Sign in to follow this  
Dreasis

Nameable Roads

I feel like it would be a lot easier to find one's way around, and not get lost, if we had the option to name roads. No one really wants to put up multiple signs at every crossroads and the ability to simply name a road would be so helpful. "Oh your in the Howl and need to get to Freedom market? Just head north." Sure something like that works but a newbie, myself included, can get lost if they have to go somewhere like the Grand Steppe for the first time or need to find a specific deed somewhere without major landmarks nearby. And it's not like I'm advocating for naming every road tile, just the first/last tile that connects to a crossroad, that way players aren't left wandering around for hours, always close to their destination, but unable to actually figure out which of the 20+ dead end roads to take... Am I the only one that is always getting lost unless I already know every twist and turn to take? Some people might say it's part of the fun of exploring, but getting lost and exploring are two different things. I've died multiple times because I've gotten turned around or confused about which road to take to get home.

Just a thought I felt like sharing is all, feel free to agree or disagree though. :P

• Like 1

I like the idea of naming roads, this should allow any level of naming from a single tile at the crossroad to the entire road, depending on the determination of the players.

Item: Road Plaque
0.5 kg iron, made with blacksmithing.

Use Road Plaque on a paved tile to name it, the rename screen pops to to do this.
"Cobblestone (Northern Lake Highway)"
If the highway is a protected one on PvE servers, the name could be this.
"Protected Cobblestone (Northern Lake Highway)"
To allow settlers to easily differentiate between public works and detritus from dead deeds. GM only power obviously.

The plaque and name is destroyed when the tile is.

• Like 1

This function exists within the game.  People are allowed to plant signs.  The catch is people have to use the roads and maintain the signs.  People move and the signs rot away.  Or the plant it once and never look twice at it.

what would be nicer is if the Dev's designed a system that when you make a path and make curb on either side, it not only marks that as a "road" for protection but would start to integrate those roads and "highways" onto the player map.

10 years and the in game map hasn't changed once it seems.

maybe at first only 3 wide roads with curbs on opposing sides. Show up; and only say 250 tiles in changes per week.  As the royal cartography team slowly catalogs the new roads?  Maybe only roads that connect somehow to starter cities will be added as the cartography team needs to be able to travel the road to log it?

• Like 1

On 9/2/2016 at 3:40 PM, Darmalus said:

Item: Road Plaque
0.5 kg iron, made with blacksmithing.

Use Road Plaque on a paved tile to name it, the rename screen pops to to do this.
"Cobblestone (Northern Lake Highway)"
If the highway is a protected one on PvE servers, the name could be this.
"Protected Cobblestone (Northern Lake Highway)"
To allow settlers to easily differentiate between public works and detritus from dead deeds. GM only power obviously.

The plaque and name is destroyed when the tile is.

I really like this idea, I would personally suggest that if something like this was put in place that a lvl requirement of 10 Digging be required to use the plaque, this would keep new players from naming random paths they create only to never log on again, no one wants clutter. I'd also make it so that only the person that named the road could remove the plaque, not including devs or GMs, as they should be able to change, alter, or remove named roads as they see fit.

@Tallios The issue with signs is that they have to be kept up and repaired, they would be more viable if they had a similar mechanic to roads where they won't start to decay till a certain number of days with no traffic. Either that or we had some way to make permanent signs that didn't decay. That way we could put up a sign or a set of signs that told passerbyers which road led where, but no one had to come check up on every few weeks to repair them, cause no one wants to travel an entire server repairing and checking sign posts along the roads.

13 minutes ago, Dreasis said:

@Tallios The issue with signs is that they have to be kept up and repaired, they would be more viable if they had a similar mechanic to roads where they won't start to decay till a certain number of days with no traffic. Either that or we had some way to make permanent signs that didn't decay. That way we could put up a sign or a set of signs that told passerbyers which road led where, but no one had to come check up on every few weeks to repair them, cause no one wants to travel an entire server repairing and checking sign posts along the roads.

I've asked in other suggestions for a "traffic sign" even signs that are tied to a deed.  I'm not sure how much traction we could get for an actual edit of game mechanics for this.

While adjustment (and ideally removing) to the highway rules is always on the backburner, this doesn't really accomplish much.

Roads are player made, player maintained, and player named. If you'd like to look at naming roads, use signs (they last astonishingly long) and speak with community map makers, they may be willing to add an extra layer naming important roads to help new players.