Sign in to follow this  
Nadroj

Rare chances...Did Rolf slip on the zero key?

Just now, Nadroj said:

Why? Do you believe they're as powerful as they are rare (they're not)

Do you see the idea of something being almost impossible to achieve as just....cool for cools sake? Seems kinda pointless to have them in the game at all doesn't it? Unless fantastic items we're like 50x better than normal ones. But they're really really not. How good they are is pretty well in a nice line with how normal > rare > supreme goes. Another reason why the jump in difficulty to create them doesn't make sense. It all just doesn't scale right.

It's like the value of the items goes 1 2 5 10. While the difficulty to create them goes 1 2 5 10,000

I'm aware of all that

It's pretty much as you described, cool for cools sake

I don't care if the item is near identical to other items etc, I just really enjoy the fact that really rare items can exist in the game

Just now, Worksock said:

I'm aware of all that

It's pretty much as you described, cool for cools sake

I don't care if the item is near identical to other items etc, I just really enjoy the fact that really rare items can exist in the game

That's just......wouldn't it be cool if maybe more than 2 of them existed AT ALL....i've only ever once heard in all these years of one singular "useful" item that was fantastic. Every other (and they've been bloody few and far between) has been something like a rock shard.

I get the idea of "super rare thing is cool" but what's the point if a) its so incredibly super rare that noone ever ever experiences it and b ) when that does happen it's a worthless thing that only serves as a joke to be sold on the forum.

• Like 1

Just now, Nadroj said:

That's just......wouldn't it be cool if maybe more than 2 of them existed AT ALL....i've only ever once heard in all these years of one singular "useful" item that was fantastic. Every other (and they've been bloody few and far between) has been something like a rock shard.

I get the idea of "super rare thing is cool" but what's the point if a) its so incredibly super rare that noone ever ever experiences it and b ) when that does happen it's a worthless thing that only serves as a joke to be sold on the forum.

The point is exactly what you said m8

It's an incredibly super rare thing that only a very small minority will experience

I agree with the second part, i'd rather it happen to something that is more permanent (weapon/tool/armor/vehicle/decoration) etc

• Like 1

does anyone even have an item that is fantastic and not a decoration or component, something usable like a weapon, armor or tool?

Edited by JakeRivers

Just now, Worksock said:

The point is exactly what you said m8

It's an incredibly super rare thing that only a very small minority will experience

I agree with the second part, i'd rather it happen to something that is more permanent (weapon/tool/armor/vehicle/decoration) etc

So while i disagree with the idea that 90-99% of the games playerbase should never experience a fantastic item. Which i 100% disagree with but i can see neither of us will budge the other on.

Can we at least agree that under the current system...the only way to ever actually see USEFUL items actually be fantastic is if this was, as i see it, balanced better to be more likely to happen.

Keep in mind the current system is

1/3600 chance per server tick (per second) to get a rare roll

DONT FAIL THE IMP

Now you have 1/9700 chance to succeed in making a fantastic. Like...really let the 9700 sink in there because THATS NUTS. 0.0103092784 percent to be exact. After achieving the previous bits.

Now before the "premium bonus" this was actually always 1/10000

So can we maybe agree that whether either of us is right about how rare they should be...that maybe a mistake was made here considering the others are at their most difficult....1/25.

I feel like Rolf meant to make it 1/1000 and just....woops.

Fantastic items repair twice as quick as rare and hold QL twice as well as rare. They hold enchant 3x better than rare and yet they THAT much harder to make? It just...the maths doesn't add up in my mind lol.

Devs advocate here, but cmon guys they're fantastic they are meant to be a fantasy not reality :P Changing the numbers now means they can just change whatever and really crosses a line.

7 minutes ago, Kurson said:

Devs advocate here, but cmon guys they're fantastic they are meant to be a fantasy not reality :P Changing the numbers now means they can just change whatever and really crosses a line.

1/1000 would still be crazy rare and barely seen but at least would sound possible.

Considering 1/25 is Supreme.

Edited by Nadroj

If i was gonna touch this in any way as a dev, i would add a rarity tier between supreme and fantastic, so that the current fantastics don't lose value. Because damn if i had a fantastic item right now and they would make it 10x easier to get...... some empathy pls

3 minutes ago, Kurson said:

If i was gonna touch this in any way as a dev, i would add a rarity tier between supreme and fantastic, so that the current fantastics don't lose value. Because damn if i had a fantastic item right now and they would make it 10x easier to get...... some empathy pls

What current fantastics aren't bulk items? I know of one, a fantastic longbow exists somewhere. Also do they need to maintain their current value? Go hit the market forums and look up how much fantastics sell for....players put incredibly ridiculous (honestly hilarious) value on the few that exist, which are usually dirt/rockshard or like...a brick. I'd argue that there's no harm in cutting out the silliness with those sales considering how good/useful they actually are.

Edited by Nadroj

Please fix fantastic's developers! The game isn't fun anymore from a shiny collector's point of view. :( I've had a supreme toolset for years now! I want a fantastic toolset! Just make a new tier of Valrei-touched rarity. Please and thank you!

2 minutes ago, Snowtech said:

keep trying, they do exist  :)

Noone was saying they don't...

Just telling people to "keep trying" at something they can't control which is a 0.0103092784% chance on a successful roll that happens roughly once an hour with constant efficient work and no failed creation/imp on that roll seems unfair to me.

2 minutes ago, Arium said:

@Nadrojyeah, they certainly do exist. keep trying.

EZRNv22.png

That's a good example, firstly because its a 1/1000 chance instead of 1/10,000

Also because retrograde spawned that for you.

These recipes are a glorious example of our current dev team seemingly agreeing with my point because they made the fantastic recipes 1/1000 chance not 1/10000 like Rolf did.

Edited by Nadroj

17 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Just telling people to "keep trying" at something they can't control which is a 0.0103092784% chance on a successful roll that happens roughly once an hour with constant efficient work and no failed creation/imp on that roll seems unfair to me.

Who tells you to keep trying, personal goals? I think those are in for a change based on the other thread.

Just now, Kurson said:

Who tells you to keep trying, personal goals? I think those are in for a change based on the other thread.

Snowtech said to keep trying.

well, i thought that the smiley showed that i didn't mean it literally.

Edited by Snowtech

Oh yea :D well in any case i just don't think making a fantastic is a ....realistic.... goal. Sure you can dream about it or whatever but don't expect it. It's in the name!

1 minute ago, Snowtech said:

well, i though that the smiley showed that i didn't mean it literally.

Oh ya i know, i just.... some of the arguments made so far have been literally that silly too xD

Just now, Kurson said:

Oh yea :D well in any case i just don't think making a fantastic is a ....realistic.... goal. Sure you can dream about it or whatever but don't expect it. It's in the name!

I agree! Lets make it realistic! How is "fantastic" a name that means "unrealistic" btw?

Edited by Nadroj

keep-calm-it-s-working-as-intended.png

This is more to drive Nadroj insane. There is no official response here. Rarity tweaks are above my pay grade.

• Like 8

I hate you so much man....so much....

@VyolettePlease do something pointlessly cruel to him.

1a :  based on fantasy (see 1fantasy 3) :  not real

webster first one, i'm not native english and i always thought thats what fantastic literally means.

Just now, Kurson said:

1a :  based on fantasy (see 1fantasy 3) :  not real

webster first one, i'm not native english and i always thought thats what fantastic literally means.

I've never personally known Fantastic to mean the same as fantasy...but i am now looking it up...

• Like 1

Wurm itself is rather like a fantasy world, isn't it? Oh wait, the 'real world' is the fantasy and Wurm is real ;) 

*edit* either way, it's plain silly to equate 'fantasy' with 'fantastic' The chances to make a fantastic item that has any use is plain stupid.  I have a fantastic copper coin I foraged on the first day rare coins were added and named it "first and only fantastic" because it's so stupidly hard to get one.

Edited by Lisabet
  • Like 1

Fantastic items being way less likely to be seen, like literally legendary - i like that.

However in my opinion the usefullness of them should be fitting as well.