Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #34 Map Dumps!

TLDR: Do not fart on bears.

haha, none of the other stuff made any sense or was any value to me, but that comment was just too funny lol

I use layers in paint.net for everything, is that what you mean Keenan? Still will be quite a bit of work to convert the isometric roads to flat. Roads going straight east/west up steep mountains look diagonal in iso, all those will look straight when flat. Also since I have the original and April 2015 map dumps as options for Exodus I might have to keep both versions going since a flat original probably isn't possible. Everything else shifts slightly too, basically reworking everything, even grid coordinates.

Not a complaint at all, just saying for the Exodus map it will be a major project. I'm excited to get the new maps. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

PvE servers will get 3/12 bonus from seats occupied, and 9/12 bonus from QL.

+1

Mmm Newtown... leading OP'ed spiders into the deed Templars and players during a new map start, fun times. :D

• Like 1

What about copies of the ancient closed maps? JKH MRH??? Many people would like that.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

Fresh map dumps AND boats finally get the speed increase...Christmas has come early. hell ya! :D 

• Like 1

If I felt motivated, I would run test server... Just no time atm. Maybe soon I'll check the new pvp updates.

First day in Wurm... I found a unicorn and thought ohhh so pretty. Wait, whats this "tame" option??? Grabs some food I had foraged.... Here lil guy lets be friends.... I didn't know how weak I was and that I shouldn't try that. And didn't think to ya know, RUN AWAY. First ever Wurm death to a non aggressive creature. XD

Edited by luvable
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, jackjones said:

Map dumps!??!?  YEEEEEEHAW!!!

Your dream finally came true! lol

11 minutes ago, Aniceset said:

Your dream finally came true! lol

I gots plans.. so many plans...

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎26 at 10:14 AM, Retrograde said:

[snip, snip]

I also have a sneak peak at new map dumps!

[snip, snip]

Map dumps
We've mentioned our desire to produce more of these in a new update, and this week I have a little sneak tease!

We will be producing both flat and isotropic (the original angled) dumps for most servers, which I'm sure community map makers will be thrilled to have!

Once we organise hosting we'll release the dumps as well as possibly a complete torrent

[snip, snip]

That's it for this week, I hope you all have a great weekend!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

Gud'day Retro and the  Wurm Dev team,   Aug 27, 2016 @ 20:00 GMT

After many years of waiting, thank you, Thank you, Thank You!!!...

... for the lovely map dump of Golden Valley.

I was missing that one from my collection.

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus & Skyefox

Co-Administrators, the Albia Roads Map of Indy

Cartographers and Surveyors

... all roads lead to Home...  you're not lost, you just chosen to go the long way and you don't know it yet....

• Like 1

On 8/27/2016 at 1:14 AM, Retrograde said:

Once we organise hosting we'll release the dumps as well as possibly a complete torrent

Please do a torrent.

The maps hosted on websites that use a google maps interface are quite frustrating to use, having the physical map file is much easier, just click it and it opens instantly.

Like last time I can donate some bandwidth on a few gigabit servers, also leave it seeding on my home connection that has 100mbit upload

11 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

What about copies of the ancient closed maps? JKH MRH??? Many people would like that.

MRH: 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17532784/wurm/oldmaps/OLD-mrh2.png

JKH, old

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17532784/wurm/oldmaps/OLD-jkh2-older.png

JKH just before restart, 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17532784/wurm/oldmaps/OLD-jkh2.png

MRH best map /s

lol @ mrh dump

its like seeing cavemen drawing graffiti of explicit things and what not and noticing we never change

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nadroj said:

Now you've given me the sads....i miss you MRH.

Those mountains were beyond awesome, especially for BASE jumping. :(

Edited by Klaa

i used sklo's outline from the other post, did a bit of photo shopping to add mountain points but then brought it into world machine and hooked it up as a mask to the advanced perlin noise.

i would need alot more time and tweaking to get it closer to original cause i still dont know world machine all that well, still lots of testing and learning to do! here is a pic anyways i have about 10 different version of trying stuff

this one still needs some height corrections on mountains and better coastlines  and more of that

if anyone wants to play with world machine its free to mess about in, you just cant save any heightmaps above 512 res, but you could save the setup still and i could download it and output a full res version

still we would love a heightmap if you can coax rolf retro =P

8e6Tk3i.jpg

On 26/08/2016 at 6:14 PM, Retrograde said:

Map dumps

We've mentioned our desire to produce more of these in a new update, and this week I have a little sneak tease!

We will be producing both flat and isotropic (the original angled) dumps for most servers, which I'm sure community map makers will be thrilled to have!

Reveal hidden contents

GoldenValley.png

YayBrigade-Logo.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aum said:

i used sklo's outline from the other post, did a bit of photo shopping to add mountain points but then brought it into world machine and hooked it up as a mask to the advanced perlin noise.

i would need alot more time and tweaking to get it closer to original cause i still dont know world machine all that well, still lots of testing and learning to do! here is a pic anyways i have about 10 different version of trying stuff

this one still needs some height corrections on mountains and better coastlines  and more of that

if anyone wants to play with world machine its free to mess about in, you just cant save any heightmaps above 512 res, but you could save the setup still and i could download it and output a full res version

still we would love a heightmap if you can coax rolf retro =P

8e6Tk3i.jpg

Awesome. But the NT lake lacks on water :D 

I agree that could take a whole life to recreate this map

Body Stats are really difficult to get up when you're higher levels anyway, I don't know about this change. I've always thought of Wurm as a game where you put the time in and you will get stronger, this seems to work against that idea and gives the old accounts less to work towards...
Blue Line = Old
Red Line = New

https://postimg.org/image/tcyquaf8r/

On 27/8/2016 at 0:16 AM, Keenan said:

Why map makers haven't switched to using an overlay yet is beyond me. If you have a stock that has changed in the past and will most likely change in the future, use an overlay! 

as someone who made a several of those maps that are still in use il tell you that most people mantaining the maps barely know how to add and remove deeds with a 2 layer image it wont be me or someone like DM remaking them,but even if i take the original map file with all separate layers and it would take me 5 seconds to change one dump for another i bet the flat dumps will mean deeds need to be moved to new positions because they dont fit. so thats still work.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tpikol said:

i bet the flat dumps will mean deeds need to be moved to new positions because they dont fit. so thats still work.

dat. Flat dumps will mean everything will need some proper tweaking from roads to deeds (and imho, that would be a good thing), don't see that happening anytime soon though.

8 hours ago, Odynn said:

dat. Flat dumps will mean everything will need some proper tweaking from roads to deeds (and imho, that would be a good thing), don't see that happening anytime soon though.

You never know... ;)