Sign in to follow this  
zigozag

Diagonal bridges

Yes, this is it.

Just now, zigozag said:

I imagine this as being able to plan a (at least) 1-tile long bridge between any 2 tiles as long as distance is allowed by skill and quality of tools. The structure of the bridge will then occupy all the tiles it partially projects upon.

Reveal hidden contents

Unless it is possible to also get rid of necessity to forbid everything on tiles under bridges... 

The bridge in this case would be not planned between two flat tile borders, but rather between 2 flat tiles (or between blocks on 2x2, 3x3 flat tiles in case of 2-, 3-tile long bridges).

Why? For roadbuilding in mountains and along the coasts, for way way way more impressive deeds' and buildings' designs, for matching with diagonal roads.

If it's only 45o instead of any angle, it's fine too!

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

I would say this would be a nightmare from a programming aspect.

• Like 1

I'm not even sure such a thing would be possible with how Wurm is set up... Diagonal bridges, coming in 2025!

• Like 4

Quite possibly a pain in the ass to implement, but this would be fantastic.

Bump.

Summoning @Budda . Will he say "aight" or "impossibru" or will he ignore this? We shall see.

• Like 1

Id reall like diagonal everything.  But Im not holding my breath for it.

• Like 1

Diagonal isn't difficult from a graphics perspective, you merely cut all of the graphics in half and place them over the corners of two tiles, boom, diagonal pathway. Tile based games fix this by chopping up the graphics into segments that fit each other in pieces, taking up multiple tiles. From a programming perspective, it is much more difficult because you'd be trying to force the game engine to go against how it functions and nobody likes reprogramming those things so. It is easier just to chop up the graphics and add an additional way of handling them.

Here is an example from my 2D game of how to make a diagonal tile based graphic:

ZG2Vm6X.png

Edited by Roushi

Yes, and when I need to draw diagonals, I tilt the page a bit, so the devs just have to tilt the code a bit, around 45º, and problem solved.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rathgar said:

Yes, and when I need to draw diagonals, I tilt the page a bit, so the devs just have to tilt the code a bit, around 45º, and problem solved.

I imagine this as being able to plan a (at least) 1-tile long 1-tile wide bridge between any 2 tiles as long as distance is allowed by skill and quality of tools. The structure of the bridge will then occupy all the tiles it partially projects upon.

Spoiler

Unless it is possible to also get rid of necessity to forbid everything on tiles under bridges... 

The bridge in this case would be not planned between two flat tile borders, but rather between 2 flat tiles (or between blocks on 2x2, 3x3 flat tiles in case of 2-, 3-tile long bridges).

Why? For roadbuilding in mountains and along the coasts, for way way way more impressive deeds' and buildings' designs, for matching with diagonal roads.

If it's only 45o instead of any angle, it's fine too!

Edited by zigozag
1-tile wide, not long, of course...

For short length bridges how would it know you wanted a diagonal bridge as opposed to a 3 wide straight one?

1 hour ago, Tich said:

For short length bridges how would it know you wanted a diagonal bridge as opposed to a 3 wide straight one?

Same way it knows whether you want a flat stone bridge or an arched wood bridge? Granted, the surveying process would have to change a bit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tich said:

What Ostentatio said. I too was thinking of this as of a possible option for the player to pick.

Enough bugs with bridges as they are, I would think adding in a diagonal option would compound the problems.

I would rather see bridges in mines made possible before diagonal's, which I would hope would also bring in a feature to see tile slopes in mines.

• Like 3

On 1/4/2017 at 8:48 AM, Tich said:

Get rid of needing a second peson all together.    Planner lays down, End Bridge Post, then moves to the tile he wants to start the bridge on, Plan bridge to post, bam, diagonal bridge.

If they want a 3 lane bridge, continue to use the second person to plan it.

ISOHEX.  Seems the best way to solve a bunch of problems.  I remember when the CIV type games hit this barrier, that was the best solution - for a major version upgrade.  It would solve a lot of problems without changing the code "too" much.

1 hour ago, frozenjim said:

ISOHEX.  Seems the best way to solve a bunch of problems.  I remember when the CIV type games hit this barrier, that was the best solution - for a major version upgrade.  It would solve a lot of problems without changing the code "too" much.

that is a hell of an idea, just completely recode the entire game

keep these great suggestions coming along

• Like 1

On 11/17/2016 at 6:30 AM, Rathgar said:

Id reall like diagonal everything.  But Im not holding my breath for it.

This is the key.  Everything must go diagonal.  Turn the Wurm grid into triangles.  Planning slopes gets really fun ;)  But oh so worth it!

• Like 1