Sign in to follow this  
Ausimus

[Released] Disable Tree Collisions

Excellent work Ausimus! Hopefully more public servers will enable this on their own.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ayes said:

Excellent work Ausimus! Hopefully more public servers will enable this on their own.

=Ayes=

Its a client side mod, server owners need to do nothing, and can not stop u from using, combine with the clientendertweeks and u will be invisible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigsteve said:

Its a client side mod, server owners need to do nothing, and can not stop u from using, combine with the clientendertweeks and u will be invisible.

I was going to reply to this as well.. If you think modding cheats is something to force CC to fix exploits in PVP good luck with that..   This and all the other client side exploit / anti game mechanics hacks which give select players an advantage over another player is why I'll never focus on PVP on our server..

Also yes..   Tree collision is NOT something done on the server side.. There is nothing an admin can do can turn this feature on or off.  It was forced on us with a previous patch.   The only option to make it fair for an entire server population is write a mod for the server modloader that pushes it out as a client mod..  *sigh*

3 hours ago, bigsteve said:

What's clientendertweeks? (I've been away for a bit and obviously a bit behind the times)

3 hours ago, razoreqx said:

I was going to reply to this as well.. If you think modding cheats is something to force CC to fix exploits in PVP good luck with that..   This and all the other client side exploit / anti game mechanics hacks which give select players an advantage over another player is why I'll never focus on PVP on our server..

Also yes..   Tree collision is NOT something done on the server side.. There is nothing an admin can do can turn this feature on or off.  It was forced on us with a previous patch.   The only option to make it fair for an entire server population is write a mod for the server modloader that pushes it out as a client mod..  *sigh*

Yea, I didn't make/release it to get exploits fixed, but rather put everyone on a fair playing ground, if they choose to use it. I do agree this in conjunction with no trees is pretty silly, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure there is other versions of this mod out there that other people have made, but refused to share with the community giving them an unfair advantage. This mod alleviates that issue.

The ability to change a return statement to false, really isn't CodeClub's fault, but as you said some features such as tree collision were forced upon us creating a window to create mods for some people to use to there advantage.

1 hour ago, Nappy said:

What's clientendertweeks? (I've been away for a bit and obviously a bit behind the times)

It disables the rendering of trees with a console command, but there collision is still intact.

Edited by ausimus

I recall the mod now because it was present for a short time on DesolationV3.

Your reasoning matches mine btw. My main concern with mods is making sure that they don't give one group of people an unfair advantage over another if the second group doesn't have access or even awareness of the special mod. Bearmod was a great example of this.

Sorry I missed trying out Conquest. Sounds like you guys tried some really cool things on that server.

I get these mods, I don't like them but I get them. The problem I have is not so much with the modders making them, but the fact that you have no way from server side, to turn them on and off, so that you an ensure you are providing the experience you want on your server fairly to all players. I like tree collision it is an immersion thing. Heck I would like to see collision with carts, bsb's, statues etc too. Imagine pvp where you get surrounded by circled wagons and cant get out! lol that might be too far but would sure be fun, however why bother making a mod for this since someone else would just hack the mod or mod removal of the collision out. :(

What I would really like to see is more server side switches that turn things on and off for connected clients (like make tree collision a feature), then the client be anti cheat enabled to give steam bans to people who mod it. With the small size of the WU team I doubt that would ever be a reality though.

Edit: Also with the option for server owners to turn anti cheat on and off for their servers, in case they wanted to release a mod pack themselves for graphics etc.

Edited by Xyp
  • Like 1

What I really would like to know is why WO and WU have different setting on the tree collisions.

1 hour ago, Cecci said:

What I really would like to know is why WO and WU have different setting on the tree collisions.

Last i played WO had tree collisions enabled again (after they were disabled with the bridges update)... what's different at the moment?

15 hours ago, bdew said:

Last i played WO had tree collisions enabled again (after they were disabled with the bridges update)... what's different at the moment?

Tree collisions has been disabled for over a year on WO, I haven't run into a tree the entire time new elevation has been up.

Elevation had tree collisions for the first month of it's existence. I know this because I managed to run around in a circle and unexpectedly met Phropheteer outside of Rome as a result (I was BL at the time). Of course he didn't manage to kill me before the large following group of trolls did - grin.

On 8/30/2016 at 11:58 PM, Xyp said:

I get these mods, I don't like them but I get them. The problem I have is not so much with the modders making them, but the fact that you have no way from server side, to turn them on and off, so that you an ensure you are providing the experience you want on your server fairly to all players.

A little bird told me that changes to Wurm Unlimited are coming to allow server owners to better control the mods being used on their server.

2 hours ago, Sindusk said:

A little bird told me that changes to Wurm Unlimited are coming to allow server owners to better control the mods being used on their server.

Am I correct in guessing that the only way Wurm can effectively give server owners that kind of control is to limit what we can do? I just don't see how they are going to stop bytecode manipulation without blocking it altogether and forcing everyone to work through a CodeClub created API. An official API would be nice but I simply can't Wurm developers giving us something robust enough to let us do whatever we want. Heck even Minecraft's most popular modding API is made by the community, Forge, and I'm pretty sure it is done with bytecode manipulation under the hood.

6 minutes ago, joedobo said:

I just don't see how they are going to stop bytecode manipulation without blocking it altogether and forcing everyone to work through a CodeClub created API

Realistically they can't even do that. Unless they rewrite the client in C++ or something. :P

They could start obfuscating the internals while providing an API and that would scare some modders off to use it... but then again WO is obfuscated and there always were people making (illegal) client mods/hacks.

When the tree collision came back we did see them for a day or so on WO and then they were removed again but not in WU.

I like tree collision, it lets me rest while I climb mountains.

2 hours ago, bdew said:

Realistically they can't even do that. Unless they rewrite the client in C++ or something. :P

They could start obfuscating the internals while providing an API and that would scare some modders off to use it... but then again WO is obfuscated and there always were people making (illegal) client mods/hacks.

There will always be some who can't be stopped. I'm just curious if attempts to give server owners more control will end up limiting the creative freedom of mod makers.