and using Refresh.

If you don't want to engage in parts of the game you don't enjoy, you don't have to. If you don't want to cook and eat food, you won't be able to get all the benefits of cooking and eating food. Why is that hard to grasp? And if you do want those benefits, and still don't want to cook, join up with some people who do.

How quickly is very quickly? At 99% nutrition, your food bar lasts quite a while, and even if you fast once, you're still at 79% nutrition, so you're getting a 2.9% skillgain bonus instead of 4.9%. That's not really the worst bargain. I have two characters and play regularly, and still can manage to get most or all of my skilling done with 99% nutrition via one character knowing Refresh.

1: Did you ever think that there's a reason *why* people bypass it? It's a hassle and a chore, and most people would rather it either be done away with completely, or taken in a better direction--in fact, why not give us a 'warmth' meter, too? 

2: It means you're not being active enough. Try doing something that actually makes your character hungry and get back to me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Delacroix said:

1: Did you ever think that there's a reason *why* people bypass it? It's a hassle and a chore, and most people would rather it either be done away with completely, or taken in a better direction--in fact, why not give us a 'warmth' meter, too? 

2: It means you're not being active enough. Try doing something that actually makes your character hungry and get back to me.

1: I'd rather Wurm get more survival-type gameplay elements, not fewer. Obviously, not everybody wants that, and that's fine, but this is just my preference.

2: I've done all kinds of things, usually improving stuff like crazy since that's when I care most about nutrition. It lasts a decent amount of time, but then again, there are people who play a lot more than I do.

Really though, is it hard to have one person in your alliance or village who likes to cook, and can supply people with meals, if you don't want to do it yourself? I don't see why this should be such a huge hurdle to overcome.

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit

5 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

It's not just the nutrition its the full food bar, hes saying you need to use it once at the start of the day to get nutrition up then you got no backup for pvp / exploring whatever to get ur food bar up for fast stam.

Not all of us sit on deed all day and so have use of an alt for refresh or 2.

Edited by Omar

Seriously though I don't see the issue everyone is having

If you want extremely high nutrition to get that extra few % of skill bonus, then spend the time cooking

If you simple want your food bar filled with decent nutrition, then do some casual cooking once in a while

Nutrition has already had changes to it where low nut no longer gives a skilling penalty and such, so if a high nutrition bar feels required so that you don't have to eat as often, then it's possible to suggest it getting changed

Devs have been doing changes like these recently so it's entirely possible it will happen

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit
  • Like 1

its highly inappropriate  to put  words into devs mouths or out of it here, we are community you seems to be one of them  ... Ostentatio

Edited by Sila

Howdy, my first post here (well close to it anyways).

I hate hate hate trying to tell someone how to run a game, since 'running games' is not my thing, but...

Ok I just recently went thru the (for me) arduous task of selecting a meditation path. Love was my choice. So then an old timer/friend crafted me a meditation rug, and I was off. MEDITATE, MEDITATE, MEDITATE.. hit lvl 20, now MEDIATED (wait half hour) MEDITATE (wait half hour) .. etc..

So now, you completely destroyed one of the two good things about my chosen path. Why? Now I got to change paths, I guess. It had been down to knowledge path or love. I chose Love - now you destroyed it. I can not, for the life of me, understand why you would do this *shakes his head in frustration*.

Also, destroying any usefulness for rares, I don't understand that. Rares used to sell for 10c, now u got them destroyed. I'm sorry to say, but this sort of random 'crazy' is why I left my last online game.

Please don't turn Wurm crazy. Please. Its an ok game. Is fun. You do not got to 'crazy' update it to insanity. Ok? I'm sure you guys have a reason for doing stuff...but surely, surely you can obviously see that we (the players) can not see your reason, right? It seems completely dumb from my end. Most rares usually would sit and decay to nothing in my raft. Every once in a while I'd find someone to pay 10c for one. Now.. I can not understand this at all. Sorry. It's crazy. Appears crazy update to me from my end.

Look, if I do decide to change paths to knowledge.. will you then revamp that path to destruction? Do you see how 'crazy' this seems from my end. From the player's end? I'm trying to play a game I like to play, ... and suddenly everything shifts around and settles down, new rules. Suddenly things are not like they were. Suddenly, all the time/effort I put into my game/life is wasted. Suddenly I'm not sure if even switching meditation paths will be able to fix more impending 'crazy' updates.

Maybe it's not 'crazy'. I can not tell from my end. Seems crazy to me.

Why why why.. and with no explanation at all. Nothing. Sorry this so negative.

I do hope you get the players you need to keep Wurm going, and I hope 'crazy' updates don't destroy this game.

• Like 2

Suddenly, all the time/effort I put into my game/life is wasted

TeeeBOMB you will get refound for premium time i would says

but hey, do someone even see this nice new video of glasshollow?  We working now on new kitchen!  

Edited by Sila