Sign in to follow this  
Alexgopen

Remove twitter deed alerts

[20:07:29] You enter Failujah.
[20:07:29] A horn sounds and the gates are locked. Failujah is put on alert!

Seconds later on Steam...

Towelie: Dont think I didnt see that
Towelie: ###### you and your aged horse

Yes please

• Like 8

pls it will encourage people to actually be logged on

• Like 1

+1 encourage people to actually live at their villages

• Like 3

+1 i hate logging in to no raid. gets my hopes up. ffs.

should be tested on the live server for a few months, i can see a lot of non-essential deeds being removed and the land being freed for things like potential PMKs.or what have you

• Like 1

Just gets replaced with logging alts that can feed alarms from event tab to irc bots, rather keep it available to everyone

• Like 2

Can't expect a player to be logged in 24/7 in case something happens over the coarse of months/years.

encourages people living in villages together as apposed to everyone having their own deed

• Like 2

Again, to keep enough people on around the clock you would need villagers from around the world and people to fill on for vacation days, weekends and sick days.

why so you can raid while people are at work? There is never anything wrong with twitter alarm.  You are raiding for a fight or just to beat up some walls?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaurizioAM said:

just to beat up some walls?

gotta grind catapulting somehow

Rather have twitter alarms than the ninja raids of the past and random alts logged in 24/7.

But I don't see an issue in adding a delay on alerts for X min as long as catapults/bashing trigger the twitter alarm instantly.

Thus people can trigger and ride past deeds more carefree, but proper raids that stick around get detected which was the point of the system.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 1

i could go either way on this one...

so ima give it a +1 and a -1...

however, if twitter was removed, the event msg needs removed as well, just make it use the onscreen popup and no event msg

4 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Can't expect a player to be logged in 24/7 in case something happens over the coarse of months/years.

remember back in the old days where people only put down deeds that were actively lived in

wardeed meta is ###### and kills the pvp in the game

+1

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaurizioAM said:

why so you can raid while people are at work? There is never anything wrong with twitter alarm.  You are raiding for a fight or just to beat up some walls?

If you're at work it makes no difference lol

• Like 1

i never understood why this is even in the game...

dont get me wrong, i see how good it can be and ive seen it a couple times in the last year, but still, to have it in such a game makes no sense to me

+1

Hurts the little guys more than it hurts the ones over extending really, maybe need to find a better solution for war deeds but really if the karma porting has a join delay for use then what does it really matter if someones deed alarm goes off on the other side of the map when it takes three years to mount and send a defence.

Not getting an alarm for a war deed - No real loss unless you don't notice for long enough to remove deed, war deeds aren't the pot at the end of the rainbow full of loot and unicorns

Not getting an alarm for the little guys who only have the one deed and not enough active players to hold constant watch - Complete loss of not only everything they own but their only place to live.

The ones that stand to lose everything are far less likely to have the motivation to rebuild and resupply unless your distaste for war deeds is greater than your concern for player retention. If you think these little guys should join a bigger village or bigger kingdom then try to keep in mind that not everyone wants to play the same cookie cutter play style or even wants to be part of a zerg, and some cant handle the pc stress of large villages. No one should be forced to convert or give up their deed alert (and as such potentially their deed) for the sake of freely raiding a war deed and getting no war in the process.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

if the karma porting has a join delay for use then what does it really matter if someones deed alarm goes off on the other side of the map when it takes three years to mount and send a defence.

This, I was behind the removal of the twitter deed alerts, but karma teleports are the real problem.

1 hour ago, SmeJack said:

Hurts the little guys more than it hurts the ones over extending really, maybe need to find a better solution for war deeds but really if the karma porting has a join delay for use then what does it really matter if someones deed alarm goes off on the other side of the map when it takes three years to mount and send a defence.

Not getting an alarm for a war deed - No real loss unless you don't notice for long enough to remove deed, war deeds aren't the pot at the end of the rainbow full of loot and unicorns

Not getting an alarm for the little guys who only have the one deed and not enough active players to hold constant watch - Complete loss of not only everything they own but their only place to live.

The ones that stand to lose everything are far less likely to have the motivation to rebuild and resupply unless your distaste for war deeds is greater than your concern for player retention. If you think these little guys should join a bigger village or bigger kingdom then try to keep in mind that not everyone wants to play the same cookie cutter play style or even wants to be part of a zerg, and some cant handle the pc stress of large villages. No one should be forced to convert or give up their deed alert (and as such potentially their deed) for the sake of freely raiding a war deed and getting no war in the process.

after playing for (almost a year?) in two very small Chaos kingdoms, I have to strongly disagree with the whole "hurts little guys" thing. We came to Chaos last with 6 people, got attacked often but always had someone online at the time ( before deed alarm was even popped we'd have messages going out ) but we also like doubled our numbers in a couple of weeks, and then split in half/freedom.
then the group got pushed to chaos cause it had too few to defend from so many, but that's not the point. Although we were pretty conveniently spaced for timezones, we cared about our deed and often had people logged in, This was with an enemy deed with roughly ~6 people at peak times 3 locals out from us, our numbers could've been matched at any point in the day, etc etc.

I mean some people live alone at their villages and are around often enough to let people know it's being attacked. I'm sure you can manage with a kingdom

Your personal anecdote doesn't apply to all 'small' deeds nor set the rule, if you place the mark at 6 villagers who cover all time zones that's a bit bigger than small imo - still small but not exactly what I had in mind. I'm thinking a couple guys who don't spend their whole day in wurm with nothing else to do or other games to play who may benefit from an alert if they are around to respond and likely both sleeping at the same time.

• Like 1

so you're saying that you think 2 people per village is what we're aiming for here?
i would call that hardly lived in.
e: just my two cents, didn't mean for it to sound hostile, but I definitely think we need to be squeezing people into actually living into villages, more than like 2 person villages ofc. No sprawling, there's not much free space on Chaos.

Edited by Soil

I'm not saying its ideal or what I would even want personally, I'm just explaining that not everyone can or wants to live in a massive capital and punishing them in a game that can already be harsh because of the use of war deeds and karma porting or people wanting to raid in peace seems extreme when there are better solutions that are not going to be kicking people when they are down.

17 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

So remove event messages for deed alarm entirely :)

Then you have local logged for "<Spirit Templar> I'll remove your hat, Alex!"

Then you have two different enemy presence messages

Then you still have other ways that even f2p alts can tell if enemy are there (although this requires someone being on the account)

Then if you remove f2p entirely it becomes stupid p2w prem alts that can see the full local

Fix karma teleporting in a way that prevents war deed abuse without hurting legit villagers (afterall, the said motive behind this is to enforce living at deeds right?) and I don't think this is much of a problem.

Zeke's idea of a delay for non-raids has some merit if anything is changed as long as it's not super delayed, just add stuff like lockpicking to the cata/bashing stuff.  That's assuming that cata from off deed would now trigger alarm anyway...