Sign in to follow this  
KillerSpike

Please lessen the QL randomness of un-imp-able Items in the Game

It is one of the things that get my goat in Wurm is the Randomness of the creation quality of non-imp-able Items. 

I will try and explain my point by using Sac items for priests.

I use cordage ropes as favor for my vyn and it is a pain to make.

Using a 90QL rare rope tool with 99.85QL wemp and 80 skill the randomness of the QL of ropes produced is just ridiculous.

Even making yoyo's is a pain. With 2 skills to master to get good QL materials and still the output QL is way to random.

I have a nahjo priest as well and it is such a pleasure to cast with him. The effort to farm high QL sac-ables pays off  of because  

you KNOW what quality Wemp (yes I use wemp because I can use it for both priests) I will get and how much favor I will get out of it.

I know I will most likely get the complain comments that the sac-ables for Nahjo is an abomination and all that. That is another argument

that has been around for a long time. My point really is the fact that I have put in the effort in to be a master farmer and I know what my results

is going to be.

With most of the other sac-ables it is just to random. (maybe locks is not that bad as I have not tried them yet)  for the others

something needs to be done to reduce the random and low QL of items created. eg. With the above mentioned mats & skill I should be able to create

an average rope QL of say 75+. if not better. If someone has made the effort to grind the skill let his.her reap the benefits

The same goes for things like making leather. If a Master Tanner makes leather with high QL Lye and High QL Hides he should get 80%+ High QL leathers.

Many more examples can be mentioned : Making Steel, NS/alchemy / Butchering , the list goes on. 

TLDR - Please lessen the QL randomness of un-imp-able Items in the Game.If someone has made the effort to grind the skill let his/her reap the benefits

• Like 3

+1 for all the skills like ropemaking, metalurgy, locksmithing, toy making, yadda yadda as explained above. If you are using high QL tools with high QL skill, you don't want to fail for more skill, you want the QL.

+1

This is a huge pain in the ass most people who play wurm go through.  Grind a skill up in the hopes of better QL products, the return on invested time is negligable.

A thick and fat +1 from me as well.

Every time a dev removes a random dice roll is a good day in Wurm. :)

• Like 1

+1 - RNG is the WORST thing in Wurm and needs to be reduced or modified as explained in the OP.

Harvesting... Coalmaking...

Edited by zigozag

Another issue is torches.  which are technically a sac-able item for vynora.   Moss, Tar, and a shaft.  I've used 80+ quality moss, 55 ql shaft, and 80+ ql tar, I mean in theory with a 40 skill in fire starting I should make something on the order of 40ql with ease.    

Alas no, I get 10, 15, 22 ql products.     Why is this so far off?  All my materials are in comparison to my skill first rate.

I would propose that if my stamina wasn't full that there would be more potential for QL variance.  But this is all done with rested actions, so Dev's why the completely and total randoms?

<side note>  this also doesn't even begin to go into the fact that torches are a ###### light source in the first place that last a pathetic amount of time for the mats used to make them.  

Lantern is 2 kilo's of iron and tar or oil, burns hours.    

Torch takes shaft (easy), Tar (moderately easy), Moss (totally hit or miss).   burns for 2 mins per QL.   

i think we need to totally change how products of actions are done.. look at wood used to be that a failure was at the highest ql you could achieve with no sklill gain it could be reversed where you gain alot of skill by completing something perfectly and the less ql by means of less skill and ql of used materials would gain you less skill for the action..i really thi wurm has it backwards and the rng should be the other way maybe a +or- 5 points of ql per kskill level that would seem more reasonable for ql and maybe the ql of your lowest used resource..so +1 on change for the creation ql...

41 minutes ago, Psalamon said:

i think we need to totally change how products of actions are done.. look at wood used to be that a failure was at the highest ql you could achieve with no sklill gain it could be reversed where you gain alot of skill by completing something perfectly and the less ql by means of less skill and ql of used materials would gain you less skill for the action..i really thi wurm has it backwards and the rng should be the other way maybe a +or- 5 points of ql per kskill level that would seem more reasonable for ql and maybe the ql of your lowest used resource..so +1 on change for the creation ql...

Well one failure of the crafting system is taking into account the quality of parts used as compared to the total production.  Case and point, Ship building.  If I start a Knarr for instance which requires 2000-ish parts.   The system takes my initial parts (2 keels) puts them together and hacks them down based on how badly my skill allows them to be put together and then puts the Knarr quality in relation to to total completion.  So I start with a 1.~~ something quality unfinished knarr.  

A better way to do it would be to take the pieces I have, put them together and average them on the total weight and determine the quality shift. (+ or - my skill).   So by combining 2 50ql keels.  I should get something around a 50ql unfinished Knarr.  This is important because the quality of the unfinished and the part added will ultimately determine time for adding pieces and success rate.

If I could, I would also like to see the ability to actually improve the unfinished product.  Why can't I take a moment and improve the work I've already done, before adding more?