Sign in to follow this  
Skrofler

Why can't I just copy wurmplayers.db to the new server?

With minimal knowledge of database I'm trying to import player data from an old server (Old) to my new server (New).
 The main objective is to transfer skill levels of about 10-20 player characters to New.

I thought, why can't I just copy the wurmplayers.db file from Old to New? Well, why can't I?

After copying wurmplayers.sb to New I can no longer log into those old characters on New. I can still log in with fresh characters but whenever anyone from the old db tries to enter it says "the server is currently not available", which seems like a strange error to me.

EDIT: I just realised the player ID between Old and New doesn't match. Simply editing this number didn't do it though.

Can it be done?

The method needs to take less effort than any of the following methods:

1. Running Old again to make skill dumps and then import them somehow. It wasn't my server so I don't know how to be able to connect to it properly when it runs on my home computer.

2. Modifying most skill levels of around 15 player characters manually. To be honest this seems like the easiest alternative.

Also, this topic might fare better under "Questions and Confusions".

Edited by Skrofler

its the server Id that is your problem

I found Server ID in wurmlogin.db. Simply copying this value from Old to New didn't resolve the issue.

Any more leads?

Xyp is right accordig  the the data base those characters are on another server,

There will also be another issue as that datadase will have links to the othe datadases of the old server.

They is somewhere on here a program that exports character data from one DB to another DB.

• Like 1

I found two such programs.

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/133161-wusi-wurm-unlimited-skills-import/

This one relies on existing skill dumps, which I can't produce at the moment since I have the Old server data but currently can't run it from home.

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/134213-server-windows-app-for-transferring-character-skills-between-databases/

This one just doesn't work.

Edited by Skrofler

If this server is hosted by a company you should have a settings.sql file that is where you need to change your info using a text editor. Here in this file you can change info for the old server to the new server so your sql files from your old server work on the new server.

Check with the new company if you don't know how to do this on there site. They should have this settings.sql file.

See when you started a new server your old server had sql files had a different server id and a different ip address. the server id needs to be changed to your old server id from the old server  in this settings.sql file then it will pick up on the old sql files but once you do this the new characters being made will not work.

When you running the server on your machine you can change this setting on your end in the config section but when run by a company they have there own settings.sql file you will change it on normally it is under a file called Configuration file you will need to use a text editor to altar it they should have a built in editor for you. Least most do any ways all ones I've used or seen have built in text editors for doing this.

Edited by Arkonick
  • Like 1

This file can't be downloaded it should be in your tools section. look for a file called Configuration file. There should be a built in editor on there server for you to alter it. I use pingperfect they have 2 editor versions one allows me to change the core of all the info while the other only allows me to change specific info. The versions are Text Editor and Configuration Editor. When I need to change info like you need to change I have to use the Built in Text Editor.

Check your tools section.

We trying now to connect the servers at pingperfect

necropolis to drachenfels is working but not necropolis tu sundal

and further i see no options to transphär via the ebony wand

As is see PP is using the "old" server id´s and move them forward to the PP server id´s in the config file below.

still working on connection, i dont know why this isnt working, but i am glad that James help me via skype, i hope he can fix this.

Eject

ow the travel via portals are working at all maps, but if i try to fly over the border it doenst work, maybe players can travel with ships to other servers

and still no option in the ebony wand

Edited by Eject

Make sure you have the right server ids in nearby servers (the place where you set what borders are connected)