Sign in to follow this  
Nadroj

Rare chances...Did Rolf slip on the zero key?

Saw a fantastic willow long bow for sale but thats the best fantastic I've seen.

imped a supreme large shield and a leather barding once tho

• Like 1

I think, when we look game as whole, the rare items are nowadays quite common. Supreme items are rare and fantastic items extremely rare. There is one thing, what makes things complicated, how to adjust it, where to focus.

If we look at the rare items, I would say, that chance to get a rare from single player perspective, is at the right spot. But when we look at whole game and how the rares have flooded the server, it is too easy to get the rare. That is with other things too, should the items be available to every single player to get, or the number should be controlled in whole game.

A perfect example of how a complaint that something isn't good enough leads to a discussion of how to nerf it more.

14 minutes ago, zigozag said:

A perfect example of how a complaint that something isn't good enough leads to a discussion of how to nerf it more.

It's almost like some people don't realize that rare items are immortal, players have every reason to preserve them and have been accumulating for 10 years (or whenever rares were added).

Nerfing rare creation only punishes new players.

There are ways to address that (without punishing old or new players) but that would be for the suggestion forum.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 4

Just becouse something excist doesn't mean it should be easily available.

I like the fact there is items that are still very hard to get.

• Like 1

Not sure if this plays into the imp'n rare percentage chance, but with WS and BS if you get a rare roll while tempering, it's an automatic failure to turn the item rare+ . So have to figure it's 20% tougher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zekezor said:

Just becouse something excist doesn't mean it should be easily available.

I like the fact there is items that are still very hard to get.

Would be nice for rarity to have more control than just 100% RNG.

Right now, you can be the best weapon smith in game and never see a fantastic in 5 years...some newb can craft 1 item and get a fantastic.

I had suggested some sort of 'combine rares to make a supreme then supremes to make a fantastic' system where you could 'earn' a fantastic over a long period of time and remove some of the RNG.

As someone else said, from a solo perspective, rare rates are about right. The only way to have some sort of chance at making your own supremes/fantastics would be to just sit and spam create tools and hope you're on the right side of RNG.

Items lasting forever is another problem altogether though and makes the problem worse.

If only items had a limited number of repairs/imps possible before being made useless or some sort of 'shatter' chance for items.

Edited by Outlaw

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Would be nice for rarity to have more control than just 100% RNG.

Right now, you can be the best weapon smith in game and never see a fantastic in 5 years...some newb can craft 1 item and get a fantastic.

I had suggested some sort of 'combine rares to make a supreme then supremes to make a fantastic' system where you could 'earn' a fantastic over a long period of time and remove some of the RNG.

As someone else said, from a solo perspective, rare rates are about right. The only way to have some sort of chance at making your own supremes/fantastics would be to just sit and spam create tools and hope you're on the right side of RNG.

Items lasting forever is another problem altogether though and makes the problem worse.

If only items had a limited number of repairs/imps possible before being made useless or some sort of 'shatter' chance for items.

I dislike shatter systems, arbitrary punishment is not good gameplay. I would, however, be more inclined toward a "sacrifice" system if it was suitably balanced and incentivized. Sacrifice rares to get supremes, supremes to get fantastics, and fantastics to get permanent character buffs? Balance would be key.

A non-random rare creation idea I had was astrology. When your stars align you can make a specific rare finished item (not nails or dirt, but a sword, needle, loom, etc.)
"You look up at the sky, and feel your stars align. You feel that if you made a <item> right now it would be very special." 

Edited by Darmalus

5 hours ago, Gumbo said:

Not sure if this plays into the imp'n rare percentage chance, but with WS and BS if you get a rare roll while tempering, it's an automatic failure to turn the item rare+ . So have to figure it's 20% tougher.

Used to be that it turned the water rare (as the item being imped was considered the tool)

now it works correctly, I've turned an item rrare tempering

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mclovin said:

Saw a fantastic willow long bow for sale but thats the best fantastic I've seen.

imped a supreme large shield and a leather barding once tho

Ha yeah I remember how you reacted making that barding go supreme. 

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Used to be that it turned the water rare (as the item being imped was considered the tool)

now it works correctly, I've turned an item rrare tempering

Good to know if true. I'll believe it when I see it.

Edit: pls re-imburse me 17 rare items as compensation for it not working all these years  :D

Edited by Gumbo
to make a funny
  • Like 1

Haha rare water? i never heard about that....curse my never smithing.

Having had 9 rare rolls on a supreme forge today and has renewed my hatred for how this system works >.< Wish there was some kinda "it's a bit easier if the item is rare to increase the rarity" or something. Hell half for supreme to fantastic would still be 1/4350 xD

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 10:44 AM, Eyesgood said:

I will just throw this out there....  Creating the concept of rares has isolated the market for most non-bulk items to players who are focused on pure grind for hours on end to get rares because mostly only rare items sell - and for what gain to the buyer or seller?  The benefit to the buyer is minuscule compared to non-rare items and the price paid hardly outweighs the tons of effort the seller put into producing it.  Basically, whoever grinds the most sells the most.  That's not how an economy should be in an MMO.  Everyone ought to be able to craft what they want and be able to sell it for a profit.  But this is just one problem with the Wurm economy model - everyone CAN pretty much craft ANYTHING they want, so no economy at all except for these time-sink items known as rares and a few naturally rare armors and trinkets.  The longer the "old" player-base drags on, the more acute this problem becomes.

No doubt the implementation of the "rare" item creation system has influenced the sale of formerly desirable items which are now un-rare. The thing of it is the whole thing is based upon the hype of rare/supreme/fantastic items being of much significance. This actually works to the advantage of those who don't buy into this concept by purchasing the un-rares for less than these inflated "rares".

All great for the sellers of course who wish to perpetuate the great significance and advantages of rare/supreme/fantastic items. They are the heart of this matter really, which is why if I ever by off chance come across or create any of these items I will swiftly sell them off to others and put the proceeds to what I think is of better use in-game. Note however, I will never try to convince others that they are worth the price paid.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Angry at me personal goal to make a fantastic i searched up this old thread and was saddened further when i realised i never did get an answer as to why in the heck fantastic is near enough to a 1/10000 chance o.o

Feel my grumpy thread necroing. That progression scale just screams "i was gonna make it 1/100 but then woops". Maybe he wanted 1/1000...maybe...but 10,000!?

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 2

they need to increase it, well lower the rarity for it i mean

fantastic is impossible, its about the same odds as winning the lottery

Edited by Niki

I gave up the expectations of getting rares while imping. I don't even see a roll anymore (be it fails even), with 6 sec timers and increased deed bonus. Done 6-7 hours of shoe imps for days, no drums at all.

That is my luck nowadays. So maybe by personal rng waits me to get desperate and enjoy a fantastic........ meal?

3 minutes ago, Jaz said:

I gave up the expectations of getting rares while imping. I don't even see a roll anymore (be it fails even), with 6 sec timers and increased deed bonus. Done 6-7 hours of shoe imps for days, no drums at all.

That is my luck nowadays. So maybe by personal rng waits me to get desperate and enjoy a fantastic........ meal?

i havent gotten a supreme meal/cooked food since the update, is it even possible? if it is supposed to be possible i say it is certainly bugged unless someone can prove me wrong here.

my sample size was cooking 120 to 140k breakfasts to get from 61 to 70 ml.

Edited by Arium

Rares and Supremes are fine imo, don't want the game flooded with every damn tool always being rare. But fantastic is just ridiculously impossible to do.

5 minutes ago, Arium said:

i havent gotten a supreme meal/cooked food since the update, is it even possible? if it is supposed to be possible i say it is certainly bugged unless someone can prove me wrong here.

my sample size was cooking 120 to 140k breakfasts to get from 61 to 70 ml.

I think rare food is not possible - it was why I brought it up as my example :P

could just remove the fantastic goal

I quite enjoy the fact that fantastic items are incredibly rare

8 minutes ago, Jaz said:

I think rare food is not possible - it was why I brought it up as my example :P

rare foods are possible, i have gotten rare meals, breakfasts and other stuff before. i have just yet to see a supreme or fantastic food tho.

3 minutes ago, Arium said:

. i have just yet to see a supreme or fantastic food tho.

I made a supreme marlin meal out of like 10k meals with couple rares. It was 0.35kg and did not give a skill tick when saced

6 minutes ago, Worksock said:

could just remove the fantastic goal

I quite enjoy the fact that fantastic items are incredibly rare

Why? Do you believe they're as powerful as they are rare (they're not)

Do you see the idea of something being almost impossible to achieve as just....cool for cools sake? Seems kinda pointless to have them in the game at all doesn't it? Unless fantastic items we're like 50x better than normal ones. But they're really really not. How good they are is pretty well in a nice line with how normal > rare > supreme goes. Another reason why the jump in difficulty to create them doesn't make sense. It all just doesn't scale right.

It's like the value of the items goes 1 2 5 10. While the difficulty to create them goes 1 2 5 10,000

i don't know how meals are calculated for rare/supreme but i'd imagine it's the fastest way to make a fantastic item for the goal (given bunch of resources/money). idk if it would count tho