Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #34 Map Dumps!

header.png

Header by Sirene

Hi Everyone
This week sees some more updates to PvP testing on our test servers, as well as the adamantine and glimmersteel chain armour going live! I also have a sneak peak at new map dumps!

PvP tweaks
Another wave of PvP tweaks has come to the PvP test server, with adjustments to boat speeds via passengers and quality, as well as addressing a few permissions bugs which hampered actions on enemy and friendly deeds.

Changes as at 26/08:

• Tweaked special move damage higher (2.5x higher than what it was)
  • Possible fix for village invite being blocked when inside an unrelated village.
  • Possible fix for not being able to lockpick a friendly structure in PvP servers.
  • Possible fix for catapulting friendly kingdom villages in PvP servers.
  • Possible fix for not being able to do a not-allowed action on deed with no guards present.
  • Possible fix for equip timers not acting as expected when in combat.
  • Fix stun timers not ticking down and removing as they should.
  • Removed the shooting at boats feature.
  • Changed the calculations for boat speed bonuses.
    • PvP servers will get 9/12 bonus from seats occupied, and 3/12 bonus from QL.
    • PvE servers will get 3/12 bonus from seats occupied, and 9/12 bonus from QL.
  • Increased difficulty of blocking arrows with a shield when positioned in the right angle to the attacker: re: 
    • Difficulty reduction from shield type now takes QL and damage of the shield into account.
  • Added curve modifier to wound damage reduced via Body Strength for PvP damage only
  • Removed stacking of Web Armour speed modifier and Hurting Status speed modifier. Higher of the two will now take effect.
  • Swing timer modifier from Web Armour now a multiplier of base swing timer instead of flat seconds added.
  • Web Armour debuff should now apply for a more reliable time instead

Remember to use the appropriate discussion and feedback threads!

Map dumps
We've mentioned our desire to produce more of these in a new update, and this week I have a little sneak tease!

We will be producing both flat and isotropic (the original angled) dumps for most servers, which I'm sure community map makers will be thrilled to have!

Once we organise hosting we'll release the dumps as well as possibly a complete torrent

Spoiler

GoldenValley.png

Community Content

Did you know Wurm online has it's own subreddit? This week we have a new redditor telling us of his adventures, and the lesson we all learn quickly

So, my friend and I decided we were going off to explore after gathering a decent amount of materials to design a basic shack. We go down the highway from glasshollow (after farting on everything imaginable, because emotes are fun), not really knowing where to go or what to do. Eventually we come across a bear. I looked up the bear on wurmpedia and found it to be wayyyy past what we should fight. So, I tell my friend to go ahead and try to go around it, hoping the bear won't notice. Instead, my friend thought it would be funny to try and fart on the bear. He manages to, but it put him within aggro range and the bear begins to chase. So I tell him to run his (censored) off. After a long time of running from the bear his stamina runs out and the bear is still behind him. So we turn around and fight. He gets to about 5% health when I discovered the taunt option, so I taunt the bear, get down to about 10% and the bear falls! It was awesome.

TLDR: Do not fart on bears.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wurmonline/comments/4zl02p/my_first_day_in_wurm/

That's it for this week, I hope you all have a great weekend!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 19

inb4 map makers are unhappy due to the extra work of redoing everything... bring them on!

JK Home Map dump please????

There has to be one somewhere in Rolf's collection.   Newtown needs to live again on its original map.

Long Live Small Bears.

The amount of "possible" fixes in this update makes me anxious...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lolabelle said:

There has to be one somewhere in Rolf's collection.   Newtown needs to live again on its original map.

Long Live Small Bears.

a map dump is not the same as a WU server map

1 minute ago, Emoo said:

The amount of "possible" fixes in this update makes me anxious...

That's why it's on test, turn the possibles into definites!

• Like 3

What about fix for special moves having different damage for different kingdoms. Special moves cooldown not going away so you can special move someone who you just targeted or wasnt in combat with straight from the start.

Edited by Wulfgarr

1 minute ago, Wulfgarr said:

What about fix for special moves having different damage for different kingdoms. Special moves cooldown not going away so you can special move someone who you just targeted or wasnt in combat with straight from the start.

wrong thread, discussions is in the town square

whats the reasoning behind this ? Special moves as they are need to be modified, sludge / cricket already does ridiculous amount of damage. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Egard said:

whats the reasoning behind this ? Special moves as they are need to be modified, sludge / cricket already does ridiculous amount of damage. 

pretty sure its about this, the existing changes in the test client

So they tweaked only some specials moves or all? Because some do lots of damage already and if increased it will start one shooting people. 

How does rare etc effect boats is it the same way as before with extra seating i guess

1 hour ago, Lolabelle said:

Long Live Small Bears.

I only have a 19Mb version of it, apprently imgur thinks its too big.

2cqbqdv.png

2cqbqdv.png

Edited by Mith

Can't wait to see (and use) the new flat map dumps!

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

a map dump is not the same as a WU server map

Ok thanks. I was under the impression that a map dump could be converted to a WU map with a few tools.

4 hours ago, Odynn said:

inb4 map makers are unhappy due to the extra work of redoing everything... bring them on!

Why map makers haven't switched to using an overlay yet is beyond me. If you have a stock that has changed in the past and will most likely change in the future, use an overlay! 

• Like 1

I like the flat perspective for maps. They aren't the best for communicating elevation but they are far superior for making community maps.

Although, if the map is flat it's going to be hard for folks to approximate location using landmark + map + compass. I guess we got the older 3d perspective map dumps and the low-res one in-game.

Edited by joedobo

11 minutes ago, joedobo said:

I like the flat perspective for maps. They aren't the best for communicating elevation but they are far superior for making community maps.

Although, if the map is flat it's going to be hard for folks to approximate location using landmark + map + compass. I guess we got the older 3d perspective map dumps and the low-res one in-game.

Another option is a topographical map.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keenan said:

Another option is a topographical map.

Yes please.

1 hour ago, joedobo said:

both will be available, the flat one has been desired for map makers, the elevation one will be more for navigating and perspective

6 hours ago, Egard said:

So they tweaked only some specials moves or all? Because some do lots of damage already and if increased it will start one shooting people. 

All special move damages are different. Apparently they were using the wound locations as damages, and the damages as wound locations in the past.  Some of the wound locations have fairly high ids, so it resulted in high damage ingame.  When they corrected this, it resulted in the damage the special moves dealt being very very low, but hitting the wound locations they were originally intended to. 

So in all, special moves will now be damaging the right places, but the damage they deal is much much lower than it used to be.  I haven't tested the new special moves yet since last time, as I've been tinkering with permission stuff, but if they were only modified up by 2.5x, then they will still be far inferior to regular attacks.