Sign in to follow this  
Nadroj

Rare chances...Did Rolf slip on the zero key?

More oil into fire!

Wouldn't it be just easier to play the game and assume that "fantastic is a myth", and only acknowledge rare and supreme? Already been said, it's practically impossible, so why not simply roll with it and not even hope to get one. Ever. :)

And when you do, never tell anyone about it because the next day pickpocketing will be introduced in Freedom.

3 hours ago, Shmeric said:

More oil into fire!

Wouldn't it be just easier to play the game and assume that "fantastic is a myth", and only acknowledge rare and supreme? Already been said, it's practically impossible, so why not simply roll with it and not even hope to get one. Ever. :)

And when you do, never tell anyone about it because the next day pickpocketing will be introduced in Freedom.

Because it's one of the personal goals for many people...

yup thats whats wrong with it the most imo, the personal goal part. But it's supposedly going to change so wait up

I have received a few supreme coins, which seem to be the most common item for me along these lines. Also created a supreme sandstone brick the other week. Just dropped on my deed as I can't sac any items in WO (oh ye faithless one).

One server in WU I play on we can just create Fantastic bones from the rare ones with a spell. So have come to find out that Fantastic items are not all that special (hype) as far as benefits that they provide over regular items.

=Ayes=

The actual differences between normal/rare/supreme/fantastic are really nothing insane.

For enchant power loss it goes like this

1/(raritymodifier * enchant power * 30) - check is done once per 5 seconds of action

Rarity modifiers go Normal = 1, Rare = 5, Supreme = 10, Fantastic = 15

Rares repair twice as fast, supremes its 3x and fantastic is 4x
When being repaired similar is true rare is 1/2 QL loss, 1/3 for supreme and 1/4 for fantastic.

Can't find my notes on how much it affects harvesting items like pickaxes or creation tools.....it's not the most ridiculous thing ever though, pretty linear decent improvements. Nothing that justifies 1/10000 chance.

Obviously this doesn't take into account the items that have specific added effects from rarity but yeah...that's it....the huge difference that you get a 1/10000 chance for.

Edited by Nadroj

Gathering tools it adds to the minimum ql (1.5-4.5 i think) and max ql (1-3, decreases as ql goes up, around 0.6-1.8 at 90 ql)

For certain weapons the jump from rare to supreme is quite big, rarity gives 1/3/5% dmg and 10/30/50% increased critical strike chance so for example a scythe crit chance would be N 1.6%/R 1.76%/S 2.08%/F 2.4% or a bow a fantastic willow having -20 difficulty makes long range headshots quite a bit easier. the ql/enchant loss is worth more than the actual rare bonuses for pretty much all the items

Ya they're certainly worthwhile having and nice bonuses. For some things like what you've mentioned and armour, just....it's not in line with 1/10000 chance at all.

Honestly I have never understood why rares cost as much as they do. They are quite common, and the added benefit is almost never anywhere even near worth the price-tag. If rares made more of a difference when used I could understand the math behind difficulty of creation, especially for fantastics. But the reality is that you would probably forget you were even using a fantastic item until you looked at the text, or doing something very specific... (Mining with a 100 mining character for ex.)

I also have to agree with Aeryck back on Pg 2, Fantastics should be made slightly more common... not much. But Rares are way too common. I'd like to see the rare chances look something closer to;

Rare: 1/16

Supreme: 1/1024

Fantastic: 1/8192

Edited by whereami

Simple answer is players inflated the value and spread the belief that rares are better than they are in most respects so they could sell them for decent prices. Didn't help that when rares came about we didn't have the access to the WU code that we do now. Misinformation was easier to spread so the value could easily be beefed up.

• Like 1

Sometimes the shine factor is more than enough to make people pay more. Look at cosmetic rares such as barrels, bsbs and chests. They do nothing, yet a rare chest costs anywhere from 2-3 silver vs a non rare one, you'll be lucky if you can sell it for 10c. Its what? a 2000% price inflation? Pricing doesn't always follow logic. The value of an item is based on what people are willing to pay for. Like a Rolex watch. It does exactly the same thing as a Casio, but costs much more.

Always comes down to what people are willing to pay at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, whereami said:

Honestly I have never understood why rares cost as much as they do. They are quite common, and the added benefit is almost never anywhere even near worth the price-tag. If rares made more of a difference when used I could understand the math behind difficulty of creation, especially for fantastics. But the reality is that you would probably forget you were even using a fantastic item until you looked at the text, or doing something very specific... (Mining with a 100 mining character for ex.)

Rares are common but it if you play the game for enjoyment then rares often dont turn out to be what you want. If you sit down grinding on useful tools every other day for 5 hours then yeah rares will be more common. from my shop and lighting up my own deed, i made 5 or 6 rare lamps and 1 supreme lamp. Making rares harder to get would just make things annoying for the people trying to enjoy themselves.

Also rares, at least in my opinion, were easily worth how much they were until rifts came out with the 10% more ql boost. 100ql items from mining used to require 99mining and rare, 98mining and supreme, or some imbue. But now people with huge soul stats and prospect skill can just pump out a rune to make 100ql ores out of a regular pickaxe and 91 mining (little less actually). Same goes for woodcutting and digging. A good amount of rarity items seemed totally legit until runes came in and made tools better, mailboxes bigger, and carts faster.

Now that runes are out I just want rares to have a huge boost on durability, replace the ugly glow with a new look for the item entirely (unless its like a rare lingonberry, only something worth showing), and the same rarity transfer method when crafting/improving. THEN i would buy rare equipment and maybe even furniture.

• Like 2

I was making some door locks the other day in WU and decided to make my small anvil into a Fantastic one with a spare Fantastic bone. The ore used was 63 QL and after this I noticed that some locks turned out at 66 QL. Seems then that rarity levels will produce 1 QL higher per level. I don't really do any experiments as to their effects in WU but this was just an apparent change that I noticed after making the anvil to Fantastic, basically just because why not...

=Ayes=

He was watching DBZ when he coded the fantastic chances.